ISU #4 in Preseason Polls?

iowalaw

Banned
Damn! We've got our work cut out for us. Say what you will about "transfer U," but Freddie is doing something that no coach in history at Iowa has done. He's created a year in and year out top 10-15 team. I would love to see Frannie get us into the top 10 within the next couple of years. If UNI could do it last year, the guys we have coming back next year can do it.

I hate the new format on my phone. From the what's new forum i can't tell if a thread is basketball or football. I had to click on it to see.

Damn! We've got our work cut out for us. Say what you will about "transfer U," but Freddie is doing something that no coach in history at Iowa has done. He's created a year in and year out top 10-15 team. I would love to see Frannie get us into the top 10 within the next couple of years. If UNI could do it last year, the guys we have coming back next year can do it.

I think you are reading it wrong. ISU was the fourth team knocked out of the NCAA tournament this year. :p

Say what you will about "transfer U," but Freddie is doing something that no coach in history at Iowa has done. He's created a year in and year out top 10-15 team.

2011 - No NCAA
2012 - Top 32 team...won 1 game
2013 - Top 32 team
2014 - Top 16 team
2015 - Top 64 team

Polls are fun. I enjoy them as much as anyone. But top 10-15 teams year in and year out have better NCAA results than the above IMO...Elite 8 and Sweet 16 year in and year out.

2015 UNI - Top 32 team

And the logic of rating the team based on their performance in one game is what? Because Iowa State, a top 10 team last year, lost in the first round by a point makes them a top 64 team instead of a top 10 team? That takes away their big 12 title or all of their wins against ranked opponents?

And the logic of rating the team based on their performance in one game is what? Because Iowa State, a top 10 team last year, lost in the first round by a point makes them a top 64 team instead of a top 10 team? That takes away their big 12 title or all of their wins against ranked opponents?

Good question.

on a related note, would you consider kentucky to be the ncaa champion, since they won the regular season? Or are you ok with the established procedure where a single-elimination tournament determines the champion?

Or, ask any iowa fan if the lost to Northwestern State took away the 25 win season, conference tournament title (or, to hear you tell it, BIG TEN CHAMPIONSHIP) and other big wins.

It did. That's what it does. Because the tournament matters. that's why it's called THE tournament.

trying too hard, again.

Yes, actually it does take away what they accomplished in the regular season. As one person said, it is the same thing what happened to Iowa the year they lost to NW State. None of the schools in the state of Iowa are yet an elite team, ISU has been fortunate enough to reach the NCAA Tournament the most but they have not done anything with it. Rankings, conference championships, or the regular season don't matter much when at the end of the day a team like Duke is crowned the champion even though other teams had better records. Success is measured by 1 reaching the NCAA tournament and 2 what you do *IN* the tournament.

Doesn't take any of those things away for me. Doesn't mean the season is a resounding success but only an idiot would think that ISU wasn't one of the top 25 teams in the country this year.

Doesn't take any of those things away for me. Doesn't mean the season is a resounding success but only an idiot would think that ISU wasn't one of the top 25 teams in the country this year.

Been there and done that, I was saying the same thing after the 2006 season. But now looking back on it all I remember was that NWST player draining that shot to beat Iowa in the NCAA Tournament. But I understand where you are coming from.

Agree that, on some level, you can honestly say you enjoyed the season (lot of high points) ... also agree that ISU was top 25 this year (and should have had a finish to support that). But, the early exit really does mean the exact opposite of the bolded.

Since you're pretty level-headed about wins, I accept that you can do the same with losses. And that's a good thing right now.

most of my inlaws are clown fans. they say niang better get hit head out of his arse next year or there wont be bigger and better things.

I'm so confused. I thought Kansas won the Big 12?

The team will only go as far as Morris carries them, he is the key to that team. I still don't know how far they can go, as just like the rest of the Big12, defense is optional. Maybe some year the Big12 won't flame out in the NCAA, but I don't think that will be next year.

The poll is about next year. ISU will be very good, barring some crazy off the court stuff/injuries. Not sure about top 5, but it's not a reach to think they'll be a top 10 team next year.

As far as this year's ISU team, they were also good, but in more of a top 15/20 type way. They had a great season, and any ISU fan that didn't enjoy it just because they bombed out of the tourney deserves to be knocked in the head by a 2x4.

The poll is about next year. ISU will be very good, barring some crazy off the court stuff/injuries. Not sure about top 5, but it's not a reach to think they'll be a top 10 team next year.

As far as this year's ISU team, they were also good, but in more of a top 15/20 type way. They had a great season, and any ISU fan that didn't enjoy it just because they bombed out of the tourney deserves to be knocked in the head by a 2x4.

You could have left out the "that didn't enjoy it just because they bombed out of the tourney " part.

Iowa State was a better team than us.

We finished better than them in the competition that crowns the champion. I like that option better.

Latest posts