Izzo Hold Players Accountable

MelroseHawkins

........ well, at least on the court. But, as a basketball coach, he's not afraid to get into the mug of any of his players including the best and set things straight or let them know what they are not doing. I'm sure Fran does as well but if Izzo isn't happy with the play, he'll pull the guy at the next stoppage.

In listening to him and watching during the game, I can really appreciate the attention to detail that he coaches to. Dailey shooting that well really got under his skin as he said at half he was not that good a shooter. Now we all know Dailey can hit those shots and can be decent, but apparently the numbers Izzo had seen weren't there. He seemed surprised by his game. Good game for Dailey. I also don't think Dailey has a bad shot as Izzo stated. I think it looks pretty fluid to me with a nich arch and backspin on the ball. Anyway, I digress.

But, think of Izzo as you like, he does pay attention to finite detail of the opposing team which is evident how well prepared his teams usually are and the success they've had in the post-season. I like how he just tells it like it is and doesn't sugarcoat anything. I don't see a lot of opposing coaches commenting on how bad a shot an opposing player has or not the best percentage. I don't think he knows any better. I'm fine with that.

That # 55 guy... I think was his # that Cook was schooling... Izzo brought him to the bench and was talking to him and the guy was mumbling and had bad body language back to the bench and I could read his lips "YOU GOT BEAT" haha.

........ well, at least on the court. But, as a basketball coach, he's not afraid to get into the mug of any of his players including the best and set things straight or let them know what they are not doing. I'm sure Fran does as well but if Izzo isn't happy with the play, he'll pull the guy at the next stoppage.

In listening to him and watching during the game, I can really appreciate the attention to detail that he coaches to. Dailey shooting that well really got under his skin as he said at half he was not that good a shooter. Now we all know Dailey can hit those shots and can be decent, but apparently the numbers Izzo had seen weren't there. He seemed surprised by his game. Good game for Dailey. I also don't think Dailey has a bad shot as Izzo stated. I think it looks pretty fluid to me with a nich arch and backspin on the ball. Anyway, I digress.

But, think of Izzo as you like, he does pay attention to finite detail of the opposing team which is evident how well prepared his teams usually are and the success they've had in the post-season. I like how he just tells it like it is and doesn't sugarcoat anything. I don't see a lot of opposing coaches commenting on how bad a shot an opposing player has or not the best percentage. I don't think he knows any better. I'm fine with that.

Izzo can afford to pull guys because he has a lot more depth of guys who can really play than Fran does. Fran pulls certain guys and the whole thing falls apart at times.

Izzo at half said something like “we allowed 42 points that not good.” I just laughed to myself thinking of how many halves this year Iowa has allowed 40 points.

I was just looking at an article from after the game where Izzo said “I hope you all enjoyed the offensive fireworks, because I don’t think either team played any defense” which is pretty funny jab at Fran’s team.

I thought Izzo kind of sounded like a guy that refused to give Iowa any credit for anything. Blamed the 5 games in 12 days thing as well. Not a good look.

Izzo at half said something like “we allowed 42 points that not good.” I just laughed to myself thinking of how many halves this year Iowa has allowed 40 points.

I was just looking at an article from after the game where Izzo said “I hope you all enjoyed the offensive fireworks, because I don’t think either team played any defense” which is pretty funny jab at Fran’s team.

I thought Izzo kind of sounded like a guy that refused to give Iowa any credit for anything. Blamed the 5 games in 12 days thing as well. Not a good look.

It was not a jab at all. He said that he knew, and Fran knows, that Iowa has really struggled on defense. He went on to say that he cannot figure out why; maybe, he said, its just commitment on the part of the players, which he struggles with at MSU as well. You left out another interesting comment: "This is the best offensive team we have seen all year." by Izzo. I think this comment was tied tightly to the comment about not understanding why Iowa's defense has been so bad. So, maybe he was getting at this: This is a good bunch of basketball players, good athletes, who have proven that by their offensive game. Why in the world are they not playing defense better?" When he talked about the 5 games in twelve days, it sounds like he was right. Sure did not throw his kids under the bus. I did not hear one word from him that I would conclude that he was not giving Iowa credit.

I thought outside of a few broken plays Iowa played pretty decently on defense. MSt made some tough inside and outside shots and I thought most shots were contested. I like that Izzo called his star out. There were so many times this year that Fran should have benched some players on some absolutely unacceptable defensive lapses, but never does. Not this game though.

It will be nice to see him fired, and his basketball program suspended for the abuse. He’s a jerk, and the girls who were victimized deserve better than him continueing to profit from their suffering.

Fran holds players accountable too. How many times this year does he yank Nunge after he gets schooled? How many times did he do it last season with Moss? What's funny, is then we hear from the fans "WHY AINT HE PLAYING?" haha.. damn double edged sword. Oh yeah, and Tuesday was Iowa's 4th game in 11 days - welcome to B1G play.

It was not a jab at all. He said that he knew, and Fran knows, that Iowa has really struggled on defense. He went on to say that he cannot figure out why; maybe, he said, its just commitment on the part of the players, which he struggles with at MSU as well. You left out another interesting comment: "This is the best offensive team we have seen all year." by Izzo. I think this comment was tied tightly to the comment about not understanding why Iowa's defense has been so bad. So, maybe he was getting at this: This is a good bunch of basketball players, good athletes, who have proven that by their offensive game. Why in the world are they not playing defense better?" When he talked about the 5 games in twelve days, it sounds like he was right. Sure did not throw his kids under the bus. I did not hear one word from him that I would conclude that he was not giving Iowa credit.

I agree. I've lightened up on him over the years. I used to think he never gave the opponent credit and would always put it on his team if they didn't play well. I think that is just who he is. His emotions are on his sleeve and he just says it like it is or how he sees it.

Why is it not fine for Izzo to question Iowa's defense but it is for people in the Iowa corner to question it. Think about that. Doesn't make sense.

Both he and Fran are both basketball veterans and Izzo knows Fran realizes Iowa isn't playing good defense. Izzo knows that statement is not going to get Fran bent because it's true.

I'm sure Izzo's thinking man when Iowa gets that defense working, look out.

Let's not be doing too much Fran Izzo comparison. Izzos level of coaching is way above anything that Fran can conjure.

Fran holds players accountable too. How many times this year does he yank Nunge after he gets schooled? How many times did he do it last season with Moss? What's funny, is then we hear from the fans "WHY AINT HE PLAYING?" haha.. damn double edged sword. Oh yeah, and Tuesday was Iowa's 4th game in 11 days - welcome to B1G play.
Here's some good ole accountability for RDM

BB_OlS2CQAAGOli.0.jpg

Latest posts