Isaiah Moss?

Moss was behind the 8-ball arriving late and never had a chance to learn the system. He is the type of slasher/ scorer that we really haven't had during Fran's time, which is what makes him very intriguing as a prospect.

Hutton is a defensive minded wing with a legit Big 10 body. He can really benefit from the extra year to develop his offensive game.

One positive for Dale Jones is that I don't think his game was overly predicated on athleticism. He's long and a good shooter, you can always find minutes for guys like that.

Pencil Dale Jones in as a starter at the 4. Pemsl and Kreiner to redshirt.

I agree on Pemsl. I think Kreiner could play his way out of a RS if it looks like he can give us quality minutes at the 5. But a Kreiner RS is certainly not out of the question. Guys are going to be going at it in the preseason practices...lots of playing time up for grabs.

I just don't see it. He will be what 9 or 10 Months removed from his second ACL surgery when practice starts? Last time he took a full red shirt year between the injury and playing again, so I don't see him being 100% and starting next year.

I think it's a possibility. But there are a ton of possibilities. Jok is going to start. I don't think anyone else is guaranteed anything. My uneducated guess is...

Williams
Jok
Uhl
Wagner
Cook
Who else can even play point guard?

I think it's a possibility. But there are a ton of possibilities. Jok is going to start. I don't think anyone else is guaranteed anything. My uneducated guess is...

Williams
Jok
Uhl
Wagner
Cook

Seems reasonable. There will be a lot of youth and new faces next year, so it could be one of those years where the starting lineup changes more than we're used to, at least until Fran finds a lineup that he likes. A lot of the guys you listed seem like good bets, though.

I don't think it'll be like this year, where there is a group that are clearly our best players.

Last edited:
Who else can even play point guard?

Yeah, seems like Fran is going to have to start Williams pretty much out of necessity, whether he's ready or not. Either that, or we won't have a TRUE point guard in the starting 5, just as long as there's some other players out there who can handle the ball.

Gesell averaged 25 minutes per game as a freshman. Clemmons averaged almost 17. I think Bohannon and Williams will split the minutes at point guard. And if Bohannon is better then he'll start. We all know Williams isn't guaranteed the starting spot just because he's a sophomore.

Gesell averaged 25 minutes per game as a freshman. Clemmons averaged almost 17. I think Bohannon and Williams will split the minutes at point guard. And if Bohannon is better then he'll start. We all know Williams isn't guaranteed the starting spot just because he's a sophomore.

The difference is Gesell is a true PG and when he was a freshman, Devyn Marble was there to run the point when needed -- he was always the safe backup plan when Gesell was not on the court or struggling. I would say Clemmons was as well, but that's not the case because his ball handling skills needed some work and when he was a freshman, he almost exclusively played SG.

To me, Williams is not, or at least has not proven he is, a PG. He seems to be a SG or at best a combo. He has not looked comfortable at all, even in scrub time, running the offense. He almost seems to want to get the ball out of his hands as fast as possible.

And, Bohannon may be the next 'Gesell like' freshman ready to step on the court and run the offense, but he will still be a true freshman and you just have no idea how that transition will go.

Fran obviously doesn't seem worried as he is using all his recruiting tools to land another big man when to me, PG is a glaring need.

Pemsl is such a polished player, good shot selection, good defense, shoots incredible high percentage. Would not rule him out as a player getting significant playing time he is an athletic 6'9.

Williams
Jok
Uhl
Wagner
Cook

I think for ball movement, outside shooting, ball handling and offensive fluidity, you have to have Baer in there. I just do not see to many lineups that have enough overall ball control skills to handle Fran's motion offense the way he wants to, without Baer.

Fran is going to be spoiled in the spacing and ball handling department from here on out. This team has set the bar! And it is frickin high. We are going to need guys that can dribble, pass and know their positioning. And have some shooters. That's how to spread the floor. Baer has all those skills in one guy. Plus good defense.

Others bring their own tangibles, but you have to keep the ball moving, and moving well to run this system.

Pemsl is such a polished player, good shot selection, good defense, shoots incredible high percentage. Would not rule him out as a player getting significant playing time he is an athletic 6'9.

I also think he's good. But he's behind Uhl, Wagner, Baer, Jones and most likely Cook. Uhl and Wagner aren't going to red shirt. Baer has used his red shirt. Jones has used his red shirt(s) due to injury. Since Cook will almost certainly play Pemsl as a red shirt makes sense IMO. It's burn a year for Olesani type minutes. Or save a year and be better prepared like Baer as a red shirt freshman...makes even more sense if Jones isn't granted a medical red shirt and is gone after next year.

Williams
Jok
Uhl
Wagner
Cook

This is what I think also. I also think the same way Gessell and Clemmons are used this year will be how Williams and Jok will be used next year. Jok will be used to help break in Williams at the point. They will be "sharing" PG duties at least to start the season.

I think it will be ( 1 thru 5): Williams, Jok, Jones, Wagner and Uhl. Lots of size and shooting and Wagner brings the ferocity on the boards.

I would REALLY like to see the 2nd unit come in, like a line switch in hockey, and run the full-court press. These guys may not be tall, but athletic as heck: Fleming, Moss, Hutton, Baer and Cook. Fran has referenced that Fleming could be a back-up PG if needed. I think Ellingson transfers and Bohannon, Pemsl and Kreiner all Redshirt.

Zero inside on Ellingson leaving... just seems like he may be left out since he can't hit the open 3s. Really hope he proves me wrong.

This is what I think also. I also think the same way Gessell and Clemmons are used this year will be how Williams and Jok will be used next year. Jok will be used to help break in Williams at the point. They will be "sharing" PG duties at least to start the season.

Uhl is a better ball handler than Jok. I could see him taking pressure off before PJ. Really need some of the young guys to take significant steps though