I’ve Watched That Movie Before

NikeHawk21

Didn’t tonight’s game seem the same as every road game we played last year? We’d often come out shoot well and hang around for awhile while the home team had a layup and dunk contest. As soon as Iowa’s offense hit a slump you’d look up at the scoreboard down 10-15 and say what happened?

At a certain point you have to wonder if this team can win on the road. If they want to get to 10 wins in this league they are going to have to win at least a few road games.

We still don’t have a PG. if Bohannon isn’t hitting 5 3s a game, he doesn’t add much else on offense.

Connor’s not the answer. He’s better on D but still not there offensively. He’s not going to get the calls in league play.
Agreed. Interestingly enough though for all the people that wanted JBo to move off the ball his assists numbers are now way down and he often got a lot of assists and set up quite a few plays in prior years. His shooting is also down, but as a whole it seems like we are a worse offensive team right now than we were last year.

Agreed. Interestingly enough though for all the people that wanted JBo to move off the ball his assists numbers are now way down and he often got a lot of assists and set up quite a few plays in prior years. His shooting is also down, but as a whole it seems like we are a worse offensive team right now than we were last year.
Maybe Bohannon should stop shooting all of his threes from 28’ with someone in his face.

The f’ing kid purposely goes deep and as soon as it’s in his hand he launches it in desperation like the shot clock is at 1.

Someone should tell him he’s not Jordan Curry.

Maybe Bohannon should stop shooting all of his threes from 28’ with someone in his face.

The f’ing kid purposely goes deep and as soon as it’s in his hand he launches it in desperation like the shot clock is at 1.

Unfortunately that’s one of Iowa’s better offensive sets

I’m not sure he does it intentionally I just think he lacks the lateral quickness to get around anyone. You saw in the Pitt game he tried to make a play at the end of the shot clock going by someone and just charged into a defenders who had easily beaten him to the spot.

He used to make some good plays in the pick and roll but we haven’t seen much of that this year at all.

If you look at JBo's assists the last two years, he averaged about two assists per game on under the basket in bounds passes, he really didn't do much of any setting up in the flow of the offense . Moss hit a lot of jumpers and Pemsl was also really good at easy inbounds layups. This year I think he only has three such assists and when Connor is in, Connor is the in bounds passer (last night assisted Baer for instance), so that will cut down on his assists per game. Cook also hasn't finished as much as he did last year, getting fouled more often then not. It's like when Aaron White played, Gesell would've had probably 60 more career assists had White not gotten fouled so much on would be easy buckets.

If you look at JBo's assists the last two years, he averaged about two assists per game on under the basket in bounds passes, he really didn't do much of any setting up in the flow of the offense . Moss hit a lot of jumpers and Pemsl was also really good at easy inbounds layups. This year I think he only has three such assists and when Connor is in, Connor is the in bounds passer (last night assisted Baer for instance), so that will cut down on his assists per game. Cook also hasn't finished as much as he did last year, getting fouled more often then not. It's like when Aaron White played, Gesell would've had probably 60 more career assists had White not gotten fouled so much on would be easy buckets.
I agree that he got some easy assists that way. But he also had a lot of assists in pick in roll. He had several 10+ assists nights over that last two seasons. We just haven’t seen much of that this year.

In a perfect world, he would be off the ball spotting up for 3s but that would be with a PG who can penetrate and draw the defense in to kick out to him. Broken record... we still don't have that.

We still don’t have a PG. if Bohannon isn’t hitting 5 3s a game, he doesn’t add much else on offense.

Connor’s not the answer. He’s better on D but still not there offensively. He’s not going to get the calls in league play.

CMcC is a better answer - because he does bring some defense. Being an answer of D, does make up for some of lack of O - especially if JBo doesn't have incredible O. There is still no answer for ball screen defense w/ JBo involved and opponents know it.

Take the 5 games Iowa has played against P5 schools and do a +/- of who is on the floor. JBo v. CMcC isn't close.

In a perfect world, he would be off the ball spotting up for 3s but that would be with a PG who can penetrate and draw the defense in to kick out to him. Broken record... we still don't have that.
I’ve never been in total agreement with that take. I think part of what made him special was his passing ability. When he was playing PG he put up some really good assist numbers and our offense looked really good. This year he’s played more off the ball and our offense so far is actually looking worse than last year. But to your point we won’t know what he could do with a true point guard who could set him up for a bunch of wide open 3s.

No matter where he is defense is a liability.

I’m not sure he does it intentionally I just think he lacks the lateral quickness to get around anyone. You saw in the Pitt game he tried to make a play at the end of the shot clock going by someone and just charged into a defenders who had easily beaten him to the spot.

He used to make some good plays in the pick and roll but we haven’t seen much of that this year at all.
If he lacks quickness and is left with no choice but to immediately launch almost half courters, I think it's intentional. Especially if he's doing it because he feels out matched.

He's shooting .318 from the field and .295 from 3 (although as far back as he shoots they should be worth 5). Time to sit the kid down and tell him to get better at passing.

If he lacks quickness and is left with no choice but to immediately launch almost half courters, I think it's intentional. Especially if he's doing it because he feels out matched.

He's shooting .318 from the field and .295 from 3 (although as far back as he shoots they should be worth 5). Time to sit the kid down and tell him to get better at passing.
Ok. The problem is who gets his minutes? Moss? Dailey? Screwed...

Ellingson. Ogelsby... :D

I’ve never been in total agreement with that take. I think part of what made him special was his passing ability. When he was playing PG he put up some really good assist numbers and our offense looked really good. This year he’s played more off the ball and our offense so far is actually looking worse than last year. But to your point we won’t know what he could do with a true point guard who could set him up for a bunch of wide open 3s.

No matter where he is defense is a liability.

That's the thing; he still has to play defense. We can't even hide him in a zone bc everyone can't even do their own job or doesn't understand how to rotate in a zone. It's truly comical watching how quickly it breaks down with even just a few passes.

I thought everyone and their brother on HN said that was CM??

Totally agree. I just laugh watching Iowa play defense. I’ve never seen anything like it.
Does any other team flash the post or the 4 to the top of the key, putting them out of position leaving there man open, like we do? Has it ever accomplished anything? I don't ever recall even Woodbury being successful at it. ??

People were trying to say "it's at Michigan State we never win there".

So what? Why can't things be different this far into Fran's year. Iowa was garbage last season and has collapsed in "good" years. I'm starting to lose my patience with this staff. There is talent here but for some reason Iowa usually folds in big games.

I thought the NYC trip showed us something but these last two killed that. Last night was embarrassing but the Wisconsin loss was inexcusable. You can't blow a lead like they did at home.

When will we get back to a 20 win season? I don't see it this year.