It's ALL about the money now... and it disgusts me...

mhawk

It's now all about the money... every last single thing about college football, including Iowa football. It just angers me to no end when I start thinking about it. People are so upset anymore as if the Iowa football program owes us Big Ten Championships, Rose Bowls, Nat championships, etc, etc. Expecting a large return on investment in a football team (depending on your definition of large) is insanely irrational. If you go to Hawk games for the sole purpose of seeing them win, then I suggest going and supporting Ohio State or Alabama. You would be much happier and it would be a much "investment." But I should caution you, if you do that, and you get to expecting national championships year after year, then 1 loss will probably ruin you and you will wish to fire the coach. And, if you do go to support those teams, DONT COME BACK WHEN THE HAWKS ARE BACK!!!! It's football for crying out loud! What ever happened to the days when it was just about taking your family to Kinnick to cheer on the Hawks win or lose? I, for one, will cheer on the Hawks no matter what. Just because our coach makes a lot of money gives everyone the right to bash him, call him names, and spit in his face. HOW RUDE! I believe that Kirk has done everything the right way while at Iowa and to me that's worth so much. I guess I'm not in the "win at any cost" majority.

I think it's time for everyone to stop seeing football games as an "investment," and more of a day to spend with your fellow Hawkeye family.

On Iowa and go Hawks!

P.S. I'm sure I will get called names now too, but I guess social media gives everyone the right to do that now too.:mad:

LOL having a good time watching football with the family is what Jack Trice stadium is for.

image.png

i-cant-even.gif

I will just shut my laptop and exit HN for a little bit to compose myself.

Yes, I spent Friday afternoon with my family watching the University of Iowa being totally embarrassed on national TV. I'm not talking about losing. I'm talking about total embarrassment.

But we enjoyed talking about the graduation rates, development of fine young men, number of NFL caliber players, the great athletic facilities at Iowa and support for both the University by the Iowa citizens and alumini. It made the viewing much easier to tolerate. Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

There is no reason you can't have both. That's what a lot of fans don't understand.

I paid tuition at Iowa, expected and received a return on my investment. I still donate to the University of Iowa Foundation for the Children's hospital and expect a return on my investment. I expect to see the results in from better healthcare for the people of Iowa. If you spend money on the athletic programs, you should expect to see positive results, not total embarrassment. I don't because Barta has failed to show any realtaionship between people's investments in the athletics and results.

It's now all about the money... every last single thing about college football, including Iowa football. It just angers me to no end when I start thinking about it. People are so upset anymore as if the Iowa football program owes us Big Ten Championships, Rose Bowls, Nat championships, etc, etc. Expecting a large return on investment in a football team (depending on your definition of large) is insanely irrational. If you go to Hawk games for the sole purpose of seeing them win, then I suggest going and supporting Ohio State or Alabama. You would be much happier and it would be a much "investment." But I should caution you, if you do that, and you get to expecting national championships year after year, then 1 loss will probably ruin you and you will wish to fire the coach. And, if you do go to support those teams, DONT COME BACK WHEN THE HAWKS ARE BACK!!!! It's football for crying out loud! What ever happened to the days when it was just about taking your family to Kinnick to cheer on the Hawks win or lose? I, for one, will cheer on the Hawks no matter what. Just because our coach makes a lot of money gives everyone the right to bash him, call him names, and spit in his face. HOW RUDE! I believe that Kirk has done everything the right way while at Iowa and to me that's worth so much. I guess I'm not in the "win at any cost" majority.

I think it's time for everyone to stop seeing football games as an "investment," and more of a day to spend with your fellow Hawkeye family.

On Iowa and go Hawks!

P.S. I'm sure I will get called names now too, but I guess social media gives everyone the right to do that now too.:mad:

I assume you are old enough to have cheered for a first down when Hayden said, "Can you imagine how they will cheer if we score a touchdown?"

