I've been more excited w/ McCaffery in 45 days...

I agree he has done all the right things since being hired, however those "right" things were determined. I will however, keep my enthusiasm in check until the team plays some games. The players we have from last year were part of a team that won 10 games and the players we have coming in aren't better than the recruiting classes at more than half the other big ten schools. I am optimistic about the team with the new coaches and system, but lets not have another 8 part series about why Iowa basketball is going to be better this year.

Who knows, you might be right. I know Fran has done this before but never on this level. I would just be very surprised if he walked in the door and said I am going to do this, this and this and we will get people talking about the Iowa hoops program. I'm sure he had some ideas, but I'm also sure Barta said you are going to have to say a few things at your 1st presser and then you are going to get your butt out there and find some players for next year. To be honest I am guessing they both had some input and both came up with the things they needed to do to garner some excitement. Either way whatever they are doing it's been working so far.
As a side note, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you need get some JUCOs in there to a least have enough guys to field a squad to practice against.

I'm sure Barta gave him a good "lay of the land" to help Fran get a grasp of exactly where the program and the fanbase are...and Fran probably did pick his brain on some things...I just don't think Barta said anything like "Here's a list of things I need you to do"...Barta's entire list probably consisted of "HELP MEEEE!" and "For the love of God, make us not suck anymore!!!"...:p

I'm sure Barta gave him a good "lay of the land" to help Fran get a grasp of exactly where the program and the fanbase are...and Fran probably did pick his brain on some things...I just don't think Barta said anything like "Here's a list of things I need you to do"...Barta's entire list probably consisted of "HELP MEEEE!" and "For the love of God, make us not suck anymore!!!"...:p

I believe it's been written that Fran also contacted Lute, Mr. Davis and George Raveling, in addition to talking with a few former players. I'm sure they all helped him some on this front as well.

I believe it's been written that Fran also contacted Lute, Mr. Davis and George Raveling, in addition to talking with a few former players. I'm sure they all helped him some on this front as well.

Correct...he's reached out to everyone who's ever been in the program, it seems...well, with the exception of the 2 previous head coaches...thankfully...

Latest posts