James Vandenberg a Viking

I'm a lifelong Vikings fan and will be following Vandenberg in Mankato this pre-season. Minnesota doesn't run a downfield passing offense and still uses a varation of the West Coast which isn't in the mold of Vandenberg. Right now the Viking QB situation sits like this.

1. Ponder
2. Cassell
3. Webb (He might move fulltime to WR)
4. Bethal-Thompson

Bethal-Thompson made the Vikings last year after a stint in Canada I believe and looked really good in pre-season games. He's got the NFL body and has a strong arm but was never active last season. Joe Webb is not a good QB and should have stayed a WR when he was drafted. The problem is the Vikings never once looked at Bethal-Thompson when Webb struggled in the playoff game. I think they like Thompson but Vandenberg may have a slight shot (5%?) to make the team if Webb moves to WR.

Vandenberg picked the Vikings over the Cowboys so he must think Minnesota is his best chance to make the team. I'll be rooting for him because dispite the Vikings offense not being a total fit for him, I do feel that part of his struggles last season were due to Greg Davis, and poor WR play. Maybe he can light it up and stick with the practice squad at least. This is a make or break year for Ponder and if he doesn't improve Minnesota will be looking elsewhere for a QB. Cassel makes a lot of money as well so if Minnesota wants to dump salary an keep Vandenberg they may.

Very slim chance but I am glad I will be able to follow his attempt to make the Vikings.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Webb has been moved to WR and will be given a chance to make the roster there this offseason. If he doesnt make the roster, he will be cut.

Vandy has to beat out Bethel-Thompson for the #3 QB spot.

His best chance may actually be Bethal-Thompson beating out Cassell for #2, which is possible. They won't keep Cassell as a third-string. Cassell would be gone and Vandenberg would be the #3. (webb is a WR now)

Man some of you are pathetic. I'll never cheer against an ex hawk

Lets not forget what this guy did at QB BEFORE we hired our god awful OC.

I have a Jon Beutjer Illinois jersey I am looking to unload. Please advise price you are willing to pay.

As a Griefs fan, I would not be shocked to see Cassel head to the three spot. He's aweful. If he does, that bodes well for JVB. Cassel is too expensive for a No. 3 spot. If he can't keep the No. 2, look for him to be traded.

Another thing that changed was he didn't have McNutt around. So maybe we saw the real JVB his Senior season, without a great receiver to make plays and draw attention. JVB obviously has shown some physical skills to make it as far as he has after the poor results of last season. If he goes on to be even an NFL backup holding a clipboard, then I would say the system failed him at Iowa.

Im sorry but nothing about that logic makes sense. So when Vandenburg had a good receiver in a system he and the receiver understandood that was not the real Vandenburg?

So every QB that does better with good receivers is not the "real them"?

Mcnutt was a minor detail compared to changing offensive coordinators. No body, most of all Greg Davis, knew what the hell was going on in his "system".

Anyone who designs tight end routes that go zero yards on 3 rd and 7 is an idiot.