I, for one, don't want to go back to the days when Iowa had 20 straight losing seasons.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am as disappointed and tired of the results as anybody is. But, if this whole thing is ONLY about the winning and losing though, history would tell you that cheering for the Hawkeyes is only going to frustrate. Do I think we can have better? Sure! Do I think it's owed to us as fans? NO! When you "invest" in a football program, no matter which one it is, you have to go into it knowing that you may not always win. It's just like gambling. It's a game. It's a football GAME. It should be about the sport, not about someone owing us as fans because we pay good money to see them play.

Again, I encourage all who are embarrassed to be a Hawkeye to transfer over to Ohio State. I'm pretty sure you will find you can wear your colors with a lot more pride.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am as disappointed and tired of the results as anybody is. But, if this whole thing is ONLY about the winning and losing though, history would tell you that cheering for the Hawkeyes is only going to frustrate. Do I think we can have better? Sure! Do I think it's owed to us as fans? NO! When you "invest" in a football program, no matter which one it is, you have to go into it knowing that you may not always win. It's just like gambling. It's a game. It's a football GAME. It should be about the sport, not about someone owing us as fans because we pay good money to see them play.

Again, I encourage all who are embarrassed to be a Hawkeye to transfer over to Ohio State. I'm pretty sure you will find you can wear your colors with a lot more pride.

If Iowa football is how you have illustrated in this thread then we might as well put a staff together and pay them $15 an hour and only pay them during the season..Let's not stop there, let's quit recruiting outside of Iowa and only bring in Iowa players and we can all have a picnic every saturday at Kinnick.. Drop out of the Big Ten and go Independent, I'm sure IPTV would pick them up..

Last edited:

Question for you... Are you in the group that thinks everyone deserves a participation medal?

Question for you... Are you in the group that thinks everyone deserves a participation medal?

Nope! In fact, I feel quite the opposite. I actually can't stand to lose. However, I think you have to take the losing with the winning. It's part of life. To turn your argument around, you make it sound like just because we pay a lot of money means we deserve to win all the time.

Nope!In fact, I feel quite the opposite. I actually can't stand to lose. However, I think you have to take the losing with the winning. It's part of life. To turn your argument around, you make it sound like just because we pay a lot of money means we deserve to win all the time.

Well, to a point you have to take the winning with the losing. However, to accept losing all the time is for losers.

Have you ever competed in sports? Do you compete with others in business?

It's a competition, and Iowa is "off the back." Accepting this level of ineptitude belies your assertion that you can't stand to lose. Clearly, you can.

Sometimes, we lose. Of course. However, there are clear objective indicators that this program is in need of a fresh start.

Are you comfortable with being at the level of Kansas, Iowa State, Purdue, Illinois, or Indiana? Well, if you look closely, we're very close to that level right now. In fact, Purdue and Indiana might be out-recruiting us.

I'm not okay with that. Why are you? You have the right to be okay with that, but understand that many of us actually feel Iowa can do better than Iowa State. It's a freakin competition, man.

The little ol' Iowa thing is getting really, really old.

On Iowa and go Hawks!

Are you serious with this? Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a results driven endeavor, and it should be. What is the point of any type of competition, sports or otherwise, if not to win? Should I also just be happy with my current position at work, and not be driven to get a promotion? When my stocks take a nose dive should I just ignore the money I'm losing, and be happy about it? This type of thinking is ludicrous, and exactly why the program is in the sorry shape it is. Patton had it right when he said, "I couldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost, and laughed." We are all tired of watching the program stagnate, and we have every right to get angry about it when those in charge clearly aren't interested in changing a damn thing in order to improve.

Nope! In fact, I feel quite the opposite. I actually can't stand to lose. However, I think you have to take the losing with the winning. It's part of life. To turn your argument around, you make it sound like just because we pay a lot of money means we deserve to win all the time.

