Jack Nunge & Indiana Mr. Basketball

I haven't quite figured out why people think Wagner is more of a "5" than those other guys. Quite frankly they are all 4s, which is why a lot of people are hoping Garza can be a big factor.

Wagner is listed at a generous 6'7. He can't guard true posts on defense due to lack of size. His defensive rebound %, which is an important stat for a "5", was the lowest of the bigs on our team last year, by a pretty significant margin. He is a good defender because he is versatile enough to switch onto quicker players and move his feet and knows where he needs to be. On offense he's plays like a "garbage man" 4.

When Cook and Wagner were starting together to end the year Cook was our "5". He guarded the other teams "5" and Wagner took the next tallest guy. This often led to foul trouble for Cook because as previously mentioned he's probably more of a natural 4. Either way Cook was more a "5" than Wagner.

I really like Ahmad but I do think he might see his minutes decline the most next year. If Garza and Kriener take over the 5 spot and Cook/Pemsl likely ahead of him at the 4, there just might not be a lot of time for him.

This is why I have posted that I think Wagner needs to develop a shot so he can play at the 3. He really could be a poor man's Bridges at the 3 spot. That all rests on developing a shot. If he can't play the 3 for us I do forsee a reduction in minutes as well as we now have legit post players.

This is why I have posted that I think Wagner needs to develop a shot so he can play at the 3. He really could be a poor man's Bridges at the 3 spot. That all rests on developing a shot. If he can't play the 3 for us I do forsee a reduction in minutes as well as we now have legit post players.

People have been saying that around here. I just don't ever see it happening. I don't recall seeing him hit a jump shot over the last two years. His handles and passing would need significant improvement as well.

Miles Bridges? C'mon man! I love your confidence but some of your recent posts have been moving towards Clinton homerism. We are talking about if a guy will ever be able to develop his skills enough to even be an option as a 3.

People have been saying that around here. I just don't ever see it happening. I don't recall seeing him hit a jump shot over the last two years. His handles and passing would need significant improvement as well.

Miles Bridges? C'mon man! I love your confidence but some of your recent posts have been moving towards Clinton homerism. We are talking about if a guy will ever be able to develop his skills enough to even be an option as a 3.

Lol you're right bro. The Bridges comparison is laughable on its face, but if you peer a little deeper you will see some core similarities. Mostly related to size, strength, jumping ability and quickness. Obviously the skills are not even in the same orbit and that was my intention for the use of "poor man's Bridges". In Wagner's case I believe that he has the skill to drive from the wing and finish through traffic and contact. That is a huge factor for a good SF. If (and granted big if) Wagner can become a 30% shooter from the 3 point line and a 40% shooter from the field and bump up the FT average he could be awesome playing the 3 spot for us. We have a highly regarded "shot doctor" as an assistant coach. It is my hope that Wagner has been working with him alot.

Lol you're right bro. The Bridges comparison is laughable on its face, but if you peer a little deeper you will see some core similarities. Mostly related to size, strength, jumping ability and quickness. Obviously the skills are not even in the same orbit and that was my intention for the use of "poor man's Bridges". In Wagner's case I believe that he has the skill to drive from the wing and finish through traffic and contact. That is a huge factor for a good SF. If (and granted big if) Wagner can become a 30% shooter from the 3 point line and a 40% shooter from the field and bump up the FT average he could be awesome playing the 3 spot for us. We have a highly regarded "shot doctor" as an assistant coach. It is my hope that Wagner has been working with him alot.

It has been said that he has the quickest first step on the team. As I said I think his handles need improvement though, along with of course his shot.

I remain very pessimistic that he will ever be a legitimate option at 3. It's something I will keep my eye on in PTL, but certainly not the most intriguing thing to me. (That did just give me an idea for a thread though).

It has been said that he has the quickest first step on the team. As I said I think his handles need improvement though, along with of course his shot.

I remain very pessimistic that he will ever be a legitimate option at 3. It's something I will keep my eye on in PTL, but certainly not the most intriguing thing to me. (That did just give me an idea for a thread though).

I can understand your pessimism of the matter. It is warranted. I know his improvement in the above areas are not of high probability, but I will still hope until faced with the facts of a new season opener.

Glad I could help incubate new creation.

