I’ve come to terms with an 11-man rotation

Who is he better than? Bohannon, Moss, Baer, Cook, Ellingson, Wagner, Pemsl and Garza have all started games for Fran so that's eight players right there.
I don't really want to knock anybody but I have him well above Ellingson and Wagner. Both of those guys have career scoring averages under 4ppg.

Wagner is only 6’7 and is under a 50% free throw guy, with a very limited offensive game.

Ellingson is a great shooter, but really not athletic enough to get big minutes at the B1G level.

Nunge is 6’11, runs extremely well for his size, and also handles the ball really well for a guy that big. His shooting stroke is very fundamentally sound so we will see if that materializes into makes in games. (He’s made 4 3s in two exhibitions). In terms of a basketball talent, he is very much ahead of those two.

But again, I have nothing against the opinion that a shorter rotation than 11 is better. I just have a tough time getting there. In terms of this which player is better than which troll, I’m not following you down that path.

Just because Duke and Kentucky et al don't use 10-11 man rotations doesn't mean it's a bad idea. McCaffrey's style of ball demands a larger rotation, just like Tom Davis's did. People bitched about Davis playing too many players, too. I'm looking forward to seeing some nice runs in the second half when the other team's players are spent.

I don't really want to knock anybody but I have him well above Ellingson and Wagner. Both of those guys have career scoring averages under 4ppg.

Wagner is only 6’7 and is under a 50% free throw guy, with a very limited offensive game.

Ellingson is a great shooter, but really not athletic enough to get big minutes at the B1G level.

Nunge is 6’11, runs extremely well for his size, and also handles the ball really well for a guy that big. His shooting stroke is very fundamentally sound so we will see if that materializes into makes in games. (He’s made 4 3s in two exhibitions). In terms of a basketball talent, he is very much ahead of those two.

But again, I have nothing against the opinion that a shorter rotation than 11 is better. I just have a tough time getting there. In terms of this which player is better than which troll, I’m not following you down that path.

Wagner and Ellingson both started the last game and Nunge did not. I would be surprised if Wagner, not Nunge, doesn't start with Baer out now.

Just because Duke and Kentucky et al don't use 10-11 man rotations doesn't mean it's a bad idea. McCaffrey's style of ball demands a larger rotation, just like Tom Davis's did. People bitched about Davis playing too many players, too. I'm looking forward to seeing some nice runs in the second half when the other team's players are spent.

Why does Fran's style require a larger rotation? Lots of teams play a faster pace than we do not playing a ton of guys. Also I can't remember the last time we beat a team because their players were spent.

Wagner and Ellingson both started the last game and Nunge did not. I would be surprised if Wagner, not Nunge, doesn't start with Baer out now.
Of course that’s not what we are talking about troll. And no whether or not you start does not determine the best players (see Baer last year).

So would you go on record saying that Wagner and Ellingson are better basketball players than Jack Nunge??

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what that 41-0 KY team that WI eventually beat in the F4 did. They had 2 teams of 5 they subbed in. Maybe they went 10 deep but close enough. WV runs players in and out all game. If there’s not a huge drop off, in a long rough and tumble B1G season, it may help you finish in the top 5 several years running.

Why does Fran's style require a larger rotation? Lots of teams play a faster pace than we do not playing a ton of guys. Also I can't remember the last time we beat a team because their players were spent.

I don't think there are many teams at all that are as fast paced as us. Let alone faster.

Of course that’s not what we are talking about troll. And no whether or not you start does not determine the best players (see Baer last year).

So would you go on record saying that Wagner and Ellingson are better basketball players than Jack Nunge??

Nunge wasn't highly recruited and is completely unproven so I'm not going to assume he's better than Wagner who is a returning starter and our best defender. Hopefully I'm wrong troll.

Nunge wasn't highly recruited and is completely unproven so I'm not going to assume he's better than Wagner who is a returning starter and our best defender. Hopefully I'm wrong troll.

Runner up IN Mr Basketball players are good, period. Nunge was a late bloomer.

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what that 41-0 KY team that WI eventually beat in the F4 did. They had 2 teams of 5 they subbed in. Maybe they went 10 deep but close enough. WV runs players in and out all game. If there’s not a huge drop off, in a long rough and tumble B1G season, it may help you finish in the top 5 several years running.

Big difference because That Kentucky 2nd team would have made the NCAA Tournament had they all went some place else.

I would be a troll if I took credit for this. I remember reading somewhere on this site something to this effect. Ratings are like ACT scores. They get you attention and get you into the school you want. Once there, it's up to you to make things happen.

Relax on the freshman. Relax on this team. It's going to be a roller-coaster ride. Have fun with it!!

GO HAWKS!!!

Nike's estimate will probably be fairly close imo. Arguing about whether the 11 man rotation is good or bad is moot, as we all know Fran is going to do it anyways. Let's be thankful Fran has the bodies that can actually cause us to have the discussion.

If one can't see Nunge's potential, then said person hasn't been paying attention to the increasing trend in basketball the last decade. Jack has height and wingspan with pretty decent guard skills for a guy his age.There are not very many 6'11" guys capable of playing the 3 in college basketball. Through the exhibitions it appear he may be able to play the 3 offenively, we will find out if he can defend the 3 once conference play hits.

Your record evaluating players and talent pretty much speaks for itself.

I think I was pretty spot on with my evaluations of William, Cook and Pemsl last year. I've been very high on Garza since day one before he got some of his bigger offers too.

56 is notorious for only evaluating a grade some site gave a kid when he was 16 and doesn't allow actual play on the court, maturity & development to factor in how he would dull out minutes for Iowa Hawkeye Basketball. He is hot on the rotation size because Iowa has a lot of depth, it's known and it's inevitably going to larger then 7 or 8. So, he's going to have that irregardless and can use that as the reason for everything that ails the hoops program this season. It's a zero'd in - dialed up - he's not going to admit he's wrong... ever, but he will bring it up continuously if Iowa loses a game about how right he was.

If you need am example, last year, his deal was Jordan. Despite the fact that Jordan continued to prove him wrong weekly, he failed to change his course because he knew going into the year, that was his target. This years is the rotation size, and he's been on that for months, and he will not be disappointed.

I think I was pretty spot on with my evaluations of William, Cook and Pemsl last year. I've been very high on Garza since day one before he got some of his bigger offers too.

How were you on Moss or Jordan?

You barely spoke about the 3 above that you mention, but I do recall some stuff on Jordan and Moss being discussed a lot.

How were you on Moss or Jordan?

You barely spoke about the 3 above that you mention, but I do recall some stuff on Jordan and Moss being discussed a lot.

I was wrong about Jordan. Jury is still out on Moss in my opinion. He had flashes offensively but really struggled on offense and defense last year at times and he needs to become more consistent otherwise it's going to be a bumpy road.

Latest posts