It's OK... you can admit it

BlindDogScooter

Given what everyone thought they knew about this team before the season started... given the loss of Aaron and Gabe... if someone had told you they'd finish with the exact same B1G record as last year you'd have been orgasmic... go ahead... admit it. It will cleanse your soul.

I suppose, but if someone also told me they'd start 10-1 I would have been thinking regular season title. But take me back to when Woody, Sapp, and Gesell were first recruited I had visions of that recruiting class contending for the Big Ten title.

However you want to look at it is fine, but the legacy of this team and it's season stands right in front of them heading into the BTT & NCAA.

I suppose, but if someone also told me they'd start 10-1 I would have been thinking regular season title. But take me back to when Woody, Sapp, and Gesell were first recruited I had visions of that recruiting class contending for the Big Ten title.

However you want to look at it is fine, but the legacy of this team and it's season stands right in front of them heading into the BTT & NCAA.

Well in all fairness, they did contend for a title.

Before the season started I would have been smiling ear to ear. No question. Bubble team at best. Where were 20-21 wins going to come from? Absolutely correct. A good season based solely on preseason expectations. A slam dunk outcome if we win a couple games in the ncaa...an uncontested layup if we dont.

If iowa went 12-6 in the big ten with wins and losses all mixed together it would've been fine, but the way they laid down and played dead in February is still tough to swallow

There... I fixed it for you.

No, he got it right. Just go 4-3 down the stretch and we are talking a #2 or #3 seed in Des Moines. Iowa isn't a blue blood so when you get off to a great start you have to take advantage because it won't happen that often. He is also correct when he says the legacy of this team will be determined in the next 2 weeks.

I would have loved it preseason but when you are at any point of the year overwhelming statistical favorites to win the conference and you don't do it, it hurts. The likelyhood of us walking out of the magical football season and mostly magical basketball season with no real championships or trophies (not counting a division trophy because nobody does that) is high and that sucks considering the level in which we played in both sports.

True enough, but if before the season you'd have told me that Iowa would sweep MSU, Purdue and Michigan, yet be looking at a 4-5 seed in the BTT, I'd have asked WTF happened with the other games on the schedule.

Overall, a very nice season, but definitely a missed opportunity given the "how" of where we got to where we are.

I really don't care about pre-season expectations when there was a stretch where you lost 5 out of 6 against a supposedly more manageable part of your schedule. What we think about the team before the season is often not all that accurate.

A lot of good things could still happen these next few weeks, though, which I agree, will go a long way in deciding how this team is really remembered.

Last edited:
Ssckelley said he thought this senior class would compete for a championship and I said they did. Why do I need to see someone else's post?

My bad, I skimmed through it after the first sentence in the first paragraph and didn't pick it up until the 2nd paragraph. i thought he was season specific.

Given what everyone thought they knew about this team before the season started... given the loss of Aaron and Gabe... if someone had told you they'd finish with the exact same B1G record as last year you'd have been orgasmic... go ahead... admit it. It will cleanse your soul.

I thought with more or less 4 starters returning they should be pretty good this year. I thought the big question mark would be on the boards after losing gabe and white at what 6'11'' and 6'9''. But Woody has done well rebounding as have JU and others. But lately the hawks have been losing the rebound battle which really coincides with the losing streak.

Right now if they can win two in the BTT and one or two in the NCAAs and finish with 24-25 wins I would say very good season.

If they get to the Elite Eight wow great and which they could do with 3 good scorers per game, better defensive rebounding, and perimeter defense.

The Big Ten regular season is a complete joke. Indiana played the easiest schedule and Iowa the toughest. Iowa's 12-6 record was very good. This team will be remembered by how it plays in the two tournaments coming up

The Big Ten regular season is a complete joke. Indiana played the easiest schedule and Iowa the toughest. Iowa's 12-6 record was very good. This team will be remembered by how it plays in the two tournaments coming up

We lost twice to Indiana. No excuses. Their schedule had nothing to do with those two games.

We lost twice to Indiana. No excuses. Their schedule had nothing to do with those two games.

Yep, Iowa had two cracks at IU - just couldn't get it done.

I do have to agree that I don't really like not having a true round robin, but guess that's what happens when the league is as big as it is, unless you have everyone playing 26 conference games.

The big IS big.

Yep, Iowa had two cracks at IU - just couldn't get it done.

I do have to agree that I don't really like not having a true round robin, but guess that's what happens when the league is as big as it is, unless you have everyone playing 26 conference games.

The big IS big.

OT but I wish the Big Ten did go to a true round robin. Add a few more Big Ten games and take off the cream puffs would make the season more fun.

OT but I wish the Big Ten did go to a true round robin. Add a few more Big Ten games and take off the cream puffs would make the season more fun.

Everyone in the conference would get some serious SOS points, that's for sure.

Never did care for the cream puff games - they're real yawners.

Latest posts