I’ve come to terms with an 11-man rotation

I was wrong about Jordan. Jury is still out on Moss in my opinion. He had flashes offensively but really struggled on offense and defense last year at times and he needs to become more consistent otherwise it's going to be a bumpy road.

you called him a clear miss, a guy who averaged less minutes and better stats then Marble Jr. did as a freshman.

you called him a clear miss, a guy who averaged less minutes and better stats then Marble Jr. did as a freshman.

I'm not sure what this means but it isn't a good comparison if that is what you're trying to do. Marble improved more than any player I could remember over his career and was 21 when he graduated while Moss is already 21.

I'm not sure what this means but it isn't a good comparison if that is what you're trying to do. Marble improved more than any player I could remember over his career and was 21 when he graduated while Moss is already 21.

I mean you called him a clear miss after like 10 games - and you're analysis of Hawkeye hoops needs to be taken with a giant grain of salt, which is all I am trying to point out. Of course he still has a lot to prove, he's a sophomore. But IMO, he flashed just as much as Marble or Jok did early in their careers.

I mean you called him a clear miss after like 10 games - and you're analysis of Hawkeye hoops needs to be taken with a giant grain of salt, which is all I am trying to point out. Of course he still has a lot to prove, he's a sophomore. But IMO, he flashed just as much as Marble or Jok did early in their careers.

Marble and Jok kind of sucked as freshman and neither of them got a redshirt year like Moss did. I'm not sure how much room Moss has to improve since he's already so old.

Marble and Jok kind of sucked as freshman and neither of them got a redshirt year like Moss did. I'm not sure how much room Moss has to improve since he's already so old.

So at age 21 players just stop getting better. The experience and work he's doing caps at certain point and that point is the beginning of his sophomore year? You have to realize how that sounds right? Personally, I saw Uthoff (who was old) improve a lot from his Jr. to Sr. season. You could say the same for White, Marble and Jok. The fact that he's a year older is NOT working against him.

So at age 21 players just stop getting better. The experience and work he's doing caps at certain point and that point is the beginning of his sophomore year? You have to realize how that sounds right? Personally, I saw Uthoff (who was old) improve a lot from his Jr. to Sr. season. You could say the same for White, Marble and Jok. The fact that he's a year older is NOT working against him.

I don't think it makes much sense to compare a 18 year old true freshman and their potential like Marble and Jok to a 20 year old redshirt freshman like Moss. I think both Marble and Jok had a lot more potential especially offensively. Moss didn't do much in high school or the AAU either where Jok was once considered a top recruit and Marble got buckets in high school and on the AAU circuit.

If players quit getting better at 22, you could argue that Moss is close to his ceiling. But since peak years is probably around 25, Moss will just be closer to his peak after his senior year than Marble was after his senior year. That is good news for Iowa.

Now if you want to argue that Moss won't be as good as a senior as Marble is 2 years out of college, it might make sense. But what's the point of even going there?

2 keys to the season: Jbo can't get hurt and Moss's progress as a player. Moss's improvement has nothing to do with NBA potential; therefore, his age is irrelevant. It is about his stroke and his ability to lockdown guys. Shoot high 30's, low 40's from 3 and lock people down on D that is all I care about.

This should be the only guys on the floor in B1G and Tournament play

JBo / Cmac
Moss / BE
Nunge / Baer / Uhl
Cook / Pemsl / Uhl
Garza / Wagner

I am not normally a proponent of having that long of a rotation, but it seems sort of inevitable this season. We will likely see 13 guys in these early games but as the rotation settles out, I think 11 can be manageable.

JBo 30 / Cmac 10
Moss 25 / BE 10 / Baer 5
Wagner 11 / Baer 19 / Nunge 10
Cook 18 / Pemsl 18 / Nunge 4
Garza 20 / Kriener 12 / Cook 8

So that gives us on average:
JBo - 30
Cook - 26
Moss - 25
Baer - 24
Garza - 20
Pemsl - 18
Nunge - 14
Kriener - 12
Wagner - 11
BE - 10
Cmac - 10

Really our top 7 guys would make up nearly 80% of the minutes, which is roughly what our top 7 were last year.

The “bottom 4” guys each bring something a little bit unique to the table. Remember those are just average estimations, but depending on the game their 10-12 minutes might get stretched out to 15-20 minutes. For instance there may be nights where we need Wagner’s defense to slow an opposing team’s top player. Maybe against Purdue and UW we want Kriener out there to pull Haas and Happ away from the basket. I’m sure there will be a couple nights where JBo gets in foul trouble and we will need more Cmac. On the other side there will be nights when the guys in front of them have hot hands and these guys don’t see as much court time.

So is it ideal playing 11? Probably not, but I just don’t know how you could justify keeping any of those guys off the floor. If done correctly I think it can be manageable, with each individual game determining who gets more/less floor time.

Kreiner can get minutes in the first half of the season when we play tune-up games. When it comes time for the Big Ten games, he will get garbage time. Because he's garbage. He doesn't have the speed or quickness to make it in the Big Ten. It takes him a half hour to run up the court. Plus with all of the talent we have down low, he shouldn't be getting minutes over Wagner or anybody else.

Speaking of garbage... I seriously LOL'd that BlackandGold3 liked bleendblackandgold2's comment.

Kreiner can get minutes in the first half of the season when we play tune-up games. When it comes time for the Big Ten games, he will get garbage time. Because he's garbage. He doesn't have the speed or quickness to make it in the Big Ten. It takes him a half hour to run up the court. Plus with all of the talent we have down low, he shouldn't be getting minutes over Wagner or anybody else.
Pemsl over Kreiner? Kreiner is a better offensive player and more athletic plus two inches taller. What has pemsl done this season that kreiner hasn't? For the record I think they are both below average

Latest posts