It wasn't KOK and it isn't GD. KF is the author of our awful offense.

I've always said that OC is the one job that 90%+ of fans think they could do better. That < 10% segment are the fans of teams that are lucky enough to root for a team that has an OC who is recognized as an offensive genius in the media, etc (which, in many cases, probably has much more to do with personnel and less to do with the OC's particular brand of genius).

I'm not saying KOK or GD are/were perfect OC's, I'm just saying it is a little more complicated than "why are you running! PASS!" and "why are you passing?!? RUN IT!!!" (which is what it boils down to for many fans...completely discounting what might be going on on the defensive side, trying to break tendencies, etc)

OC is a tough job. 90% may be too high, but your point is well-taken. I am sure I can not do nearly as well as GD.

I think a big chunk of the "do it better crowd " play a lot of compute games....

Last edited:
Seriously, our issue isn't at the skill positions. Ok, let me ask you a question. Our number one running back who gets 70% of the carries is Mark Weisman, a true FB. Do you think he is better than any of the number one's at other B10 schools? Let's go through a few...Carlos Hyde, no; Lankford, no; Vendric Mark, no; White, no; Melvin Gordon, no; Donnell Kirkwood, no; Ameer Abdullah, no; Fitz Toussant, no. Those are just a few off the top of my head. These are all guys that every week make their offensive line better because they can create on their own. Weisman doesn't create anything...but he does pound, which is useful.

At WR, name one guy who has performed at a B10 level...or who after the catch makes people miss and is a nightmare in open space...you know, someone who gets a little opening, and next thing you know they are making people miss, sharp cuts to open lanes, etc, and a threat to house it. KMM, no; Smith, shows promise, but no; Hillyer, shows promise, but no; Powell, shows promise and straight ahead speed yes, but defense altering threat at this point, no; Shumpert, no. We have young guys that show promise, and we have more possession type receivers, but none have risen to the point of a Marvin McNutt (in college) or DJK.

Are any of these guys in the same class as Abbrederis, Gallon, or Robinson? Let me ask you this, did you see the receivers that Missouri puts on the field, Clemson puts on the field, Oklahoma puts on the field, Florida State puts on the field...need I go on? All these guys are a nightmare when they get there hands on the ball on short passes and all can beat you deep with speed. Thats a skill position player. We aren't there.

See where I'm going here. It's skill position players and their experience and talent. I believe we have made strides in recruiting the past few years...but it isn't on the field yet.

News flash: you and I are better than Fitz Toussaint.

Seriously, our issue isn't at the skill positions. Ok, let me ask you a question. Our number one running back who gets 70% of the carries is Mark Weisman, a true FB. Do you think he is better than any of the number one's at other B10 schools? Let's go through a few...Carlos Hyde, no; Lankford, no; Vendric Mark, no; White, no; Melvin Gordon, no; Donnell Kirkwood, no; Ameer Abdullah, no; Fitz Toussant, no. Those are just a few off the top of my head. These are all guys that every week make their offensive line better because they can create on their own. Weisman doesn't create anything...but he does pound, which is useful.

At WR, name one guy who has performed at a B10 level...or who after the catch makes people miss and is a nightmare in open space...you know, someone who gets a little opening, and next thing you know they are making people miss, sharp cuts to open lanes, etc, and a threat to house it. KMM, no; Smith, shows promise, but no; Hillyer, shows promise, but no; Powell, shows promise and straight ahead speed yes, but defense altering threat at this point, no; Shumpert, no. We have young guys that show promise, and we have more possession type receivers, but none have risen to the point of a Marvin McNutt (in college) or DJK.

Are any of these guys in the same class as Abbrederis, Gallon, or Robinson? Let me ask you this, did you see the receivers that Missouri puts on the field, Clemson puts on the field, Oklahoma puts on the field, Florida State puts on the field...need I go on? All these guys are a nightmare when they get there hands on the ball on short passes and all can beat you deep with speed. Thats a skill position player. We aren't there.

See where I'm going here. It's skill position players and their experience and talent. I believe we have made strides in recruiting the past few years...but it isn't on the field yet.

I would agree with this assessment but isn't it the responsibility of the HC to recruit? Whether its not offering the right kids, not securing commits from the right kids, or offering the wrong kids, it comes back to Ferentz.

News flash: you and I are better than Fitz Toussaint.

So I typed all of that in response to your post and that's all you got out of it. LOL...pretty funny. Unfortunately, I don't think I am better than Fitz...I didn't get an offer to play at Michigan. Something about 170lb white guys with 4.8 forty speed not being attractive to them. I never understood it.

A more obvious and logical explanation is that the OC's agree that the general philosophy is the best fit. KF could be his own OC if he was as egotistical as some say. He could make more money and power that way.

Last edited:
IMO, as long as KF's offensive style is ultra-conservative and players aren't allowed to show their athleticism on the field, it doesn't matter if Iowa gets the athletic recruits. Most assuredly, athletic recruits will take notice and go to schools that are willing to show their athleticism.

Iowa's D used to be ultra-conservative like the O, but Phil has changed a few things, and, IMO, more and more athletic recruits on D will come to play for Iowa.
We still can’t recruit an “athletic” DE. Why is that?

Latest posts