In today's game with all the AAU games/practices along with HS games, when kids come to college they can either shoot or can't. He's had plenty of time to develop that. Why would he suddenly be able to shoot. Now, guys can improve their range (RDM) or increase their percentages but not all of the sudden be a shooter.

I think Wagners minutes go down and the Garza plus Nunge we average 12ppg bn the 2 of em

In today's game with all the AAU games/practices along with HS games, when kids come to college they can either shoot or can't. He's had plenty of time to develop that. Why would he suddenly be able to shoot. Now, guys can improve their range (RDM) or increase their percentages but not all of the sudden be a shooter.

I think Wagners minutes go down and the Garza plus Nunge we average 12ppg bn the 2 of em

I did say it wasn't probable. However I don't buy into they have reached maximum ability coming out of high school. I could teach a 50 year old to shoot with proper mechanics and an innate ability for muscle memory. A good athlete like Wagner should have higher than average muscle memory capabilities. I don't think it is anywhere near out of the question. I still concede it is a long shot (pun intended).

If they put the effort in it might be all psychological. The coaching staff ought to make subliminal tapes for the players that they can listen to when they go to bed about how great shooters they are. It might work.

I like Wagner's shot to make significant improvement over Williams. Ahmad's shot didn't look bad in the PTL last summer. However, unfortunately, CW improving his shot would benefit the team more and it didn't look good this year.

If they put the effort in it might be all psychological. The coaching staff ought to make subliminal tapes for the players that they can listen to when they go to bed about how great shooters they are. It might work.

Lol those are the "out there" ideas that I like. It's just crazy enough that it might work.

I agree with this. Wagner is such a bad shooter as a sophomore that he would have to improve an unrealistic amount over the next year just to be a not very good shooter. We have way too many options on offense next year to be having a "not very good shooter" taking shots.

There is the possibility that it was all mental last year, like someone else just mentioned. If that's the case, he may already be a decent shooter who gets his confidence back next year. That is the only possibility I see where Wagner will ever be good enough to justify taking jump shots.

I have a hard time envisioning Wagner losing many minutes next year. He's one of the strongest guys in the B1G, a relentless rebounder and athletic enough to help in transition d/guarding multiple positions. Shooting is not a concern, other than free throws, IMO. He took his lumps last year battling bigger guys but that experience along with another summer in the weight room and he's going to be even more beastly.

I have a hard time envisioning Wagner losing many minutes next year. He's one of the strongest guys in the B1G, a relentless rebounder and athletic enough to help in transition d/guarding multiple positions. Shooting is not a concern, other than free throws, IMO. He took his lumps last year battling bigger guys but that experience along with another summer in the weight room and he's going to be even more beastly.

All the same adding a nice mid range jumper would be awesome and would allow him to play the SF. That is his future position if he plays any ball beyond Iowa.

I agree with you. Wagner is going to be good next year. I can see Wagner playing more than one position just because of his defensive abilities. Hopefully, Pemsl and Wagner will be much improved with their free throws. Woodbury improved a ton on his free throws while at Iowa.

I could see Wagner being a lockdown guy on a 3/4. IMO he needs to be a high energy max effort defender/rebounder but also improve his passing game. I think that's the key to Ahmad getting minutes, passing. If he can add that to his game at an assist per 5 min played then I could see him at 15-20 mpg.

I suspect that Wagner has more than he has shown so far. Expect him to contribute even more this season, maybe even with diminished minutes.

I remember seeing some video of Wagner in the PTL making some 3s. I was kind of shocked but I went back and looked at his stats and he was 10-28, 36%.

He doesn't have to shoot it at a high percentage but if he can just force the D to honor the shot and be some what of a threat, he would be a a very difficult guard. Big men would have trouble staying in front of him and he could take the smaller defenders down low and out work them on the boards.

I don't know that I have faith that he can make that jump but who knows. Aaron White shot 23-28% from 3 his first 3 years before shooting 36% his senior year.

The opinions on Wagner are all over the map. I'm not sure what to expect other than the front court is loaded and the best players will be seeing the court. As valuable as having an athletic defender and hustle guy out there is having players capable of that and shooting are only that much more valuable. The question is always how ready to play will the new guys be. Till they are out there we are just guessing at how their skill sets will translate. Wagner we have a pretty good idea of how high his ceiling is and it's not a whole lot higher then where he was last yr. The young guys seem to have a ton of potential and it'll be fun to see how they fit in.