It is what i feared.

dagdaj

The WNBA is not going to be able to keep me.
I don't live in any of their cities, and do I not have any personal affinity for any of them. Probably why I don't care about the NBA. And why, as a St. Louisan, I only hate watch the NFL.

The pace of the game is slower. The field goal percentage across the league is lower than the top 30 or so NCAA teams. There is no attempt at varying styles since they can all draft post players over 6'5". The motivations for playing change and widen when they enter the league. The excitement level on the benches is 50% of what you see in college.

I mean, the level of appreciation for Bluder (and many of the other coaches I watched in college over the last 3 years) is immense. They entertain the hell out of me. With presses. Defense changes. And that transition. The only time i've seen anything remotely close to transition in the dozen or so WNBA games I've watched comes after a steal or rebound out past the arc.

When I watch eleventy billion hours of college football over a weekend and then turn on an NFL game, I'm always just so shocked at how fast the plays seem compared to college.

Having that same feeling watching the WNBA, but it's going the other direction.

Again, i honestly believe in large part, it's because the best potential players never get drafted. They don't even enter the draft. Which is why I think Kate Martin is going to have a very solid career in the WNBA. Obviously, an outstanding player. Who, likely never gets drafted IF, she didn't play on a 2-time runner up, alongside the player who's generated the most buzz in this sport ever. And yet, teams need glue. And heart.

The only hope for me is they expand to STL or DSM. Or the Fever radically change they way they play. Otherwise, I'll just stick with the NCAA exclusively. Certainly not renewing my WNBA pass at this point.

The WNBA initiated from NCAA women's basketball. Women's college basketball has been dominated by a few teams; Tennessee and Connecticut are prominent. The Summits and Auriemma's established a style that won at the collegiate level, was copied, and carried it over to the WNBA. Interest in women's collegiate basketball has or was always limited. The best recruits landed on a few teams. When they moved on to the WNBA the style of play went with them.

Trying to operate a uptempo style in the WNBA is probably not going to work. Current team players are or were drafted to fit the big, rugged, physical style. The freedom of movement is very limited by how the games are called. Unless the WNBA recognizes the need for change it is going to die. I quit watching the NBA because it once was largely a pushing and shoving contest. It is not that anymore, but I have no interest in it because I don't want to spend too much time on sports viewing.

The WNBA initiated from NCAA women's basketball. Women's college basketball has been dominated by a few teams; Tennessee and Connecticut are prominent. The Summits and Auriemma's established a style that won at the collegiate level, was copied, and carried it over to the WNBA. Interest in women's collegiate basketball has or was always limited. The best recruits landed on a few teams. When they moved on to the WNBA the style of play went with them.

Trying to operate a uptempo style in the WNBA is probably not going to work. Current team players are or were drafted to fit the big, rugged, physical style. The freedom of movement is very limited by how the games are called. Unless the WNBA recognizes the need for change it is going to die. I quit watching the NBA because it once was largely a pushing and shoving contest. It is not that anymore, but I have no interest in it because I don't want to spend too much time on sports viewing.

I feel this.

I"m not likely to keep watching
I'm at that point too... I just love watching CC play but it's pure pain to watch her frustration continue to fester and get the best of her as she wastes away trying to carry such a terrible, unwatchable team!!

I'm at that point too... I just love watching CC play but it's pure pain to watch her frustration continue to fester and get the best of her as she wastes away trying to carry such a terrible, unwatchable team!!
CC with 30 pts tonight. She's going to be alright if she can get some rest. I bet the Fever missed 10 wide open bunnies and 3s in the game.

Sparks vs Fever: LA was unconscious from 3 and Indiana was the opposite. After 8 games or 20% of the schedule Indiana looks disorganized. While CC22 had her best scoring night, but the offense had too many bad possessions. Mitchell has been forcing shots (5 of 15) and not making any assists or rebounding. Fever shot like .38% for the game.

Sparks vs Fever: LA was unconscious from 3 and Indiana was the opposite. After 8 games or 20% of the schedule Indiana looks disorganized. While CC22 had her best scoring night, but the offense had too many bad possessions. Mitchell has been forcing shots (5 of 15) and not making any assists or rebounding. Fever shot like .38% for the game.
Fever played like .38 Special

Of all the stats from last nights game the one that stands out to me is Clark was a +4 while on the court and team had a -10 when she wasn't... The over 3 min stretch where she rested Clark was when the momentum really flipped and the Fever just aren't good enough to overcome that.

It's just not a good team and the coach is totally clueless. I bet ole Clark is going to have similar issues that Lebron had early on in his career. Can the Fever entice FAs to come there? They are on pace to get number 1 pick again (with expansion coming maybe they won't get that though I'm not sure how they'll do that) But Indiana doesn't seem like a place that FAs are just dying to go to. When there's little to no financial incentive to do so. Even if Indiana could offer 10k more then NY or LA would that even do the trick? I doubt it.

Clark, Boston (she has her own issues) Fagbenle, and Mitchell are the only players I really see with much value on that team. They could literally overhaul the rest of it as far as I'm concerned.