ISU/UNI results

fulsaasfan

Hopefully some of you watched it today on IPTV but if not here are the results. Another bad day for Penrith and the Panthers...

#2 Iowa State 42 Northern Iowa 0
Dec. 19 Cedar Falls, Iowa (West Gym; n/a)
149 Mitch Mueller (ISU) MD Jamal Lawrence 22-8
157 Andrew Sorenson (ISU) MD Tyson Reiner 13-3
165 Jon Reader (ISU) TF5 David Bonin 19-4 (5:51)
174 Duke Burk (ISU) D Jarion Beets 7-5
184 Jerome Ward (ISU) D Andy O’Loughlin 8-2
197 Jake Varner (ISU) MD Dustin Bauman 13-4
HWT David Zabriskie (ISU) D Christian Brantley 6-1 tb
125 Andrew Long (ISU) TF5 Terrance Young 19-4 (6:46)
133 Nick Fanthorpe (ISU) TF5 Ryan Jauch 22-5 (6:47)
141 Dalton Jensen (ISU) PIN Alec Hoffman 1:17

It really was ugly. Was thinking they might not come out as flat but it may have been worse in some cases. Hopefully the kids care and learn from it.
Still can't forget the story for a couple of people who saw a bunch of the team out on the Hill one night after a days *** beating and no one seemed to be concerned at all, not only that they had lost, but in the style that they had.

I'm not saying they can't have fun if they lose but the description of it was almost like they had lost an intramural flag football game. These are the kind of things that worry fans about Penrith as a coach. He gets some talent but unless that person has the want and desire on their own there doesn't seem to be a lot of growth from the athletes.

This is absolutely sickening to me! As many of you may know I have close ties to the program, but I was furious when the AD chose to extend Penrith. It has become painfully obvious he cannot develop the talent needed to compete at the top 10 level, which is where UNI could and should be. He has hung his hat on winning 20 or so straight conference titles in a row, well guess what that streak is going to end his year and they probably won't win another one as long as Branch is at Wyoming. Now I like Penrith and he has totally changed his life around, but it is time for a change. Hopefully they can reassign him in the Ath. Dept. so there won't be a buyout and we can get a great young head coach. One other point is the staff that Penrith has put together is terrible, but the money he has available to hire is not there.

Yes, this is sickening. I was on record for defending the rehiring of Penrith, mostly on the grounds that they weren't going to do lot better for the money. But USAF, I gotta agree that two of these blowouts to in-state rivals aren't good for anyone. The Hawks and Clones can't afford to schedule meets against non-conference Div. I teams that offer no competition. UNI gets better talent than their record demonstrates, and that seems like a coaching problem to many of us. This level of performance is unacceptable, and unless the coach can turn this thing around pretty damn soon, he needs to go.
My worst fear is that the AD will use this poor performance to close down the wrestling team to satisfy other agendas.

Last edited:
penrith needs to be gone and should of been awhile ago...plenty of good coaches out there who would love to coach there....now everything is lost so some might not take the coaching job

Latest posts