Jack Nunge's minutes

VTHawk

I know this won't happen and will be an unpopular opinion, but I would like to see Jack Nunge as a starter. If not at least get more playing time. I know people will say that we need him for when Garza is out or in foul trouble but I think it might shore up the defense and rebounding not to mention scoring. I would love to see two guys out there at 6'11".

Bohannon is great but streaky. Bohannon gets more minutes and I think it might be better to have Nunge getting at least equal time if not a bit more.

I know this won't happen and will be an unpopular opinion, but I would like to see Jack Nunge as a starter. If not at least get more playing time. I know people will say that we need him for when Garza is out or in foul trouble but I think it might shore up the defense and rebounding not to mention scoring. I would love to see two guys out there at 6'11".

Bohannon is great but streaky. Bohannon gets more minutes and I think it might be better to have Nunge getting at least equal time if not a bit more.
Against zones, maybe. You could put Nunge in the sweet spot near the foul line and he stays out of Luke's way.. But other than that I like him right where he is. He gives Luka a rest, can play alongside him for some stretches, and Joe W has gotten off to a great start and you can't mess that up. Bohannon is still valuable as a passer and faciltater even as he struggles to find consistency with his shooting.

Naw, it ain't broke now, so don't need to fix anything. Besides, Nunge has like, what, 5 years of eligibility left? Still, who could have foreseen his play coming after his adversity? But, when Garza getting quadruple teamed, and the outside shot isn't dropping- Nunge and Garza need to be on the floor together...............

He is going to become the focal point after Garza leaves. Amazing what age and maturity does for an player. Had some doubts he would become a great player, but he has erased them all. Makes losing Garza next year not so worrisome. Now we need to have the lad from Britain follow the same formula as Garza and Nunge have.

It's not a crazy idea. Before the season I'd thought the same thing. I don't think Fran will do it though. What he's doing is working pretty well. Thank God we had Nunge last night. He was the best player on the floor in the 1st half. Hands down and without it who knows how that first half plays out.

The 2nd half well... Let's just say Garza made up for lost time and then some. Geesh.

I like having one to bail out the other in foul trouble, though. Last night was a good example. If both were getting the same chunk of minutes and both got in early foul trouble we’d be hosed against a lot of teams.

IMO Fran is doing the right thing by making them complimentary.

They went into last season with Nunge as the starter so it wouldn't surprise me to see Fran put him back in the lineup. Either way Nunge's play will earn him more minutes so it doesn't really matter if he's not on the court for the opening tip.

BTW, if you think your opinion will be unpopular I think I can beat that in saying I think Toussaint should be starting over Bohannon. Yes Bohannon scored some clutch baskets in the NC game but that's about all he brings to the table (which is valuable). When they need a clutch 3 I want Bohannon in the game, otherwise I like what JT brings to the court both defensively and offensively.

It would be tough to start Joe T. over JBo at this point. JBo defense is suspect, his lateral foot speed is a weakness but his ability to hit 3 balls and open up the floor is always a possibility. So far this season the line ups Fran has used is working. I see Fran sticking with the current rotation and riding it as long as possible.

It would be tough to start Joe T. over JBo at this point. JBo defense is suspect, his lateral foot speed is a weakness but his ability to hit 3 balls and open up the floor is always a possibility. So far this season the line ups Fran has used is working. I see Fran sticking with the current rotation and riding it as long as possible.
Bohannon is either on or off. I’d take consistency over that any day.

Give it up guys. JBO will start every game this year and play a lot of minutes. Joe T. will get lots of opportunities, will come off the bench and provide energy and a totally different kind of threat both on O and D. He will just keep getting better. Great kid!

I think the biggest problem with starting Nunge is the fact that after, let's say, 6 minutes, he and Garza both need a blow (don't we all?). It would be better for a fresh Nunge to be able to come in for Garza.

Give it up guys. JBO will start every game this year and play a lot of minutes. Joe T. will get lots of opportunities, will come off the bench and provide energy and a totally different kind of threat both on O and D. He will just keep getting better. Great kid!
I have no doubt he’s a great kid, nor do I see Fran not starting him. But it’s a message board and I expressed an opinion, it’s what we do here. I think Iowa is a better team when Toussaint is at the point.

I have no doubt he’s a great kid, nor do I see Fran not starting him. But it’s a message board and I expressed an opinion, it’s what we do here. I think Iowa is a better team when Toussaint is at the point.

Yes Toussaint is definitely more active, a triple threat and obviously a lot quicker. He is a guy that can make the defense move according to the way he moves on the court which can create a lot of baskets. And of course better defense period.

I love Bohannon don't get me wrong. I mean if not for him we might not have beaten North Carolina. He is deadly from beyond the arc and then some. We need him to shoot those 3's and that is not an understatement or putting it lightly.

I like Joe T a lot and do get frustrated watching bohanon's D and his struggle with tight defense, but I also think he is in there because of his passing, especially into the post. Our offense does still run through Garza.

I like Joe T a lot and do get frustrated watching bohanon's D and his struggle with tight defense, but I also think he is in there because of his passing, especially into the post. Our offense does still run through Garza.

I do not disagree that Bohannon is a terrific passer but Toussaint is not a shabby passer either.

I do not disagree that Bohannon is a terrific passer but Toussaint is not a shabby passer either.
True, but Bohannon is more dependable at this point. I think it's likely at some point this season we will need to depend on Joe T to play more minutes at point than Jordan, even if for just a game or two depending on matchups, and I have full confidence in him when he does.

I like having one to bail out the other in foul trouble, though. Last night was a good example. If both were getting the same chunk of minutes and both got in early foul trouble we’d be hosed against a lot of teams.

IMO Fran is doing the right thing by making them complimentary.
No question the extra rest due to foul trouble helped fuel Garza's second half three point barrage. His legs were fresher.

And it won't be the last time it happens this year. Garza shouldn't have to log 37+ minutes in conference play this year. Nunge alone makes us deeper at the four and five. And it will make Luka even better.

I HATE the JBo hate on this Board. Don't get it. Never will. Guy is an ice cold killer and the best 3 point shooter at Iowa ever. Love JT. But, I have never seen him win Iowa a game. I have seen Bohannon win several big time games.
Yup.