It’s going to get much worse

hawkinn3

The defense and ST lose huge talents in Coop and Taylor among others and the offense doesn’t have any talent on the depth chart to indicate it’ll get better.

The schedule next year is weak enough we may make a bowl but the year after we are looking at 2-3 wins and a complete cratering of the program.

It’s going to get worse.

In 2024, Iowa hosts Iowa St, Wash, Wisc, NW, Neb.

In 2024 Iowa plays at MD, MSU, Minn, Ohio St, UCLA.

In 2025, Iowa hosts Ind, MSU, Minn, Ore, PSU

In 2025, Iowa plays at Iowa St, Neb, Rutgers, USC, Wisc.

I think you could make an argument the 2024 and 2025 schedules are about equal. You get Wash, Ohio St and UCLA in 2024. You get PSU, Ore and USC in 2025.

I don’t think it is the doom and gloom everyone thinks it is. They can continue to win 8 or 9 games a season and every 3,4,5 years challenge for a B1G title. That being said, there are some tough decisions that need to be made by the Ferentz family and hopefully they start making these decisions in January.

I don’t think it is the doom and gloom everyone thinks it is. They can continue to win 8 or 9 games a season and every 3,4,5 years challenge for a B1G title. That being said, there are some tough decisions that need to be made by the Ferentz family and hopefully they start making these decisions in January.
I am going out here on a limb and say that if Brian is forced out then Kirk retires too. Unless, Brian comes out and announces he is taking a NFL position coaching job at the end of this year. That would take a lot of pressure off of his father and allow Kirk to retire when he chooses.

Whether this season was going swimmingly, or going as it is, when KF moves on, the future of the program will be determined by the quality of the next coach. There is nothing going on with the program right now that cannot be quickly remedied with a schematic change and some timely portal additions. That could happen with KF here if we was willing to bring in someone new and turn over all aspects of the offense to that person. Or, that could happen with an entirely new staff. But critically, scheme and personnel can be changed pretty quickly. It would be a bigger issue if the culture was trash, and all indications are that is not the case.

Our offense will be better next year.
*Is this sarcasm?
*Is this assuming a change at head coach, or offensive coordinator, or possibly both?
*Have you been drinking or taking illegal drugs?
*Are you just assuming it can’t be worse?

We absolutely have to eject BF and make a big hire for the OC. Without it recruiting will be the worst ever, and the decline will be longer and recovery further away. Time to take out the garbage and clean up the mess.

It is going to get worse for Iowa football, I think a lot of people have been saying that for a while now. I don't think it really matters who the coach is and it's being driven more by the changing landscape of our conference.

Hawkeye football will take years to recover when Ferentz hangs it up. Getting a big name to come here will be almost impossible because with the addition of the PAC 12 schools and the divisions going away, winning at Iowa will be next to impossible.

I’m holding out hope that they fire the line coach and move Brian there and hire a competent OC. He can’t possibly do worse than the current guy.

Hawkeye football will take years to recover when Ferentz hangs it up. Getting a big name to come here will be almost impossible because with the addition of the PAC 12 schools and the divisions going away, winning at Iowa will be next to impossible.

I’m holding out hope that they fire the line coach and move Brian there and hire a competent OC. He can’t possibly do worse than the current guy.

This just isn't the reality in modern college FB. Iowa has a very strong history of fan support and administration stability. They have also had a FB coach who has been among the best paid in the nation for what...the last 15+ year? And while their offense has been a running joke for 2+ years (compounded by the drive to 325), that can be remedied very quickly with a change in coaching/scheme and personnel (hello, transfer portal!).

If we paid top money for an up and coming coach (which admittedly is a crap shoot), and happened to get lucky again, this is nothing more than a blip. If we miss on that coaching hire, we will stink, but that would also be true if we were 7-1 right now with a top-30 offense.

We are currently in a stinky stretch, but it has negligible impact on the future state of the program beyond the next year or two. That will be determined by the quality of the next hire, and any up-and-coming coach would be intrigued by rabid fan support, top-end pay, and great stability.

All of you who want a new OC and BF moved to the o-line, keep forgetting or refuse to admit one thing. KF is in charge as the offense follows his philosophy. Why would some high flying new OC want to come to Iowa and run it up the middle 2/3 of the time?

People aren't factoring in that these new additions to the conference will also have to come to the Midwest in November. Sign me up all day for a Lincoln Riley team to come to Kinnick in November. Iowa City, Madison, Lincoln, Minneapolis will all be tough outs for all 4 teams that have to come East late in the year.

I am with CP87, you hire the right guy and the beat goes on from Hayden to Kirk to whoever. Maybe it is Lavar Woods, maybe it is Chris Klieman...I have no idea.

I was somewhat shocked by the Hawkeye Hatred on The Athlete Site

Pages and Pages of Pure Venom on the comments

Slamming Scott D also

The Dark Side for certain

Go to the NFL for coaches, starting with a willing O coordinator for head coach

This just isn't the reality in modern college FB. Iowa has a very strong history of fan support and administration stability. They have also had a FB coach who has been among the best paid in the nation for what...the last 15+ year? And while their offense has been a running joke for 2+ years (compounded by the drive to 325), that can be remedied very quickly with a change in coaching/scheme and personnel (hello, transfer portal!).

If we paid top money for an up and coming coach (which admittedly is a crap shoot), and happened to get lucky again, this is nothing more than a blip. If we miss on that coaching hire, we will stink, but that would also be true if we were 7-1 right now with a top-30 offense.

We are currently in a stinky stretch, but it has negligible impact on the future state of the program beyond the next year or two. That will be determined by the quality of the next hire, and any up-and-coming coach would be intrigued by rabid fan support, top-end pay, and great stability.
Get a O coordinator from the NFL as our next head coach.

Latest posts