ISU - 31 plays for 65 yards and 4 first downs

I tend to agree that they don't have vastly inferior talent. They have really upgraded their defense with their-- what 9 -- juco players on defense. They are usually decent on offense. It has been their terrible defense that has made them a terrible team for years. They have a shot at a decent season given how bad the big 12 looks this year.

and this will be paw's demise, if he lasts thru this year - when you start filling holes - in a massive way - via the juco ranks - the ship is sinking fast. it just leaves massive holes in the ranks in subsequent years -

Who would start on Iowa's team? The WR's, but everyone has pretty much said that. Campos would probably start, maybe Cotten Moya (or however you spell that). I can't really think of anyone else who would be starting over an Iowa starter. Tucker on the DL? I doubt it. Pierson, once again I kind of doubt it, but maybe there. Nothing else though, not a RB, not any other OL or DL, no LB, no TE. So basically the WR, 1 OL, and 1 secondary player. That is inferior talent.

People have warped thoughts because ISU is really talented in the one place where we desperately need it. They also have warped thoughts because the game that's most fresh in their minds is the one where they play way above their talent level every year.

Their linebackers are good. Receivers are good. Tucker and Pierson are good. D backs are good. Bigger than us on the o line (not better but good size). I didn't say they had superior talent, I said they were not inferior. I think in some places we are better and some places they are. It's not the old days where we were better pretty much everywhere. The gap is much closer these days whether we want to admit it or not. It's a rivalry

and this will be paw's demise, if he lasts thru this year - when you start filling holes - in a massive way - via the juco ranks - the ship is sinking fast. it just leaves massive holes in the ranks in subsequent years -

It has worked well adding guys in some spots for Snyder. What would you do in Paul Rhoade's case? They are much better and will probably have some of those guys next year. This also gives them depth.

Though, to your point, it is a massive influx of guys. I think it really shows how deficient ISU was on the defensive side of the ball.

Their linebackers are good. Receivers are good. Tucker and Pierson are good. D backs are good. Bigger than us on the o line (not better but good size). I didn't say they had superior talent, I said they were not inferior. I think in some places we are better and some places they are. It's not the old days where we were better pretty much everywhere. The gap is much closer these days whether we want to admit it or not. It's a rivalry
Its a rivalry, they play Iowa tough every year, and that is why they hang with us, because it is a rivalry. ISU won 5 games the last two years, and that tells you how much talent they have. They lost to both Kansas and Tech last year. They have lost to 2 of the last 3 FCS teams they played. They are not that talented. Iowa fans who don't watch them play much have a warped sense that they are good, but really the Iowa game is usually their best played game year in and year out. They are improved this year, but so is Iowa. Iowa was more talented than them last year, but lost to them. Iowa is more talented this year and beat them. Rivalry game winners rarely come down to just pure talent, that is why they are rivalries.

I'm critical of this staff, but lets give credit where it is due as well.....the staff made great 2nd half adjustments, and they dominated the game in the 2nd half, even down arguably their best player in Ott.
According to Kirk, the 2nd half had more to do with the players "getting a feel" than halftime adjustments. Somebody tweeted that somewhere....

And wasn't Beathard 5-15 at one point? Finished 15-25 with 3 TDs

Got to say, 45 rushes to 25 passes is not exactly balanced. With his arm we need to throw it about 10 more times a game, and those throws need to come off PA bootleg to give him a run/throw option on 1st and second down.

Latest posts