It's time to start thinking bigger

SpiderRico

I see a lot of posts and posters commenting about other teams that the Hawks have played and hoping they continue to win to help our SOS/RPI. Guys, that's the "loser" or "bubble" mentality that's been ingrained in us over the last decade of mediocrity/down-right terrible teams.

I even saw posts last night/this morning that said they were rooting for Wisky last night so that it would help our SOS/RPI. You've got to be kidding me. Wisky is one of the teams we will be battling to the bitter end to win the conference. We finally have a team that is a legitimate threat to win the conference and we've got fans focusing on BS things like RPI and SOS and all those things that middling teams worry about.

Guys, we're one of only 2 teams in the entire country that has beaten a Top 5 team on the road. We have a Top 10 offense. A Top 25 efficiency defense. A Top 10 rebounding and assist team. For the first time in a LONG time, we have a realistic shot at a regular season conference title. Something we haven't won in 35 years. It's time to stop worrying about what Villanova or ISU or anyone else is doing to our SOS/RPI and start rooting against the teams we will be battling for a conference title.

Agree completely...at this point wins are the most important thing.

Getting better as a team through the year is high up there also but if we want to win the big ten title we need wins and other teams to lose.

Whether we finish 1st or 4th in the Big 10, we won't be on the bubble or worrying about RPI, so let's just win games and root for those ahead of us to lose.

I see a lot of posts and posters commenting about other teams that the Hawks have played and hoping they continue to win to help our SOS/RPI. Guys, that's the "loser" or "bubble" mentality that's been ingrained in us over the last decade of mediocrity/down-right terrible teams.

I even saw posts last night/this morning that said they were rooting for Wisky last night so that it would help our SOS/RPI. You've got to be kidding me. Wisky is one of the teams we will be battling to the bitter end to win the conference. We finally have a team that is a legitimate threat to win the conference and we've got fans focusing on BS things like RPI and SOS and all those things that middling teams worry about.

Guys, we're one of only 2 teams in the entire country that has beaten a Top 5 team on the road. We have a Top 10 offense. A Top 25 efficiency defense. A Top 10 rebounding and assist team. For the first time in a LONG time, we have a realistic shot at a regular season conference title. Something we haven't won in 35 years. It's time to stop worrying about what Villanova or ISU or anyone else is doing to our SOS/RPI and start rooting against the teams we will be battling for a conference title.

I enjoy seeing how the Nonconference opponents pan out during the season. RPI isn't even an issue.

I want to win the league, first and foremost, and if that happens Iowa will be a #1 seed.
but, as insurance against not winning the league, I do want a good RPI to help secure a high seed.

The last thing I want is to be stuck in #7-10 seed land yet again, and have to play a #1 or #2 seed in game 2.

Making the sweet 16 is immeasurably easier with a top 4 seed.

I want to win the league, first and foremost, and if that happens Iowa will be a #1 seed.
but, as insurance against not winning the league, I do want a good RPI to help secure a high seed.

The last thing I want is to be stuck in #7-10 seed land yet again, and have to play a #1 or #2 seed in game 2.

Making the sweet 16 is immeasurably easier with a top 4 seed.

This. I'm thinking about RPI/SOS for the sake of seeding. A conference championship doesn't necessarily guarantee a 1-seed, either, depending on how things play out. And while we can recognize the possibility of a conference title and get excited about it, that's still a long ways off. RPI/SOS is nice insurance to have if we don't win the conference and are still in the hunt for a top 2/3 seed.

JH & TM, go ahead and root for our non con opponents but cheer against MSU, wiscy, OSU, mich who we may end up battling for conference standings.

think bigger, but don't get too excited. We're not a tourney team, but we're a final four team. Frans not a good coach but he's COY candidate. Frans rotation is too deep but our deep rotation makes us very dangerous. My head hurts from reading this crap but I keep coming back.

I do not really understand this post. First of all, I think most of us our already doing that. I don't remember anyone cheering for Wisconsin over Indiana. Besides we play all BigTen teams so cheering for one over another for RPI purposes doesn't make sense. Sure we play Wisconsin twice and Indiana once, but I do not think anyone is dumb enough to cheer for Wisconsin for this reason. Out of conference is a different story, if ISU, ND, Xavier, and Villanova keep doing well it gives us a slight bump. Maybe its not as important as winning the BigTen title but it doesn't possibly hurt us to root for these teams.

I would just assume have Wisconsin,MSU, and OSU lose every game from now on. We would win the big 10 and deserve a 1 seed but our RPI would be so bad we would end up with a 2 seed. Big whoop. I would rather OSU tank and us finish 1 spot higher in the standings than have our great road win.

Also unless something goes seriously wrong we finish 4th at worst which will be nowhere near a 7 or 8 seed.

It's time to have fun and enjoy it on the level you want, and not on how you think others should enjoy it. What fans think doesn't matter in the final outcome. So big thinking or not big thinking, none of us plays. Just enjoy it

It's time to have fun and enjoy it on the level you want, and not on how you think others should enjoy it. What fans think doesn't matter in the final outcome. So big thinking or not big thinking, none of us plays. Just enjoy it

I hope youre not looking past Minnesota.

Four games into the conference and you hang your hat on this? OK.

And how do you know where Iowa's going to finish? Can I borrow your crystal ball?

RPI and SoS matter...and I was one of those who mentioned it. It's my opinion. Deal with it.

BTW...look up the 81-82 team as a reference point. You'll get what I mean.

I'm at an emotional point where just making the tournament would be disappointing. I want, at least, a sweet 16 run.

Latest posts