James Vandenberg vs Jake Christensen through Seven Games

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
There were some of you comparing the two earlier this season, and I discounted it. Perhaps my memory of Jake is just too negatively clouded by how effective I thought he would be, which didn't turn out that way.

Marc Morehouse tweeted this a bit ago:

A friend e-mailed this to me: Jake Christensen--First 7 games of 2007: 121-217 (55.8%) for 1334, 11 TDs and 2 INTs.
And Vandenberg: First 7 games of 2012: 130-232 (56%) for 1304, 3 TDs and 5 INTs. Circumstances are different, new OC and all. But close #s.

Wow. Pretty staggering.

EDIT: I decided to look up the numbers myself...what Marc was emailed was very close, but not quite exactly accurate. I pulled up my old 2007 Iowa Cume stats through seven games and here is what the numbers are:

JC: 217-121 (55.8%) 11TD, 2INT 1,334 yards, rating of 122.8
JVB: 231-129 (55.8%) 3TD, 5INT 1,323 yards, rating of 103.9

Also, here is the national rankings of the 2007 offense for its 12 game season vs where Iowa is right now through just seven games. I suspect many of Iowa's rankings will get worse than they are now. 2007 is on left, Iowa's current 2012 season on right:

Screen-Shot-2012-10-22-at-11.09.11-AM.png

One of the things 2007 had going against it was the offensive line; that was a shaky group and Jake Christensen was sacked more than all but a handful of quarterbacks in the NCAA that year; Iowa allowed 46 sacks. This year through seven games, they've allowed just 11 through seven games, on pace to allow just 19 in 12 games.

In 2007 and through seven games, Iowa was averaging 6.1 yards per pass attempt and 11.0 per completion. This year through seven games they are averaging 5.7 yards per pass attempt and 10.3 yards per completion...with eight fewer touchdown passes and two more interceptions as a team (5 this year, just 3 through seven games in 2007 and two for Jake Christensen).

I just cannot believe these numbers, given that Vandenberg entered this year with 14 career starts and Jake entered the 2007 season having been the backup to Drew Tate, and even Jason Manson started the game for Iowa against Syracuse in 2006 when Tate was injured.

And given all of this, Iowa may one of of just a few schools in the nation who hasn't had their backup play one snap. Not one.

In the six Ferentz era years where iowa has won eight or more games they had either a rush or score defense in the national Top 10. There's the formula. Without that, no shot. That's way too many eggs being put into one basket.

Last edited:
This season is damn near mirroring 2007. James and Jake look identical. A crappy season opener barely beating NIU in Chi-town. Losing to an inept ISU team. Losing to a directional Michigan team. Beating MSU in overtime.

Comical really.

This thread is going to become an open can of worms for the "Bench JVB" crowd.

Those numbers certainly indicate how much worse JVB has been compared to Jake Christensen. The TD -INT numbers are horrible for James.

Serious question Jon. I know you are a huge KF guy. There is a CLEAR pattern over the last 7 years and it is not a good one. What are your thoughts at this point on this coaching staff. I feel that he continues to get more and more stubborn as time goes on. I feel he gets more and more defiant with fans/media's criticism, and though it sounds ridiculous when I say it, it seems he coaches sometimes with a staunch middle finger up for those people. I think he did an amazing job in restoring what Hayden built, but I don't believe that his brand of football and leadership will allow for consistent success. If he can't do it with the worst B10 conference ever, when will he? He has wasted A LOT of NFL talent in the past few years. What are your thoughts/feelings right now?

Yes, I was beginning to think JVB was doing worse than JC but didn't think the numbers were that terrible.

JVB's numbers through 7 games have to be at or near the top of the all-time list for bad QB play at Iowa.

I really hope someone asks Kirk Ferentz about those numbers in this weekly presser. I know what the answers will be, but the numbers make it hard to defend the decision to NOT give another QB a chance.

Wouldn't a more accurate comparison be to compare JC 2007 stats with JVB 2011 stats?

Yes, because that's when they were both first year starters. But it's just not a fair comparison because Jake had O'Keefe and James doesn't. Heck, compare James' numbers when he had O'Keefe. O'Keefe is an NFL caliber assistant, Davis got fired from Texas. End of story.

JVB's numbers through 7 games have to be at or near the top of the all-time list for bad QB play at Iowa.

I really hope someone asks Kirk Ferentz about those numbers in this weekly presser. I know what the answers will be, but the numbers make it hard to defend the decision to NOT give another QB a chance.

No one is ready.

Most of us saw this weeks ago and and now that the turd has finally become so water logged it has sank to the bottom of the toilet bowl will somebody please flush it!

There were some of you comparing the two earlier this season, and I discounted it. Perhaps my memory of Jake is just too negatively clouded by how effective I thought he would be, which didn't turn out that way.

Marc Morehouse tweeted this a bit ago:

Wow. Pretty staggering.

EDIT: I decided to look up the numbers myself...what Marc was emailed was very close, but not quite exactly accurate. I pulled up my old 2007 Iowa Cume stats through seven games and here is what the numbers are:

JC: 217-121 (55.8%) 11TD, 2INT 1,334 yards, rating of 122.8
JVB: 231-129 (55.8%) 3TD, 5INT 1,323 yards, rating of 103.9

I wouldn't call those numbers "close." Jake blows him away, especially on the TD/INT ratio.

if Jake was known as the worst Iowa QB in the ferentz era then he'll have to vacate his spot in the Iowa hall of shame at the end of the year.

The TD number is what is mind blowing. To think if we had the 11 TDs from the QB this year, we would probably be undefeated.

I still think he's a hell of a lot better than Jake, all things considered.....I think he's so frustrated and uncomfortable with how things are going in this system that he just can't deal, he tries too hard to make things work that he knows he can't control. He needs to employ the KISS method once in a while. Just pay attention to the game itself, James. Patience, composure, AWARENESS, etc...............................he does have the tools to make things work. Not sure we'll see things work any time soon though. Least not until he accepts that he can't super charge this system by trying too hard.....

Jake didn't have many excuses as to why he favored turf over WR's.

I'm still hung up on the fact that they should have perma-benched Jake and let Stanzi run the show after the first few sharings, IMHO Rick could have matured into a good QB a lot faster than he did.