I've been more excited w/ McCaffery in 45 days...

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
than I have been since earlier last decade in regards to Iowa BB.

He has done nearly everything right since he was hired.

- Nailed the intro presser (pushed every single button he needed to)
- Had a meet and greet with fans
- Hired a former Hawkeye player and former tenured D1 head coach as an assistant
- Brought w/ him an East Coast assistant
- Along with the assistant, brought an athletic NY recruit
- Hired a former Hawkeye player and NBA veteran to be the video coordinator
- Been non-stop recruiting and bragging up the state, the program, the University, and everything in-between

I am absolutely amazed how well Fran has adjusted to his new role with Iowa. He has done more with this program in 45 days than some of our previous coaches did in years.

Whatever happens, I'm excited with what's happening with the Iowa program. Barta made a great hire and I hope the program can turn around.

It sounds like a guy that had a plan in mind and executed it from day one...which is exactly what he did...because he has done it before....twice.

It sounds like a guy that had a plan in mind and executed it from day one...which is exactly what he did...because he has done it before....twice.

Exactly. Amd he hasnt rushed to get that plan into place. I remember how fast Lick hired his staff. Faster isnt always better (thats what she said)

This is shaping up to be a terrific hire. He's doing everything right so far. I have no doubt Iowa basketball is on its way back to respectable again.

Fran has a history of re-building programs and I am confident this is going to work. Iowa has needed someone like this for a long time now. Someone who isn't stubborn, and is open to seeing what works.

The term "system" is dead in Iowa City.

Reminds me of Fry and his "scratch where it itches" theory. Do whatever it takes to get the job done and leave no corners unturned. I love it!!!!

Interesting that we had to hire a freaking Ex-Domer to get Iowa basketball back to being Iowa Basketball.

He has three 3 star players. If he signs one of the JUCO Top 10 guys, that would be strong first class. If he signs both, it would be one of the strongest classes in a significant time. If he got Salter and then Brust to come back it would be very impressive.

Like I have said, good recruiters start off fast. FM is doing just that. Can't wait to see what he puts together for next year.

- Hired a former Hawkeye player and former tenured D1 head coach as an assistant
- Been non-stop recruiting and bragging up the state, the program, the University, and everything in-between

I am absolutely amazed how well Fran has adjusted to his new role with Iowa. He has done more with this program in 45 days than some of our previous coaches did in years.

Whatever happens, I'm excited with what's happening with the Iowa program. Barta made a great hire and I hope the program can turn around.

Careful Stormin...you'll confuse your hater nation into an aneurysm...they won't know how to attack if you're on board with Fran and over the TL Era!

Stormin I couldn't agree more. Fran has done more to excite and unite this fan base in the first 45 days than Lick did his entire tenure. I have not been this upbeat about the Iowa program since Alford's first game as coach when Iowa beat UCONN the defending national champs. And while the Alford experiment didn't work out, I think Fran will not only bring this program back to relevance, but I think he will eventually take us to that ever elusive next level.

You are right on Stormin! Reminds me of when Ralph came in and made things happen from day one. I think the negative boards may be a thing of the past.

I remember (because I am older than Larry King's suspenders) the frustrating years in the UI football program prior to coach Fry's hiring. I also remember the day when his team beat Nebraska. It won't happen overnight, but I expect Fran to deliver the same level of excitement.

Nailed it Spank. I swear that Fran is directly locked into the ''zietgeist'' of the Iowa bb program. Amazingly, it seems like he is already as much a Hawk as Bobby Hansen or Kirk Speraw. Our prior two coaches never reached that zone in 11 years. It is like Fran put the Iowa bb fanbase on the couch and sat back and listened to their angst, then went out and began executing a calculated plan step by step to address all those inner issues.
I think that Fran not only sought out all the right people,like Bobby Hansen,Dr.Tom,Lute,George Raveling,KF, ect...but he actually listened to what they said. Somehow I just do not think our prior two coaches listened, they had their own plan.
As Jon said, Fran has done this before and it shows.
Now,just keep up this mojo and turn it into that elusive ''early momentum'',Fran.
I really think that all this groundwork also will get Iowa fans engaged,and more patient, cus they like what they see and hear. If we can be competitive and respectable next year,fans will be ready to stand by their Fran.

He definately has gotten the mood around Iowa B-ball to brighten. Now I hope that all his hard work pays off this winter in the form of some wins!

After the hire I read up as much as I could on Fran's coaching history and I became thrilled.
Since then, he has vastly outperformed my high expectations....and the Hawks haven't even taken the court yet.

Fran will come to be known as the KF of Iowa basketball. I have no doubt 3 years from now Fran and Barta will be negotiating a long term contract extension with a significant raise. I have no doubt.

Call me excited.

Fran Mccaffery is the real deal.

All my hawk loving friends/acquaintences that don't read hawk news online just don't quite get the hire.

I've given up talking Fran up, I'm ready for this winter when the games do the talking.

Latest posts