James Morris/Shane DiBona/Ross Petersen

1013Hawk

Just want to give these young guys some props for playing really well today,especially with the lack of experience in such a huge game for the Hawks. Nice work fellas!!

Yeah they played great today.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer just want your thought about Dibona. Did anyone else think he was a bit slow? On that TD MSU had looked a bit slow or it just could be I was ****** they scored. thoughts?

Last edited:
Agreed! Great experience for these guys. The entire D just stepped it up today. It was SO good to see. Anybody doubt whether it had something to do with Norm back in the mix? Welcome back, Norm! Take care of yourself; we need you!

Ross Petersen is a 5th yr player from my hometown of Durant. He has battled position changes and a spring injury after being 2nd on depth chart this spring to finally get some well deserved playing time. Has been #2 on depth chart last few weeks behind Nielsen and has been on special teams lately. I thought he played well and big congrats to him for showing that wiuth some hard work and overcoming some adversity that things work out well in the end. Morris will be a fixture for years to come. Great game Hawks!!! Wish we could have played like this last week. But let's move on and find a way each week!!

Ross Petersen is a 5th yr player from my hometown of Durant. He has battled position changes and a spring injury after being 2nd on depth chart this spring to finally get some well deserved playing time. Has been #2 on depth chart last few weeks behind Nielsen and has been on special teams lately. I thought he played well and big congrats to him for showing that wiuth some hard work and overcoming some adversity that things work out well in the end. Morris will be a fixture for years to come. Great game Hawks!!! Wish we could have played like this last week. But let's move on and find a way each week!!

Right on, Moose! Go Wildcats and go Hawks! Way to go Ross!

Morris really does look like he has the potential to be the best ever at Iowa. A mix between the best of Angerer, Greenway, and Station.

Morris was spectacular today, especially in the first half. He was EVERYWHERE! He's going to be something special by the time he's done.

I wondered what the deal was with Petersen being a 5th year senior I thought he would be more in the mix for PT time, but with the injuries and the position switch I get it now.

Morris was spectacular today, especially in the first half. He was EVERYWHERE! He's going to be something special by the time he's done.

You think he beats out Davis or slides over to Hunter's WIL spot?

You think he beats out Davis or slides over to Hunter's WIL spot?

I see what you did there! :D

Anyway, this is just my opinion, but at this point, I would say Morris slides over. I don't know a whole lot about our depth, but Morris is pretty athletic, and better suited to handle receivers than just about everybody we'll have next year. And Davis is a good run stuffer. The unit would be stronger by moving Morris to the outside for next year, IMO.

From all I've read and heard about Morris, I'd leave him at the Mike to be the leader of the defense. He already looked great running the show today.

Looking to 2011 at LB ... it's a tough call concerning Bruce Davis. DiBona has already now seen some quality reps as a RS FR ... Kirksey is a young gun who oozes athleticism and potential ... and Morris will NOT be denied a starting spot in 2011.

I think that the key will probably end up being how Bruce continues to progress in coverage through the upcoming camps. If he doesn't progress adequately, then I think that Iowa might be better off having DiBona/Kirksey start at WILL and then keep Morris at the MIKE spot.

However, if Bruce proves to not be a liability in coverage, then it would be a nice luxury to have him start as a SR. We'll see though ....

Looking to 2011 at LB ... it's a tough call concerning Bruce Davis. DiBona has already now seen some quality reps as a RS FR ... Kirksey is a young gun who oozes athleticism and potential ... and Morris will NOT be denied a starting spot in 2011.

I think that the key will probably end up being how Bruce continues to progress in coverage through the upcoming camps. If he doesn't progress adequately, then I think that Iowa might be better off having DiBona/Kirksey start at WILL and then keep Morris at the MIKE spot.

However, if Bruce proves to not be a liability in coverage, then it would be a nice luxury to have him start as a SR. We'll see though ....

Sometimes I can't tolerate your blowhard BS...but I think on this one you're dead on. I didn't think Morris could handle B10 play as a relatively undersized MLB, but I'm not concerned anymore, and I openly admit I was wrong. The kid just makes plays and does what is necessary to get the job done. I think DiBona had a solid showing today and will definitely be in the mix for the remainder of the season and in the spring. I was most surprised at the number of LBs IA played today...but I was more surprised MSU abandoned the run so quickly and seemingly never even gave their RBs a chance to get into any groove today. MSU may have the best running game in the B10, and against IA's somewhat inexperienced and occasionally undersized LBs, it seems MSU wasn't interested in challenging IA's D, which really surprised me. But for the next couple seasons, I'm fairly confident what IA's LBs will bring to the table, namely Morris, DiBona, and Kirksey. The future definitely looks bright.

No way Bruce beats out Morris. Morris is the total package. Bruce is a limited run stuffer. It really is about the same as the Angerer and Coleman comparison, except Coleman had a bigger frame than Angerer, while Morris has a bigger frame than Davis.

If Bruce sticks around, he will be a valuable back-up and ST leader.

They played a good game, as did Coker, who probably won't be redshirting next year. The Iowa football program is at it's highest level ever and the future looks bright.

Sometimes I can't tolerate your blowhard BS...but I think on this one you're dead on. I didn't think Morris could handle B10 play as a relatively undersized MLB, but I'm not concerned anymore, and I openly admit I was wrong. The kid just makes plays and does what is necessary to get the job done.
The relatively few of us that had the good fortune to watch James as he progressed the last three years at Solon aren't that surprised. He is not your average freshman, maturity or otherwise

I was pleased with all three of them. Did anyone else see DiBona clothesline that Michigan State player on a kickoff return? That was pretty sweet.

I was pleased with all three of them. Did anyone else see DiBona clothesline that Michigan State player on a kickoff return? That was pretty sweet.

That was awesome...that was a Butkus play!

Disclaimer: Before anyone goes "there", I'm not comparing him to the Hall of Famer, just the play itself...

Congrats to a player like Ross Peterson, it's been a journey. He's living the dream.

Latest posts