ISU Making it look easy

Not a lot to complain about with run defense. Not a lot to complain about in pass protection other than DJ Johnson, who is still young.

Despite making two huge mistakes I thought DJ Johnson played pretty well. He didn’t let those mistakes get in his head. He will probably be back to the bench once all those guys come back, but I saw a lot of positives from him, he can play big boy football.

ISU

91 rushing yds

124 of 327 passing yds on two broken plays

Purdy fumble recovery vs. UNI saves the game.
Purdy lost fumble vs Iowa loses the game.

Despite making two huge mistakes I thought DJ Johnson played pretty well. He didn’t let those mistakes get in his head. He will probably be back to the bench once all those guys come back, but I saw a lot of positives from him, he can play big boy football.
He made a couple plays in the 4Q, got lucky on another, and, oh, by the way .... didn’t he have Iowa’s only sack of the game?

Let's face it, 14 of the 17 points were on two plays. Those can be cleaned up with more experienced corners getting in the game. I honestly think Phil was in survival mode last night. Let's get through this game kind of thinking. There were a couple of things that just bothered me about what the defense did. Here are three:

1) Soft corner play...I get the fact that you are playing a freshman corner and you need to protect him to a certain extent because it was clear ISU had prepared for him starting. They attacked him whenever they could. That still doesn't explain OJ playing soft in certain situations. There was a throw that Purdy made that was from the opposite hash and I swear it took 4 seconds to get there...when the ball arrives, OJ is still four yards off his guy. After the two big plays, maybe Phil said, keep everything in front of you. Strange.

2) Pass Rush - That was a good offensive line last night on the ISU side...they made alot of progress from last year's game...fundamentally sound and they have definitely taken a step forward. AJ was doubled most of the game...but where were the other three guys? This is a concern right now. ISU just gave you the template...don't let Epenesa beat you. Phil was rotating guys in the middle, but not on the edges for the third game in a row (or not enough anyway). You have to keep Golston an AJE fresh.

3) CASH Defense - We need the CASH defense in this type of game. I get it...with all the injuries, we didn't have the bodies to go to 5 defensive backs and two linebackers. This killed us. Welsh and Colbert struggled with pass coverage last night...their TE was wide open all night. I think if we were healthy...we would have been in CASH most of the game.

A win is a win is a win. Take it and run. I honestly don't think it's fair that a team get's an extra week to prepare for a rivalry game, especially early in the season like this. It's a huge advantage...especially since we had a B10 game prior to this. Listen, if Campbell can't beat KF with these circumstances, Iowa's injuries, bye week prep, hype of Game Day, and home crowd. He may never beat KF before he takes a big time program somewhere else.

Let's face it, 14 of the 17 points were on two plays. Those can be cleaned up with more experienced corners getting in the game. I honestly think Phil was in survival mode last night. Let's get through this game kind of thinking. There were a couple of things that just bothered me about what the defense did. Here are three:

1) Soft corner play...I get the fact that you are playing a freshman corner and you need to protect him to a certain extent because it was clear ISU had prepared for him starting. They attacked him whenever they could. That still doesn't explain OJ playing soft in certain situations. There was a throw that Purdy made that was from the opposite hash and I swear it took 4 seconds to get there...when the ball arrives, OJ is still four yards off his guy. After the two big plays, maybe Phil said, keep everything in front of you. Strange.

2) Pass Rush - That was a good offensive line last night on the ISU side...they made alot of progress from last year's game...fundamentally sound and they have definitely taken a step forward. AJ was doubled most of the game...but where were the other three guys? This is a concern right now. ISU just gave you the template...don't let Epenesa beat you. Phil was rotating guys in the middle, but not on the edges for the third game in a row (or not enough anyway). You have to keep Golston an AJE fresh.

3) CASH Defense - We need the CASH defense in this type of game. I get it...with all the injuries, we didn't have the bodies to go to 5 defensive backs and two linebackers. This killed us. Welsh and Colbert struggled with pass coverage last night...their TE was wide open all night. I think if we were healthy...we would have been in CASH most of the game.

A win is a win is a win. Take it and run. I honestly don't think it's fair that a team get's an extra week to prepare for a rivalry game, especially early in the season like this. It's a huge advantage...especially since we had a B10 game prior to this. Listen, if Campbell can't beat KF with these circumstances, Iowa's injuries, bye week prep, hype of Game Day, and home crowd. He may never beat KF before he takes a big time program somewhere else.
AJ wasn’t doubled most of the game. Football is a game of schemes, not individual matchups. Isu ran out of the gun, threw usually within 2 seconds...same thing as Miami),but also with a threat of both a qb and RB running...thus slowing down any rush. It won’t be the last time we see this. With the db injuries isu smartly neutralized the pass. On the rare occasions the had long distance downs, pressure was adequate and very good on 3rd downs

Latest posts