It sounds Tim Lester is the guy.

Just wait and see hopefully it turns out ok but i think Kirk is still running the whole show . Beth Goetz must of went along with it. Or is it a money thing?
I know but damn it anyway! The young man in me says take the hot one who's a 7,8 9 or a 10. The old man in me now says if you'd taken that older 2 or 4 with a shit load money once she croaked you buy that 10!

I least I have heard of the guy. Famous for being a college QB and later as a head coach in the MAC.

One thing is for sure, Tim Lester has a lot of proving to do in a very short amount of time. I will be rooting for him, but on the surface this is not the shot in the arm the program needed. Looks like more of the same.

Don't take it as gospel. That said, results wise, this is a pretty shitty hire.....the best he could do in 90 days?

I will say this though....FryIowa maybe right in this sense.......Kirk may not have been able to get anyone worth a damn for this main reason:

1. Kirk has probably 2 years left max, and the new coach is going to clean house leaving the OC high and dry.

I will add 2 more possibilities:

2. What quality OC wants to work for a micro-manager head coach and coming into Iowa's situation of terrible offense and the focus on defense and punting?

3. Was Iowa prepared to pay top dollar for said quality OC?
I'm thinking Micro manager is what kept the Atlanta Falcons from making a hire everyone thought was going to happen and didn’t this week

I like the hire. He is the right level of experience. He has called plays and been a lower level coach. He will not wilt under the pressure of this. His is a Midwestern guy and has coached in the Big 10 and midwest. He knows how to recruit and knows the footprint. Most of all, he was and has coached QBs nearly his entire .career. I think this is a solid hire, if not sexy.

Bad hire based on results:

Head coaching record[edit]​

YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
Saint Joseph's Pumas (NCAA Division II independent) (2004)
2004Saint Joseph's7–4
Saint Joseph's:7–4[26]
Elmhurst Bluejays (College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin) (2008–2012)
2008Elmhurst7–34–34th
2009Elmhurst4–61–67th
2010Elmhurst6–43–4T–5th
2011Elmhurst6–44–34th
2012Elmhurst0–2 (10 wins vacated)[a]0–1T–1stL NCAA Division III Quarterfinal
Elmhurst:23–19[28]12–17
Western Michigan Broncos (Mid-American Conference) (2017–2022)
2017Western Michigan6–64–44th (West)
2018Western Michigan7–65–3T–2nd (West)L Famous Idaho Potato
2019Western Michigan7–65–32nd (West)L First Responder
2020Western Michigan4–24–2T–2nd (West)
2021Western Michigan8–54–4T–4th (West)W Quick Lane
2022Western Michigan5–74–43rd (West)
Western Michigan:37–3226–20
Total:67–55
National championship Conference title Conference division title or championship game berth
You're looking at the wrong data. We didn't hire him to be a head coach. His offenses actually performed quite well while he was there. I think it was a good hire, but we'll see this fall.

Though it does not excite me let’s give it a chance! It has been awful the last few years offensively so being negative about a new hire is pointless. We got no where to go but up offensively and we are going to. Save all the negativity for Nebraska fans. Go Hawks!

His resume is not that dissimilar from Johns. He's demonstrated reasonable success running an offense and has a QB coaching background which is a plus. Also, being immersed in Matt LaFleur's system in GB over the past year can't hurt.

Not a splash hire by any means, but I'm willing to see how it plays out.

Yeah, those 2 guys were basically the same. Anyone super upset that it is Lester and not Johns just wants to be upset.

You're looking at the wrong data. We didn't hire him to be a head coach. His offenses actually performed quite well while he was there. I think it was a good hire, but we'll see this fall.
But, did you see how his offense dropped in his last year when the OC split. Was it him, or is his OC?

Last edited:
Sorry. At daughter's VB tournament in Quad Cities

----------

Reports: Iowa Hiring Tim Lester

Veteran Coach Expected to Be Hawkeyes' New Offensive Coordinator

----------

How did the VB tournament turn out? I hope she did really well. My daughter is 31 now. I now enjoy her three year old daughter (my granddaughter). Hope to get to live long enough to watch my grand daugher grow up through her high school years and college. They grow up so fast. Cherish every moment Rob.

----------

Nice write Rob, thank you. I’d be thrilled if he could get Iowa’s offense in the top forty like he did Western Michigan. I do realize they weren’t playing big ten caliber programs every week.

Last edited:
How did the VB tournament turn out? I hope she did really well. My daughter is 31 now. I now enjoy her three year old daughter (my granddaughter). Hope to get to live long enough to watch my grand daugher grow up through her high school years and college. They grow up so fast. Cherish every moment Rob.
Thanks. Tough day but they were playing up an age group. Much harder watching my kids play than competing myself.

I'm not as down on this hire as most seem to be. I was ready to be pissed but decided to see what I was going to be pissed about before I got pissed about it.

I watched a long series of instructional videos about his offenses and some videos of his teams' offenses. I got pretty excited with what I saw as far as the scheme is concerned. If he can stay healthy, it seems like an offense that Cade, or a QB like him, could flourish in.

His offenses averaged 31.8 PPG at WMU. From what I could find, he called plays every year there except the first year, when Johns was his OC.
(Johns' teams averaged have 31.6 PPG). Doesn't necessarily mean that much, but it's all about scoring points, especially with our defense and his offenses have produced points.

I see so many judging him on his head coaching record. His defenses gave up an average of 30 PPG and were never in the top 50. Based on his offenses alone, they produced. I realize it was the MAC, but PJ Fleck's teams averaged nearly the same amount of points there as Lester's and he was considered an offensive douchebag genius and it got him promoted to a B1G school and a HEAD coach.

I said in a earlier post somewhat sarcastically that he'll pick someone that will make it look as if Brian shouldn't have been fired. Lester would be someone with NFL experience and somebody Kirk can manipulate more into his vanilla ass scheme. Not to worry though, the kool-aid drinkers will suck it down like opium based purple passion that I had few times while stationed in Okinawa and buy those season tickets and keep Kinnick full enjoying the same shit we've seen for two decade's and winning those juggernaut games against the weak big teams while trying not forget or admit that we're one of them. The only thing I hope is one day we get a shitty kicker and punter to peel the rest of the onion back. When I hire employees I look for initiative, potential and someone to interject fresh and new idea's. Of course I'm also trying to advance the business I'm head of into future times and offer customers great options and try to compete and surpass my competitors. Not Kirk though, he stuck in late 90's and early 2000's! I swear he's the one behind the space helmet and lunar craft on the MTV in the 80's right before Dire Straits comes on with Money for nothing! There, I've vented hopefully prematurely and if Lester is hired they'll be no ejaculation with it!
lot to unpack there interesting take. I think you meant the Buggles (Video Killed the Radio Star)

Latest posts