Jack Nunge Will Red Shirt

RobHowe

Administrator
UI Press Release:

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery announced on Thursday that sophomore Jack Nunge plans to redshirt the 2018-19 season.

The native of Newburgh, Indiana, saw action in all 33 games a year ago, ranking second on the team in blocked shots (25), fourth in steals (21), and fifth in scoring (5.7).

Nunge (6-foot-11, 235 pounds) is one of seven forwards on this year’s Iowa roster.

“After discussing with my family and coaching staff I have decided to redshirt this season,” said Nunge. “This decision is not related to an injury, but rather I would like to take the opportunity to use this year to grow my skillset and get stronger. We have an incredibly deep team and I look forward to helping make my teammates and myself better in practice this season.”

Nunge, who will have three years of eligibility remaining after this season, joins freshman CJFredrick as Iowa’s two redshirts in 2018-19.

Wow. What a bad ass move by him. Not many kids are smart enough to do something like this. I'm pumped about it for 2 reasons. It gives him another year to get better (like Uthoff) and it means he has no intentions of transferring. The second one makes me real happy because I think he has a really high season. Good job Jack!

Very interesting. I'm a bit shocked, but he's playing the long game. It's smart. It also tells me that either Keiner or Pemsl is killing it. He was in a dogfight and may have been in the 3rd position among these guys.

Wow! That's a very mature move by Nunge. Extremely unselfish of him and says a lot about his character and his willingness to be a team player. I think it will actually help the team. 11 player rotation, I feel is too much. 10 player rotation is more manageable. Last year I felt he should have taken a redshirt and at times we had too many players rotating in which became detrimental to the team. I think this will be a good move for both Nunge and the team.

I get the 4 is likely our deepest position but are there any examples of a player that red shirted their sophomore year not because of injury that came back more productive?

My initial thought is if Jack can’t earn playing time now, we missed on this recruit.

Especially when you consider Patrick is coming in to play the 4.

I really like this move. I think Nunge has the highest ceiling of the bigs outside of Cook. He was a wing player in high school and hit a growth spurt late. He's still catching up with his body. Has the skill set to be a pretty darn good stretch 4 and/or the size to be a unique stretch 5.

I think this is a great move. Now wieskamp and nunge are the same graduating class together and nunge will likely get 3 years to play without cook dominating the minutes.

I argued in May that it would make more sense for him to redshirt than Pemsl or Kreiner. He will have two full years after those two leave and it helps alleviate a huge logjam. And he will probably be one of or top options by then.

I've seen it work for Brad Lohaus, Les Jepsen, and Ethan Happ, and of course Uthoff who by rule had to sit a year. It shows that Fran has big plans for him down the road. It would be more difficult to redshirt Cordell or Ryan and have them come back still sort of caught in the spin cycle. It also helps Pemsl, who will have a now or never chance to show he can be a consistent contributor.

I argued in May that it would make more sense for him to redshirt than Pemsl or Kreiner. He will have two full years after those two leave and it helps alleviate a huge logjam. And he will probably be one of or top options by then.

I've seen it work for Brad Lohaus, Les Jepsen, and Ethan Happ, and of course Uthoff who by rule had to sit a year. It shows that Fran has big plans for him down the road. It would be more difficult to redshirt Cordell or Ryan and have them come back still sort of caught in the spin cycle. It also helps Pemsl, who will have a now or never chance to show he can be a consistent contributor.
The only reason there is a logjam is because our coach doesn’t have the stones to sit guys. There is no rule that you have to play every scholarship guy. Not having Nunge undoubtedly hurts us for this year. I think it’s a dumb move.

I"d feel a lot better of Nunge progressing of Olson or Davis was the head coach. McCaffery doesn't really seem all that creative. It seems like the same thing every year.