Jake Duzey commits to Iowa

My point good sir, is sarcasm is not tolerated on "Choose Your Secret WR" from someone who puts stock into the star system.

6-0/170/4.50

#7 **** DeAnthony Arnett

6-2/175/4.50

#12 **** DaVaris Daniels

http://iowa.scout.com/a.z?s=8&p=8&c=1&nid=4267234
5-9/160/4.35

#14 **** Damiere Byrd

6-4/215/4.49
#46 *** Jake Duzey

OOOOOOOOOH, if you care about stars and picked Jake Duzey, you're outta luck <aaaaaw>

BUT, if you picked Jake Duzey for his overall physical tools and didn't rely on the lame star system, YOU"RE A WINNER! <loud applause!>

These "measureables" reported on these sites are practically worthless, even more so than the stars. The majority of them are self-reported and inflated. Plus, none of the measureables gives you any indication of explosiveness, fluidity, or other football-related skill sets. If you truly wanted to measure the quality of "athlete" we were getting we would need cone drills, jumps (vertical/broad), powercleans, ect... I assure you there are things Arnett can do that Duzey can't despite having the same self-reported 40 time. If the site gives you a SPARQ rating this will give some indication of overall explosiveness.

These "measureables" reported on these sites are practically worthless, even more so than the stars. The majority of them are self-reported and inflated. Plus, none of the measureables gives you any indication of explosiveness, fluidity, or other football-related skill sets. If you truly wanted to measure the quality of "athlete" we were getting we would need cone drills, jumps (vertical/broad), powercleans, ect... I assure you there are things Arnett can do that Duzey can't despite having the same self-reported 40 time. If the site gives you a SPARQ rating this will give some indication of overall explosiveness.

lol oooooooooooooooook - timeout....

i did this cheesy comparison to associate that there is more to recruiting than just the star system. to your point, there is obviously more than self reported height/weight/40 times as well.

no need to sell your argument, I get what you're saying

Duzey wasn't even recruited at WR, so why would folks be trying to count him among our WR recruits?

Duzey was recruited as a versatile TE/H-back type. However, as others have noted, Duzey also obviously fits the Edds mold. My bet is that if TE/H-back doesn't work out for Duzey ... the coaches on D will be more than happy to nab him.

Re: Possible name of new commit?

I already said I trust them I just said that I'd like to have a higher class guy. Would you rather have a super athlete or a kid that has a possibilty of having a future. Yes both could be awesome or bust, but the odds of the superior athlete being better are higher.
Yep just like Jake Christensen, Dan Doering, Ryan Bain, Kalvin Bailey and Cedric Everson. All were 4 or 5 star players that had outstanding Iowa careers.

Based on who has offered him, it seems as though he isn't that great of a prospect. But then again I trust KF.

Iowa has been, at times, a legit top 10 team in the country.

I trust KF.

Look at McNutt. He's 6-4, right? He's going to be freakin awesome this year.

Also, what the hell is an ISUhawk. You seem confused.

I already said I trust them I just said that I'd like to have a higher class guy. Would you rather have a super athlete or a kid that has a possibilty of having a future. Yes both could be awesome or bust, but the odds of the superior athlete being better are higher.

So a 4.49 40 and 33 inch vertical, at 6'4" 219 lbs., as a high schooler, doesn't impress you? Are you implying that this kid doesn't fit into your definition of a "super athlete"?

Duzey wasn't even recruited at WR, so why would folks be trying to count him among our WR recruits?

Duzey was recruited as a versatile TE/H-back type. However, as others have noted, Duzey also obviously fits the Edds mold. My bet is that if TE/H-back doesn't work out for Duzey ... the coaches on D will be more than happy to nab him.

I was looking to hear your take on this kid homer. It seems to me we are recruiting a few kids that are medium to high in athleticism with big bodies and decent speed that can be molded into many positions. The main thing I notice is that we have a lot more kids that seem to be grounded emotionally. A few in the 2005-2006 class didn't pan out as we all know.

Derby, Blythe, Hamilton come to mind. Is this a conscience effort by Kirk to get kids that while not being "pure" athletes, will have the work ethic and fortitude to develop in his system?

I was looking to hear your take on this kid homer. It seems to me we are recruiting a few kids that are medium to high in athleticism with big bodies and decent speed that can be molded into many positions. The main thing I notice is that we have a lot more kids that seem to be grounded emotionally. A few in the 2005-2006 class didn't pan out as we all know.

