ISM - Kick Return ?

NikeHawk21

Has anybody noticed that ISM seems pretty hesitant to take back kicks this year?

To me it almost feels like he’s worried about getting hit and wants to focus on his WR spot.

End of the 1H against Purdue was a perfect example. Like 40 seconds left should be an opportunity to see if you can pop a big one and set up a field goal. Short kick and he fair catches it. That was odd.

We clearly don’t have a big play offense, so it would be nice to generate big plays elsewhere.

That kickoff you reference against Purdue was a line drive too. He gave a very late signal, so I wonder how much of it was his own internal struggle vs. something that he was coached to do.

That kickoff you reference against Purdue was a line drive too. He gave a very late signal, so I wonder how much of it was his own internal struggle vs. something that he was coached to do.
Yup. In my head I was thinking chance for a big return here and he signals that.

He had a big one against Michigan that set us up in great field position. Just doesn’t seem as interested in it this year, been a lot of fair catches and touchbacks.

Of course we haven’t allowed a ton of points this year so the opportunities have been down, I just think he could potentially spark us. Hopefully he saves a big one for Madison.

Has anybody noticed that ISM seems pretty hesitant to take back kicks this year?

To me it almost feels like he’s worried about getting hit and wants to focus on his WR spot.

End of the 1H against Purdue was a perfect example. Like 40 seconds left should be an opportunity to see if you can pop a big one and set up a field goal. Short kick and he fair catches it. That was odd.

We clearly don’t have a big play offense, so it would be nice to generate big plays elsewhere.

This one surprised and stuck out to me. I agree. Take a chance to get good field position and a chance to score. Not sure if the fair catch came from the sidelines. It would be like a Ferentz to not want to take a chance at a turnover at your end of the field. You have one of the best KO returners. Let him see if he can rip off 40 or so yrds.

KF seems like the type of guy who just does the opposite of what you should do. Just overthinks at times. Trust the players and let them free.

Yea, there was nobody withing 25 yrds of him. Maybe ISM looked up prior to catching and saw a sea of gold with shiny helmets coming at him and said screw it this ain't going anywhere. Don't know.

Kirk talked about this postgame or at the Tuesday presser. KF said there was a miscommunication and that ISM was told not to return this kickoff. Dolph and Eddie said on the radio during gametime that ISM looked mad that he couldnt return it. Somehow probably the special teams coach said dont return it to save some time then Kirk just ran out the clock. Sounded like Kirk wanted a runback if possible.

Kirk talked about this postgame or at the Tuesday presser. KF said there was a miscommunication and that ISM was told not to return this kickoff. Dolph and Eddie said on the radio during gametime that ISM looked mad that he couldnt return it. Somehow probably the special teams coach said dont return it to save some time then Kirk just ran out the clock. Sounded like Kirk wanted a runback if possible.
I didn’t hear that.

Nonetheless it seems like he’s just not as interested in taking some of them out this year from my view.

If true, this proves even the coaches are afraid of going against the conservative play calling, which IMO, will all goes back to Ferentz. The coaches coach timid and that comes from the top. With 40 seconds left, the best odds were ISM running it back. That's better than trying to throw towards the sidelines using a quarter of the field against a prevent defense.

If true, this proves even the coaches are afraid of going against the conservative play calling, which IMO, will all goes back to Ferentz. The coaches coach timid and that comes from the top. With 40 seconds left, the best odds were ISM running it back. That's better than trying to throw towards the sidelines using a quarter of the field against a prevent defense.

I so see some teams who do not want to waste precious seconds with the return if they have about a minute to go and some timeouts. I can understand that.

As far as throwing towards the sideline that is sort of what Kirk's lack of a 2 minute drill offense does although I would say that the last few years even with Greg Davis they were better at the 2 minute offense.

But with 3 timeouts the best place to attack is 20 + yards down the middle. I see teams with smart OC's send 4 receivers out or even 5 and a few are toward the sideline but one or two will cut over the middle. Catch a 20 or so yarder and you are at about mid-field. Take timeout. Hit another over the middle to about the 30-35 yardline and take another timeout.

Now you can also work the sideline for 6-12 yards. get to the 20 and take a couple shots in the endzone. No TD kick the FG.

I don't think his blocking has been as good.

I also think teams are scheming to limit the damage he can do back there, as good as he's been.
There is no special scheming you can do against any returner . You seal the edges and try to maintain lane responsibly.

There is no special scheming you can do against any returner . You seal the edges and try to maintain lane responsibly.
There's plenty you can do. First of all, is don't kick it to him, or kick it deep/high enough that your coverage will be there by the time he gets the ball. You can have guys cross on the run-up to the kick to confuse the KOR team, you can add an extra rusher in lieu of having 2 safeties, etc.

His opportunities have been limited this year. Kirk did say he wanted ISM to return it late vs Purdue.
I would like to see ISM return punts. Talk about a guy that punt teams would not like having to cover.
Not sure why he isn't, trust, ball control, decisions, fatigue? I don't know, but he is the biggest threat they could put out there.

Across all of college football, it seems to my eyes that the average kickoff return yields field position worse than the 25 yard line. That's what's in my head just about every time I see a kickoff. More often than not, it seems like the returner gets tackled at the 18.

Latest posts