It matters how we win. If you can't see that, check out now and read no further.

ProfessorHawk

Hello again, fellow Hawkeyes. I just had another tome to share. My wife kicked me off the desktop, and the security features I have running on my laptop prevent standard formatting. So protest not, for Res ipsa loquitur. It matters how we win. And I cannot even now, very now, shut off the Italics. My laptop sucks extremely and I will never buy Toshiba again or Windows 8. But it does matter how we win. Still can't turn the Italics off. Hitting return accomplishes nothing, so STFU a priori. Winning at all costs is the sort of emotional and amoral perspective of people who invade media offices and gun down journalists., just to grab a bit of media currency. If there is no other metric beyond wins and losses, we automatically reduce ourselves. Michigan will discover whether their insanely high-stakes gambit unfolds the way their theoretical strategy sessions suggest they should. Theory is often gregarious, in that it rarely produces outcomes that fall within the narrow outcomes predicted by shallow theorizing and often fails to produce at all. Theory can also bite in unintentional manners, whereby things we didn't foresee nonetheless emerge to confound our expectations. Kirk is not a failed man, or, at least, not a failed coach by most standard metrics unique to his profession. I wanna win as much or more than all of you, but I recognize that the manner in which we win or lose defines us. Methodology matters because it reveals who we are, what assumptions we make, and how we view reality. I'm quite certain Kirk Ferentz views the financial reality of Iowa Football quite accurately. This is also his legacy. We should be very cautious and not assume getting Pro Combat gear and throwing caution to the wind will elicit the results expected. Sometimes, the apple falls on our head, and we are faced with explaining why. Other times, the apple fails to fall, and we are still faced with providing explanations. Kirk has to provide explanations, not us. I recommend patience and, even, leniency in judgment. What if the stakes are greater than we know?

Hello again, fellow Hawkeyes. I just had another tome to share. My wife kicked me off the desktop, and the security features I have running on my laptop prevent standard formatting. So protest not, for Res ipsa loquitur. It matters how we win. And I cannot even now, very now, shut off the Italics. My laptop sucks extremely and I will never buy Toshiba again or Windows 8. But it does matter how we win. Still can't turn the Italics off. Hitting return accomplishes nothing, so STFU a priori. Winning at all costs is the sort of emotional and amoral perspective of people who invade media offices and gun down journalists., just to grab a bit of media currency. If there is no other metric beyond wins and losses, we automatically reduce ourselves. Michigan will discover whether their insanely high-stakes gambit unfolds the way their theoretical strategy sessions suggest they should. Theory is often gregarious, in that it rarely produces outcomes that fall within the narrow outcomes predicted by shallow theorizing and often fails to produce at all. Theory can also bite in unintentional manners, whereby things we didn't foresee nonetheless emerge to confound our expectations. Kirk is not a failed man, or, at least, not a failed coach by most standard metrics unique to his profession. I wanna win as much or more than all of you, but I recognize that the manner in which we win or lose defines us. Methodology matters because it reveals who we are, what assumptions we make, and how we view reality. I'm quite certain Kirk Ferentz views the financial reality of Iowa Football quite accurately. This is also his legacy. We should be very cautious and not assume getting Pro Combat gear and throwing caution to the wind will elicit the results expected. Sometimes, the apple falls on our head, and we are faced with explaining why. Other times, the apple fails to fall, and we are still faced with providing explanations. Kirk has to provide explanations, not us. I recommend patience and, even, leniency in judgment. What if the stakes are greater than we know?

Like when Kirk didn't foresee the fake punt against Wisconsin while everyone else in the stadium did. Yeah, that was confounding. It was also the beginning of the end for the Captain.

Like when Kirk didn't foresee the fake punt against Wisconsin while everyone else in the stadium did. Yeah, that was confounding. It was also the beginning of the end for the Captain.

Oh get over that fake punt by Wisconsin already. It's just going to bring back all of our ulcers.

Of course it matters how we win. We did not win good against UNI and Ball St and that was a harbinger of bad things to come like the next week against a crappy, crappy ISU team.

Just the fact that losing to ISU ends up not giving you 8 wins is troubling.

And we also lost badly 3 times and I dont remember even the 2000 team losing bad 3 times.

A really strong Big 10 team should swamp UNI, Ball St, and ISU, crush them but we couldnt so we turned out to not be very strong.

I better go. I guess I need to go buy an assault rifle because I could really care less how Iowa gets there, I just want them to be good. I'm not saying National Titles but a chance to win the Big 10 West most years and to actually win it every couple of years.

We are all charged top 10 money for football so I will expect them to be a top 25 team every year.

I could look at Tennessee's Top 15 skill guys and Iowa's Top 15 skill guys in all the same workout clothes and I bet you $1000 I could pick with 80% accuracy which guys belonged to which team....some of or DB's and LB's look like extras from Friday Night Lights.

Last edited:
In summary: Be careful what you ask for...

I disagree with the OP. The only time fans start to complain about how we win is because we aren't winning enough. I recall very few complaints about how we were winning during the first 9 games in 2009. The how we win complaints, like the how much Ferentz gets paid complaints, are all symptoms of a bigger issue... not winning.

Professor, just when the thought of giving Miller .00001 cent per click was feeling dirty, your new take on the same the same old thing feels well worth it again. Bravo

I disagree with the OP. The only time fans start to complain about how we win is because we aren't winning enough. I recall very few complaints about how we were winning during the first 9 games in 2009. The how we win complaints, like the how much Ferentz gets paid complaints, are all symptoms of a bigger issue... not winning.
THIS! Kind of. When you barely beat a team you should wipe up the floor with, and it happens too often, you will hear complaints.

Latest posts