Is Tim Lester the Right Guy? Maybe. Maybe Not

This story was mostly a history of how the old OC KOK, Davis and BF were treated. I did not see one sentence about why or why not Tim Lester was the right guy. Maybe you should change the title of the thread.

Exactly. For everyone on this Board who just wants to spew Iowa hate, the truth is that we won't know if this was a good, bad, or relatively neutral hire until at least half way through the season next year, and even then, it may not be clear.

What I know is that the guy has the bona fides for this position. He was a QB and has coached QBs his entire career. He has called plays for multiple seasons and at several posts. He has had a cup of coffee in the Big10 already. He recruits and knows the footprint. A lot of boxes checked there.

Are there negatives and could there have been a splashier hire? Sure. But, given the constraints of the position from the Boss, this was about who I thought we would get. As the saying goes, give the guy a chance to not suck before you decide you hate him.

I hope that he can recruit or hope that recruits will give him and Iowa a chance. Let's face it, much of the issue comes down to recruiting the skill positions on offense that Iowa has lacked for most of the Ferentz era, or at least the last several years.

If they can get some legit players in there and fix that line, than that offense with that style is going to get much better.

I hope that he can recruit or hope that recruits will give him and Iowa a chance. Let's face it, much of the issue comes down to recruiting the skill positions on offense that Iowa has lacked for most of the Ferentz era, or at least the last several years.

If they can get some legit players in there and fix that line, than that offense with that style is going to get much better.
Right now Iowa has the highest rated WR recruit in school history on the roster along with a decent transfer, a potential All American TE, and a good and diverse group of RBs. Now add in the school's highest rated OT recruit who's coming off of a year starting in the SEC. That's a lot to work with IMHO.

Right now Iowa has the highest rated WR recruit in school history on the roster along with a decent transfer, a potential All American TE, and a good and diverse group of RBs. Now add in the school's highest rated OT recruit who's coming off of a year starting in the SEC. That's a lot to work with IMHO.
Who is the WR recruit you speak of.

Exactly. For everyone on this Board who just wants to spew Iowa hate, the truth is that we won't know if this was a good, bad, or relatively neutral hire until at least half way through the season next year, and even then, it may not be clear.

What I know is that the guy has the bona fides for this position. He was a QB and has coached QBs his entire career. He has called plays for multiple seasons and at several posts. He has had a cup of coffee in the Big10 already. He recruits and knows the footprint. A lot of boxes checked there.

Are there negatives and could there have been a splashier hire? Sure. But, given the constraints of the position from the Boss, this was about who I thought we would get. As the saying goes, give the guy a chance to not suck before you decide you hate him.
Agree, and I would emphasize this. It takes time to judge new coaches, especially head coaches and coordinators. The players have to adapt to a new system with new terminology, and it takes time to assemble a roster with players that fit said system. Unless something dramatic happens, I wouldn't throw in the towel on Lester for at least two full seasons, though I think it's reasonable to expect at least increments in improvement here and there.

Now, that said, I can still easily visualize disgusted Hawkeye fans screaming and throwing beer mugs at the TV after the first 3 and out next season....

Agree, and I would emphasize this. It takes time to judge new coaches, especially head coaches and coordinators. The players have to adapt to a new system with new terminology, and it takes time to assemble a roster with players that fit said system. Unless something dramatic happens, I wouldn't throw in the towel on Lester for at least two full seasons, though I think it's reasonable to expect at least increments in improvement here and there.

Now, that said, I can still easily visualize disgusted Hawkeye fans screaming and throwing beer mugs at the TV after the first 3 and out next season....
I don't think it will take that long. KF does not have that long. At his age, and with the wolves at the gate, there is going to be a damn short honeymoon for KF's hiring of Lester. That said, the expectations are so damn low, and with the amount of returning players, it is not hard at all to believe that the offense will be better. They literally cannot get a whole lot worse. But, if the stat line is:

20 points (by the offense)
140 yards rushing
170 yards passing
One turnover or less per game
50% or better time of possession

Lester will be praised as a genius. Um, those numbers aint exactly great, but they are an improvement. Anything beyond that and we can start discussing when he takes over as HC!

Did Lester happen to be the QB when Western Michiggan upset the Hawks in Iowa City some years ago?

Latest posts