It's time for the Hy-vee Classic to end

I noticed Michigan was playing in Detroit against whatever team that is. The whole Classic was because Iowa and Iowa St. felt they were too big-time to go into the Knapp Center or up to Cedar Falls to play. Other big schools will play in the smaller schools in their states so we should do it as well. Get back to the home and home with UNI and Drake.

Michigan played Detroit Mercy and Michigan State played Oakland on Saturday in the Hitachi College Basketball Showcase at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit. Similar to Purdue playing Butler and Notre Dame playing Indiana at Banker's Life Fieldhouse in Indianapolis. Oklahoma State played Florida State and Clemson played Florida in the MetroPCS Orange Bowl Classic (24th year).

Just a way for a sponsor to spend some money and get 4 teams together to play basketball.

Lower ticket prices to make sure the place is full. Have a second round on day 2, then you really have a "State Champ". Integrate some other way to feature the state of IOWA and Des Moines on the same weekend. A taste of food fest, some good bands downtown.

Come on people...it's not that hard.

I noticed Michigan was playing in Detroit against whatever team that is. The whole Classic was because Iowa and Iowa St. felt they were too big-time to go into the Knapp Center or up to Cedar Falls to play. Other big schools will play in the smaller schools in their states so we should do it as well. Get back to the home and home with UNI and Drake.

UNI has earned a home and home w both ISU and IA. If NC is willing to do it, the state schools certainly should. UNIs venue is reasonable now that they have a hoops specific court. It’s an RPI boosting game for ISU/UNI and an opponent they should each have every year. Going to the Knapp center to play a weak opponent is silly IMO. They can come to CHA and get paid or just don’t bother playing g them.

If you want a 4 team, 2 game format, go get Creighton. Bottom line is the opposite fan bases aren’t going to go watch IA or ISU blow out Drake. That’s a big reason there are so many empty seats.

Agreed, these games are grossly overpriced. $30 for nosebleed, $50 for upper deck and $75 for courtside. Tickets at Carver are ~$35/game.

What they charged for these games is comparable to what NCAA tournament tix cost in Brooklyn 2 years ago...

Were actual sideline seats every made available to the public? I think they are all gobbled up by the top donors and maybe season ticket holders for other Wells Fargo events. So, even if you are willing to buy the best tickets, they aren't available except on after-market sites.

"earned"?
Earned nothing

Let's not lose sight of the farcical....shenanigans.... UNi pulled in their bad-box 'arena' with their pet officials that brought this mess about.
I say F*** em and drop them altogether

By earned, I mean that NC will play a home/home w them if Iowa will not. UNI doesn’t need to play Iowa only in CHA. UNI has earned it w more success in the NCAAT over the last 15 years. Iowa needs RPI 50-150 types both at home and on the road. It sure seems that the Hawks struggle to find those matchups and they have one right up I-380.

By earned, I mean that NC will play a home/home w them if Iowa will not. UNI doesn’t need to play Iowa only in CHA. UNI has earned it w more success in the NCAAT over the last 15 years. Iowa needs RPI 50-150 types both at home and on the road. It sure seems that the Hawks struggle to find those matchups and they have one right up I-380.

NC? North Carolina? They only played at UNI because Roy tries to schedule a game close to home for all North Carolina seniors. This was for Marcus Paige in this case. And, UNI had to play two games at North Carolina in return. :)

Latest posts