I don't think anyone here is saying they expect to win all of the time. What I do expect however is to not lose to the Iowa St., Northern Illinois, and Western Michigan's of the CFB world. After this past season we were just a couple of minutes away from adding the Northern Iowa's and Ball State's of the CFB world to the list. It's unacceptable. PERIOD! So yeah we as fans pay our coach a lot of money expecting to not lose to crappy teams.

On Iowa and go Hawks!

Wow , I think you have it %100 backwards.

Fans are made because we have a poorly coached team and can't fire the coach because of how much money he was guaranteed.

no one is owed anything but when you are not doing you're job you don't deserve to keep it.

the school is the one that is looking at the whole situation as exclusively a business and could care less about winning. That's where the money has polluted this program. The only reason they signed him to the deal was because of how much money he was making them and they will only change when he becomes unprofitable.

If you want to be mad at someone be mad at the school for operating like a business, all fans expect wins, why the hell else would you be a fan.

It's interesting you bring this up. Us fans are obviously bad people for expecting a return on our entertainment dollar. Do you think Kirk has his current contract because he feels Fans/UofIA OWED him something? Maybe a King's ransom?

Here's a pop quiz:

_ F Broke the color barrier in the SWC

_ F Broke Barta's Piggy Bank

Put the "H" and the "K" in the correct sentence above.

On Iowa and go Hawks!

Ummmm didn't you just blast anyone and everyone with a differing opinion than yours???

hypocrite
(1) A person who engages in the same behaviors he condemns others for.

(2) A person who professes certain ideals, but fails to live up to them.

(3) A person who holds other people to higher standards than he holds himself.

Well, to a point you have to take the winning with the losing. However, to accept losing all the time is for losers.

Have you ever competed in sports? Do you compete with others in business?

In fact I have competed in 6 different sports. Have you? Do you know how much effort, hard work, sweat, and investment the athletes and coaches put into this thing? Did you throw a complete tantrum every time you lost? If so, what did that accomplish? And when you lost, would you like the fans booing you, completely bashing you on message boards, etc? I'm guessing it would be pretty discouraging to you. It's totally dumb to say that someone would be okay with losing. Of course not! What I'm proposing is that we act like we are the best fans in the world. True fans are not found when we are winning, rather when we are losing. I appreciate what the players and coaches have invested to win. I have been there myself. But, sometimes you are just not as good as the other man (who also has prepared hard). You have to pick yourself up and work to get better. At this point, you also look for people to encourage you and as fans, that is what we need to do for this team.

Wow! There is true anger on this board! I suggest you all just go protest in front of Gary Barta's door until he does something about this coach of our's.... and I wouldn't leave until you get results. In fact, I hope Kinnick has 30K in it next year to send a message to GB. I'm sure any potential recruits will be real impressed with that! Good night!

In fact I have competed in 6 different sports. Have you? Do you know how much effort, hard work, sweat, and investment the athletes and coaches put into this thing? Did you throw a complete tantrum every time you lost? If so, what did that accomplish? And when you lost, would you like the fans booing you, completely bashing you on message boards, etc? I'm guessing it would be pretty discouraging to you. It's totally dumb to say that someone would be okay with losing. Of course not! What I'm proposing is that we act like we are the best fans in the world. True fans are not found when we are winning, rather when we are losing. I appreciate what the players and coaches have invested to win. I have been there myself. But, sometimes you are just not as good as the other man (who also has prepared hard). You have to pick yourself up and work to get better. At this point, you also look for people to encourage you and as fans, that is what we need to do for this team.

I think the fans have been pretty good and loyal to KF for the past decade, while he has only really give them 1 great, 1 very good, season in those 10 years. The rest have been either disappointing, or very disappointing.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself is this coach getting the kind of results that we want at the U of I. If you are going to argue that having 6 seasons of 7 wins or less and 8 out of 10 with 8 wins or less is the acceptable level of success here at Iowa, you are going to get many who disagree with you on that.

Latest posts