Jacobson signs 10 year extension

What's his buyout?

I'm thinking this contract extension is just a way for the University of Iowa to fund UNI sports for the next few years, given reductions in state funding. :)

Smart man, he has a good thing going there at Northern Iowa. Probably doesn't want to make the same mistake his mentor Greg McDermott made.

Not a bad move for him to stay in a steady stable situation with a pay raise. I'm guessing McDermott had some influence on this decision. If UNI wins another game or more he will be a huge deal in Cedar Falls for many years. I really didn't think anyone could pass up the money from a bigger school, but I applaud him for doing so. I really thought he would be in Minnesota. UNI has a lot of guys that have played from Minnesota in the past 5-6 years.

Lute is from Grand Forks ND. I know he graduated from Central High in Grand Forks. Perhaps he was born in Mayville.

Re: Cross Jacobson off the list (if he was on it)

This was a statement by Jacobson that he wasn't interested in the Iowa job. Good. It's mutual.

Just because he signed this extension doesn't mean he will not go somewhere else. I don't think he was going to Iowa anyway, but signing this extension with UNI not only helps out UNI but Jacobson as well. I think it ups what anybody would offer him if they wanted him as their coach, and if UNI was smart they put a goodsized buyout into play. It could have been a situation where they were looking out for one another? If he wants to stay at UNI, good for him!

UNI must be heaven, or he wants to be big fish in small pond. Gregory at Dayton makes $800,000 and Iowa or others would bring more than that.

Maybe he realizes (correctly) that Iowa basketball fans aren't realistic and there is no way he would ever be given the needed time to rebuild this program.

On another note, take a look at Tom Davis' record at Stanford prior to being hired by Iowa. What would the reaction be by some in Hawkeye Land if Barta pulled the trigger on someone with a similar record?

I think he is probably pretty smart to stay at UNI. Look at the number of mid-major coaches that crash and burn when they take the bigger jobs for more money. Sometime it works out, but Ben can be treated like a God where he is at.

Mac probably wishes he never left UNI. I wonder if Lick feels the same way about Butler?

Last edited:

I think he is probably pretty smart to stay at UNI. Look at the number of mid-major coaches that crash and burn when they take the bigger jobs for more money. Sometime it works out, but Ben can be treated like a God where he is at.

Mac probably wishes he never left UNI. I wonder if Lick feels the same way about Butler?

Undoubtedly both would probably turn back the clock if they could.

Jake could still bolt for a bigger school for 1.5 - 2 Million per year. IF UNI wins Friday, I would be surprised if he is not gone to somewhere like Oregon, St.JOhns, Depaul, etc for the huge pay increase. Couldn't blame him, but I hope he stays at UNI. Lickliter and Mac would probably tell him to stay.

Latest posts