IT'S BACK: MMQB with Jared Clauss

Always good to read former player insights! Agree 100% on the philosophy of booing to open the game, but unfortunately feel it is unlikely to be able to create the wholesale change in kinnick to make this a tradition. Would love to be proven wrong and see the Clauss vision work.

Last note on topic...(long)
I am a huge fan of Clauss and Cole's crew and have truly loved the (D-Line) tradition that is Norm Parker Defense...rush four drop seven (no blitzing)....and love the competitive streak of Clauss in defending his crew, but I do believe if players play to potential that this D-Line will go down as the best in the era. Clayborn has potential to be best ind. player on the line, and we all love the Klug's motor! Binns gets his props for coming on and displaying the long arms!!! I think that Ballard is the one that people forget about (how athletic he is). Have seen multiple quotes about him being the most athletic of the four "FREAK" -according to Clayborn, and feel with a full year under his belt inside will be poised to breakout. The key to this crew stealing that "best" label is going to be on their improvement of rush defense...if these guys can improve their dominance statistically against the run like the Clauss/Cole or Roth/Babs crews of old...(and I think they will) then I think they will earn that distinction. However in the Clauss defense, until they do they are not there yet either:) I don't have the actual number in my head right now, but didn't those crews only give up like 85 yards a game or something? Classic!

Great read. I'm a bit surprised by Jared singling out Klug's play as a key to Adrian's effectiveness. My elementary knowledge of the game had me convinced that the play of Binns would have the most direct effect on Clayborn's production.

Jon, you can lay off the caps lock. We're all gonna read every one of your posts, you don't have to worry about that. :eek::D

Great read. I'm a bit surprised by Jared singling out Klug's play as a key to Adrian's effectiveness. My elementary knowledge of the game had me convinced that the play of Binns would have the most direct effect on Clayborn's production.

If you think about it, the guys inside DO have a bigger impact. If a DT commands a double team, then you can't double the DE without keeping a TE in.

Clayborn is going to get double teamed, right next to Karl. That is going to leave Karl one on one opportunities. If he is in the backfield often, teams will not be able to afford double teaming Adrian. That goes for Ballard and Binns too, but when its right next to a guy, Klug has the chance to be huge. I felt he was the key prior to the start of the Orange Bowl..interior penetration can basically eliminate a stretch running game.

Latest posts