It's a bird, it's a plane...

There's a thread over at CyFan that's all about how Stevo is a better coach than Fran and it ain't even close.

we as a fanbase just cant move on can we? Alford hasn't set foot in iowa city in 10 years, i do not care what happens to the guy anymore. He has clearly proven he is a good mid-major coach, not suited for the power conferences.

I didn't hate the guy, neither did I love him, he is not my problem anymore.

it's about who he was when he was here - what he said about iowa - and how he left. 'freaking iowa' comes to mind.

and i can guarantee you playmaker would have been all about firing Davis so we could 'take it to the next level' instead of winning 20+ games per year and never losing a 1st round ncaa game in 13 years - having made the ncaa tourney 9 of 13 years.......and 5 of those years exiting by losing to a #1 seed.......

He's got the right kind of hair to appear on TV. He might be OK at that job.

The boosters have to be disgusted as they told the AD to get a coach who can get players who have been in Jail. The AD thought they meant gel. :)

-----Just stop Playmaker, let's agree to disagree ok?

Ok, lets be serious then.....do you really see Fran taking us to an Elite 8 or Final 4 anytime soon? Me neither. If he isn't the solution, why should he be allowed to stick around 3-4 years too long in typical Iowa fashion? Again, he shouldn't be allowed to.....but will nevertheless.

Again, who is this can't miss Elite 8, Final 4 coach that about 90% of other P5 programs also don't have?

Teddy Roosevelt "those who complain about problems without offering a solution are just whining"

At least say who you think would be a few options for coach....

Again, who is this can't miss Elite 8, Final 4 coach that about 90% of other P5 programs also don't have?

Teddy Roosevelt "those who complain about problems without offering a solution are just whining"

The people on this board would go absolutely ballistic if Iowa hired Lute today. A coach with thirteen years as a high school coach, four years junior college experience & one year at Division I. Nobody since has even come close to accomplishing what Lute did & all of their resumes blow Lute's out of the water. Look at all of the bitchin' over Fran. However, Fran's resume was more impressive than Lute's. Compare Lick's resume with Lute's & there is no question that Lick's was far superior.

So, let's think about the recent new coaches in the conference. How have those turned out for Northwestern, Illinois and Minny? No thanks, I think we can keep Fran around a little longer yet.

The way he rants against Fran, I think Playmaker believes he should have the job.

no more gel for his hair cuz he wanna look like Donald the Duck who's running for President of Mississsippi Swamp Club.

we as a fanbase just cant move on can we? Alford hasn't set foot in iowa city in 10 years, i do not care what happens to the guy anymore. He has clearly proven he is a good mid-major coach, not suited for the power conferences.

I didn't hate the guy, neither did I love him, he is not my problem anymore.

The reason people hate Alford isn't really his win loss record (even though it wasn't great).

The reason people hate Alford was he was an arrogant, entitled, d-bag who throughout his life had learned to think he was God's gift.

I can tell you about 5 stories about Alford... one was he going off on a tirade on the equipment manager... dropping about 20 f bombs saying he was going to have her "lesbian" arse fired and "Do you know who the F*** I am" I have a relative who played women's basketball for Iowa and witnessed this.

He also thought he didn't need to pay for anything ever.

He is a roaring primmadonna d-bag.. thats why people don't like him.

The reason people hate Alford isn't really his win loss record (even though it wasn't great).

The reason people hate Alford was he was an arrogant, entitled, d-bag who throughout his life had learned to think he was God's gift.

I can tell you about 5 stories about Alford... one was he going off on a tirade on the equipment manager... dropping about 20 f bombs saying he was going to have her "lesbian" arse fired and "Do you know who the F*** I am" I have a relative who played women's basketball for Iowa and witnessed this.

Where did that John Deere lawn tractor end up that he never paid for?

Where did that John Deere lawn tractor end up that he never paid for?

found it..........

200.gif

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. If the story you just mentioned is true (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) then Alf sounds like a real piece of work. More so than I ever realized when he was our coach.

Lick's record was actually far worse than Alford, but it's Alford who really gets most of the hate on these boards. Other than people overstating the obvious at how bad the Lick years were, people seem to otherwise wish the guy well. Alford - lots of LOL'ing at him when his teams puke one up.

I'll guess that most people would have put up with it if he'd have won more, though. So it's really probably a combination of the average W/L record AND his charming personality.

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. If the story you just mentioned is true (I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) then Alf sounds like a real piece of work. More so than I ever realized when he was our coach.

Lick's record was actually far worse than Alford, but it's Alford who really gets most of the hate on these boards. Other than people overstating the obvious at how bad the Lick years were, people seem to otherwise wish the guy well. Alford - lots of LOL'ing at him when his teams puke one up.

I'll guess that most people would have put up with it if he'd have won more, though. So it's really probably a combination of the average W/L record AND his charming personality.

After the PP mess, Alford needed to win and win at a high level. You couldn't have his personality on top of the way he handled the PP situation and expect people to embrace him.

Latest posts