Derby, Blythe, Hamilton come to mind. Is this a conscience effort by Kirk to get kids that while not being "pure" athletes, will have the work ethic and fortitude to develop in his system?

Welcome aboard Jake!!

IMO alot of athletes play out of position in the lower levels of athletics so it is very wise for KF and Co. to get sound players willing to put in the hard work and evaluate them as they progress so they get to the position that best fits their ability and mentality. The Zookers of the world just tell the kids what they want to hear and then they don't always get a chance to use heir talents to the best result.

trapperjon -

My take is largely based on what I've observed the coaches do in the past. Just look at what the coaches did recruiting-wise in '06 and '07.

In '06 the coaches took the following versatile LB/TE/DE types:

Morse - 3-year starter at FB
Hunter - 3-year starter at LB
Johnson - key back-up at LB
Clayborn - 3-year starter at DE
Gattas - key back-up at LB
Klug - 2-year starter at DT
Edds - 3-year starter at LB
Julian Smith - never got past the clearinghouse
Tarp - (projected) 1-year starter at LB

NINE GUYS!

After recruiting so many guys of that particular body-type, the coaches would place less emphasis on such guys, right?

Here's the '07 group (TE/LB/DE-types):

Reisner - projected starter in 2010 and key backup in the past at TE
Davis - impact ST player and key backup at LB (possible starter in 2011)
Daniels - key backup at DT (definite starter in 2011)
Daniel - key backup at DE (likely starter in 2011)
Coleman - potential star at LB but no longer on squad
Furlong - likely a late bloomer at best at TE
Moses - extremely promising guy at LB but no longer on squad
Binns - projected 2-year starter at DE
Nielsen - projected starter in 2010

WOW! Yet another haul of 9 TE/LB/DE types! Mind you I didn't include Ballard because he has quite a different body type. He has more of a TE/OL/DL body-type in my estimation.

Now look at the guys Iowa landed in 2010 of the same sort of mold ...

Fiedorowicz
Donavan Johnson
Derby
Kirksey
Vier
Trinca-Pasat
Poggi
Gray
Morris

Frame-wise Johnson and Trinca-Pasat are definitely guys who are more slated to land on the DL. Thus, they're "not on the table" for the Wilson or Johnson to fight over to man LB or TE spots. Furthermore, O'Keefe looks like he has a "keeper" in Derby at the QB spot ... so there's one fewer TE/LEO LB-type on the table. Lastly, Vier and Fiedorowicz are kinda more like Ballard (only taller). Thus, they're on the verge of being more like TE/OL-types.

Thus, the above break-down kinda foreshadows what we're now seeing in the 2011 recruiting class. The coaches clearly want to land a number of high-caliber "glue guys" who fit this TE/LB/DE mold. Look at the current list of them ...

Duzey
Raymon
Hamilton
Krieger-Coble

Thus, if history is any indicator, we should probably expect to see roughly around 5 more TE/LB/DE-types. Of such a group, I can immediately imagine us landing 2 or 3 guys who project more directly at LB (like out of Fisher, Spears, Daniel, Price, or Orloff), 2 guys who project more directly at DE, and 1 guy who is more of an ATH (like French).

Anyhow, as for my impression of Duzey ... I'm absolutely stoked. He fits EXACTLY what we need in the 2011 class. We've needing a guy like him for a while. The coaches were going hard after such types in the 2010 class but seemingly missed on them. Duzey then fills a VERY important niche for us.

IMO alot of athletes play out of position in the lower levels of athletics so it is very wise for KF and Co. to get sound players willing to put in the hard work and evaluate them as they progress so they get to the position that best fits their ability and mentality. The Zookers of the world just tell the kids what they want to hear and then they don't always get a chance to use heir talents to the best result.

Yes I understand what our coaching staff can do with these types of guys and love how they do it, but just imagine what they could do with someone who is way more skilled than them. Just because they are highly recruited doesn't mean that they are bad people and don't have work ethic. Diamonds in the rough are awesome to find but are very tough to find also.

Really? Any true hawkeye fan knows that stars mean absolutely nothing when it comes to Ferentz and his staff. We sign role players not primadonnas. That's why USC and Florida exist.

Since he is being recruited by Phil Parker, my thought is that he is being recruited at safety and not WR.

Amp - coaches recruit by geography, not by position. Not many 6'4" safties roaming around the backfield either......

Latest posts