ISU - The really BIG meltdown has begun

Too funny. Indeed, they thought they had been "saved", but now that they know what "saved" means, not feeling quite so good about their situation. :D

It's like being "saved" from a bunch of grizzlies by a roving band of raping cannibals.

It's all relative I guess.

Here is something I posted over at CF:

I guess a lot of folks are going to have to wait until 2015 or so before they realize this increased financial windfall that Beebee was promising. I doubt Texas chose to remain in the B12 because of that. I think they are just biding their time, and they want to form their own Bevo TV Network, and could do that with the B12.

Fox has an option to re-up at their current rate. Why bid against yourself? ESPN deal isn't up for a half decade.

Will ISU earn more in 2011-2012? Yes, but it looks like only because there are two fewer conference teams to split the pie up with. These mega numbers that Beebe was throwing out there, by his own admission today, are based on positive conversations he had with people in the tv arena that told him what things might be worth when its time to reup

By then, there will have probably been radical realignment anyway, Texas will have built its TV network, and ISU will have been competing every year with Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas Tech on the schedule. Since 2000, ISU is 2-16 against those teams. Since 2000, Texas has lost to just one Big 12 North school in a regular season game, and Oklahoma has just lost to two Big 12 North schools in regular season games. ISU went to six bowl games in the last decade. All but five of those bowl seasons came in years where ISU did not play Oklahoma and Texas. The exception being when Wallace was QB, and there are not many of him.

I do realize you have to consider all of the alternatives, and the landscape there was not pretty. But I hope ISU gets paid for this at some point in time, as that will be the primary benefit.

Last edited:
Today's schadenfreude is way better than last week's schadenfreude. Irrelevant State University's ungodly screwing was merely a hypothetical back then.

As the details become available..

Here is something I posted over at CF:

I guess a lot of folks are going to have to wait until 2015 or so before they realize this increased financial windfall that Beebee was promising. I doubt Texas chose to remain in the B12 because of that. I think they are just biding their time, and they want to form their own Bevo TV Network, and could do that with the B12.

Fox has an option to re-up at their current rate. Why bid against yourself? ESPN deal isn't up for a half decade.

Will ISU earn more in 2011-2012? Yes, but it looks like only because there are two fewer conference teams to split the pie up with. These mega numbers that Beebe was throwing out there, by his own admission today, are based on positive conversations he had with people in the tv arena that told him what things might be worth when its time to reup

By then, there will have probably been radical realignment anyway, Texas will have built its TV network, and ISU will have been competing every year with Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma and Texas Tech on the schedule. Since 2000, ISU is 2-16 against those teams. Since 2000, Texas has lost to just one Big 12 North school in a regular season game, and Oklahoma has just lost to two Big 12 North schools in regular season games. Since 2000, Texas has lost to just one Big 12 North school in a regular season game, and Oklahoma has just lost to two Big 12 North schools in regular season games. ISU went to six bowl games in the last decade. All but five of those bowl seasons came in years where ISU did not play Oklahoma and Texas. The exception being when Wallace was QB, and there are not many of him.

I do realize you have to consider all of the alternatives, and the landscape there was not pretty. But I hope ISU gets paid for this at some point in time, as that will be the primary benefit.

it is evident that this deal it set up to be a short-term fix, not something long-term. I don't know what I would have done had I been in ISU's shoes, as their alternatives were not many or very good.
I know that every team/school is out for itself, even those in the Big 10 to some extent. But the way this deal is structured shows that Texas has no affinity whatsoever for the members in its OWN CONFERENCE. It is shocking. To Texas, ISU/KSU/KU/Mizzou are merely an means to an end, a way for UT to increase revenues and leave the Longhorns free to plot their own future. They need someone (or a few someones) to fill out the conference roster, provide opponents for the season and keep them in a BCS conference, and ISU/KSU/Mizzou/KU are the filler for UT to accomplish its goals.

It would be an utter shock if this conference were in existence 10 years from now, and even 5 years I'd put at only 50/50. Texas will be gone if they get a better deal elsewhere, and Missouri would still bolt in a heartbeat if the Big 10 came with an offer.

Sports Business Daily:
Promise Of FSN Extension, ESPN Stability Helps Big 12 Stay Intact

"But sources say FSN has told Big 12 officials that it would increase its annual payout to as much as $130-$140M per year. It currently pays $19.5M per year for the cable TV rights, a deal that ends following the '11-12 season. As part of its proposed deal, FSN has asked to take control of the conference's third-tier rights that are currently controlled by rights holders IMG, ISP and Learfield, sources said. These rights include radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage."

