ISU Feels Like A FCS Opponent To Me.

MelroseHawkins

To me, the ISU game usually feels like going up against an in-state FCS opponent, similar to UNI. ISU historically has had very little success and with a goal of knocking off a legit P5 conference team. Not saying this to slam ISU as I will root for them when watching them other games, but it just dawned on me what feelings are for this game. ISU and their fans really get up for this game, moreso than Iowa and the majority of its fan base, IMO. I don't really view it as a hot rival but a lesser team trying to take down a team that has had more success.

OK, I'll take the bait. I'm 100% for Iowa and would really enjoy beating Iowa State this Saturday. Seriously, though, haven't they beaten Iowa 9 times since Ferentz became coach? This is going to be a very tough game for Iowa, as it always is. An FCS opponent? Really? I can't take this post seriously. Iowa better respect Iowa State and prepare accordingly, or they will lose this game.

OK, I'll take the bait. I'm 100% for Iowa and would really enjoy beating Iowa State this Saturday. Seriously, though, haven't they beaten Iowa 9 times since Ferentz became coach? This is going to be a very tough game for Iowa, as it always is. An FCS opponent? Really? I can't take this post seriously. Iowa better respect Iowa State and prepare accordingly, or they will lose this game.
I've seen Iowa lose too many times as a double digit favorite to be comfortable with this game.

Yup, we've said things like this before regarding ISU... And then lose to them. I never rest easy until this game is behind us and in the W column.

I'm not saying Iowa hasn't had some bad teams or bad games against them. I'm saying to me it's on the same level as playing a UNI that is going to get up for the game and bring their best stuff, fans as well. UNI can step up and play with the big boys. I'm not disrespecting the blue blood FCS programs, but the hype of this annual game for me is on the same level as playing a top FCS team.

According to Sagarin, there are 4 FCS teams better than ISU. Not unreasonable.

That's pretty typical for FCS having 4-5 blue bloods that would be better on a P5's schedule than the Kansas and Vanderbilts. Below that doesn't help much, though.

Before getting too confident, ISU played a former 4 star quarterback that had OK State not had a Freshman starter transfer to Illinois would have been playing in the Big Ten. No one has ever doubted Bailey's athleticism which was on display in Ames. In 2014 he was 9 for 16 and a TD at Ohio State. I doubt the tornado siren intimidated him. He rushed 12 times for 75 yards against Big Ten teams.

Just saying, this might not be so easy.

Before getting too confident, ISU played a former 4 star quarterback that had OK State not had a Freshman starter transfer to Illinois would have been playing in the Big Ten. No one has ever doubted Bailey's athleticism which was on display in Ames. In 2014 he was 9 for 16 and a TD at Ohio State. I doubt the tornado siren intimidated him. He rushed 12 times for 75 yards against Big Ten teams.

Just saying, this might not be so easy.

Yeah but still...

They remembered Iowa's FCS opponent, but are they forgetting someone (other than Miami)? From the Star Tribune in Minnesota:

Iowa’s schedule sets up well again. The Hawkeyes drew five of their toughest opponents at home — North Dakota State, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Michigan and Nebraska.

I have a strong feeling all this worry is unfounded. Maybe the Clones will make it look like they're in the game for a quarter or two, if that. Iowa will score first and will finish the game with a double digit lead to beat the Cyclones at Kinnick for the first time since 2010.

Latest posts