Jake Kelly's numbers at Indiana State

TalkHawk

Just under 10 points a game - 9.5

shooting 36% from the floor.

32% from behind the arc.

I thought he would be scoring at a little higher rate.

Maybe he needs some time to progress in a new program.

Shouldn't he be a better scorer than this in the MVC?

I think that is probably on par with the first half of his season from one year ago actually. And they have played a pretty decent schedule this year, one Sagarin says is tougher than Iowa's. I think he will be fine before the year is out.

Here's a different perspective. Maybe last year Kelly simply had an "eff you" stretch to end the year (phrase borrowed from Bill Simmons). He was like, "Hey Lickliter, look what I could do if you weren't so darn restrictive on me. I'm getting the heck out of here and this is what you'll be missing."

Maybe he lacks that extra motivation this year.

He's playing on an 8-3 team with other weapons besides him. He's contributing and doesn't really need to be "the man" although I'm sure he would like to be playing a bit better.

Parquet stole my answer. I think last year he had no choice but to put up a bunch of shots and control the game...it could be that he hasn't settled into his new role with a team that doesn't require him to be the #1 option night in and night out. Some guys need to control the ball quite a bit to be effective...other guys can be very effective only touching the ball for a few seconds per possession.

In his two years at Iowa, Jake was a bit of a slow starter, last year probably due to his finger ligament and broken finger injuries, the year before due to his frosh status. Both years his best performances were in the second half of the Big Ten slate.

Indiana State is also a guard dominated team..they return a lot from last year and the two leading scorers are also guards.

Here's a different perspective. Maybe last year Kelly simply had an "eff you" stretch to end the year (phrase borrowed from Bill Simmons). He was like, "Hey Lickliter, look what I could do if you weren't so darn restrictive on me. I'm getting the heck out of here and this is what you'll be missing."

yeah, I'm sure that its. LOL.

Good replies.

Makes sense.

I was just visioning a kid that could be a 1st team all MVC type of player the way Jake played at the end of last year.

Maybe it is taking him or will take him most of the year to learn the new coaches 'system' because it is so difficult and won't 'really get it' until he is a senior.

Does ISU walk the ball up the court or do they play an uptempo style of ball? If they play an uptempo style of ball, the style will be a more natural style and he probably will adapt to it easier, plus he will get to run fast breaks again. Just think of the fun he will have getting to run fast breaks with other guards again!

If you're correct (see bolded), then JK is a small person and lied why he left the program. It was reported that TL personally plead Kelly's case to the NCAA for Kelly to have immediate elgibility.

Continually bringing up formers players that quit the team is nothing more that piling on and serves no purpose....maybe the poster feel better?

I'm sure the present players that are still presenting the Hawkeyes and us, really appreciate this constant barrage of demeaning their team.

Just my my opinion......

Latest posts