I'm sorry, even with all those rights, I don't see how you could go from $19.5 mil to $130-140 mil.

Maybe FOX is looking to start printing money too?

But hell, even if it did go up that much, what is there to say that ISU and the other 4 who just signed away the exit fees will see a dime more than what they're getting now? That it won't all go to Texas and Oklahoma?

Because if Texas could get them to sign away those exit fees now, they can certainly get them to do it again with a new TV deal.

Hell, let's push it to the extreme: What if with a new TV deal Texas makes ISU take even LESS money than what they're getting now, simply because they know they'll get away with it? Will you ISU fans still be happy about the Big 12 then if you get even less money and there's an even bigger exit fee to jump ship?

Texas will now set this up so there is no escape for the likes of ISU.

Last edited:
Hell, let's push it to the extreme: What if with a new TV deal Texas makes ISU take even LESS money than what they're getting now, simply because they know they'll get away with it? Will you ISU fans still be happy about the Big 12 then if you get even less money and there's an even bigger exit fee to jump ship?

If that started then ISU/Kansas/Mizzou/KSU would leave for the Big 10, Big East, WAC... etc...

Then the south would go to the PAC 10... maybe that will still end up happening a few years down the road. Who knows. What has happened is what was best for all... Just 'cuz ISU/KU/KSU/Mizzou get screwed on the exit money it is still better than the alternative... at least right now.

The deal has to be analyzed based on the alternative. The deal is fine.

Its comments like this that make it entirely clear to me why ISU has never been able to be good. You just got handed the mother lode of shaft jobs in the history of mother lode shaft jobs and you make a statement like this. I am done. I have gone out of my way to defend ISU but no more. ISU as an institution is done and it’s now time for the state of Iowa to focus its resources on its only remaining viable school. In the end no one could save ISU from its self. I will miss the fact that ISU won’t be around anymore but there is nothing now that will save them. They have sealed they’re fate and now we will watch then suffer a long and painful death. Enjoy what few days you have left. Iowa needs to look towards the future and the first move is to get the Iowa legislature to drop the mandate we have to play ISU every year.

"In 2006, Learfield signed a 10-year, $55 million contract with U of I athletics to sell advertising related to Hawkeye athletic events. Hawkeye athletics receives about $5 million annually from that contract."

University of Iowa athletics weighs new ad links to lottery | desmoinesregister.com | The Des Moines Register

If Iowa can bring in $5.5M per year, I can see why an entire conference gets a lot more. Texas' value is likely $20M+.

Fox is getting a great deal of value out of this, its not like they just magically gave them a lot more money for the same television rights. B12 is not getting the TV revenue that everyone wants to think they are.

Any OBJECTIVE fan could have seen that ISU was getting a raw deal. I mean come on....it wasn't about them when the Texas League was going to the Pac 10, it wasn't about them when the Big 12 decided to stay intact and it isn't ever going to be about them.

There is NO WAY that Texas would have remained in the Big 12 without serious money going their way. Money that would HAVE to suggest other universities (nonentities) were NOT going to get a dime of it so to speak.

In all honestly, ISU would have it better if they would go to Conf. USA or the MWC. Seriously. Now they're just in over their heads with the big dogs.

Sports Business Daily:
Promise Of FSN Extension, ESPN Stability Helps Big 12 Stay Intact

"But sources say FSN has told Big 12 officials that it would increase its annual payout to as much as $130-$140M per year. It currently pays $19.5M per year for the cable TV rights, a deal that ends following the '11-12 season. As part of its proposed deal, FSN has asked to take control of the conference's third-tier rights that are currently controlled by rights holders IMG, ISP and Learfield, sources said. These rights include radio, local media, third-tier TV rights, corporate sponsorships, and in-stadium and arena signage."

I'm sorry, even with all those rights, I don't see how you could go from $19.5 mil to $130-140 mil.

Maybe FOX is looking to start printing money too?

But hell, even if it did go up that much, what is there to say that ISU and the other 4 who just signed away the exit fees will see a dime more than what they're getting now? That it won't all go to Texas and Oklahoma?

Because if Texas could get them to sign away those exit fees now, they can certainly get them to do it again with a new TV deal.

By this time the Longhorn network will be up and running and after what Texas pulled to keep the conference together they will still get the lion's share of this and it won't be split equally anyway, hell by this time the Big 12 might be done if Texas is making enough from their own network that they don't need the Big 12 anymore.

Latest posts