Is This Week's Game A No-Win Situation?

I'm really trying not to be Debbie Downer after last week's loss. I think it was a good measuring stick for this team. I'm not sure I feel that way about this week's match-up. Its against an FCS team that hasn't had a winning season in at least 3 years. SWMS is not even close to the level of UNI.

My point is even when we win does it mean anything? Sure we break our losing streak of seven games but is it really a confidence booster? I'm not sure what it would take for me to consider this Saturday's game a success. Just winning doesn't seem like enough against this level of an opponent. It needs to be complete domination.

I don't even want to think about losing this game. A loss against an inferior FCS team may leave Iowa City looking more abandoned that Chernobyl.

Bottom line: Even if Iowa wins this week I'm not sure it gains anything.

The Cyclown game isn't until 9/14

As long as it gets us off of this list:

Southern Miss - 13
New Mexico St - 12
Kansas - 11
Akron -11
Colorado - 8
South Alabama - 7
Iowa - 7
Idaho - 7

It's a win for me.

I pretty much look at it this way: If Iowa wins this game comfortably, we probably will not learn much from this one, but it's a good game for a tune up and work out kinks, as others have said. Which is not really a bad thing.

However if Iowa struggles in this game, then I'd say it's not a good omen. If Iowa loses.. Well, I'm not going to even go there.

Southern Miss - 13
New Mexico St - 12
Kansas - 11
Akron -11
Colorado - 8
South Alabama - 7
Iowa - 7
Idaho - 7

It's a win for me.

It's gotten so bad for Southern Miss, that they no longer want to plagiarize the Tiger Hawk. Hey-o!

Southern Miss - 13
New Mexico St - 12
Kansas - 11
Akron -11
Colorado - 8
South Alabama - 7
Iowa - 7
Idaho - 7

It's a win for me.

And actually Colorado won on Sunday after I first posted that, so hey we're even higher on that list!

I'm really trying not to be Debbie Downer after last week's loss. I think it was a good measuring stick for this team. I'm not sure I feel that way about this week's match-up. Its against an FCS team that hasn't had a winning season in at least 3 years. SWMS is not even close to the level of UNI.

My point is even when we win does it mean anything? Sure we break our losing streak of seven games but is it really a confidence booster? I'm not sure what it would take for me to consider this Saturday's game a success. Just winning doesn't seem like enough against this level of an opponent. It needs to be complete domination.

I don't even want to think about losing this game. A loss against an inferior FCS team may leave Iowa City looking more abandoned that Chernobyl.

Bottom line: Even if Iowa wins this week I'm not sure it gains anything.

just go sit in the creek.

Or in the scene below, after listening to the guy tell about all his misery, the guy pours gas all overhimself.
airplane1.jpg

Or in the scene below, after listening to the guy tell about all his misery, Japaneese solier commits hari cari

airplane_the_movie-25482.jpg

That's what I'm not sure about. If I'm a 250lbs heavyweight fighter and I beat up on a 110lb light weight do I really feel better about my abilities. It makes for good practice, but I can't say it would give me more confidence the next time I'm in the ring with a more equal opponent.[/QUOTE

Depends, Is is Royce Gracie in his prime?

I absolutely agree. But if we squeak out a 7 point victory, will it really be seen as a win or will it serve as more fodder for the message boards (of course people will always find something to gripe about)?

Of course not. But that's not what you said in the OP. If we go out and win by 40 or 50, that'll be good for the team's confidence and it'll keep the message boards tame, if for no other reason than we're treading water instead of sinking even lower.

This week is all about working to get guys more in sync. The passing game should benefit by having the chance to get on the same page with each other, and that's something that will help Rudock tremendously.

In years past I would have agreed that this is a no-win situation, especially when we play UNI

However, at this point we'll take what we can get ... sad but true, we need the W

I pretty much look at it this way: If Iowa wins this game comfortably, we probably will not learn much from this one, but it's a good game for a tune up and work out kinks, as others have said. Which is not really a bad thing.

However if Iowa struggles in this game, then I'd say it's not a good omen. If Iowa loses.. Well, I'm not going to even go there.

This is exactly my thoughts.

If Iowa loses.. Well, I'm not going to even go there.

If we lose every fan can demand Barta and Kf get off their butts and schedule 3 bcs conference opponents in non-conference games. What is the point of buying wins when you lose them. Not all losses are equal. An FCS loss is far worse then any other possible loss.

All I can say is, in my experience as a player -- Little League, high school, in a D-1 conference, and as a long-time coach at various levels, beating a weak team meant squat. I hated to play or coach against a team that I knew had no business on the same field with us. Michigan plays Notre Dame Saturday night. Iowa plays Missouri State. If I'm an Iowa player or coach, I see no way I can take any joy, any solace of any kind, from whatever success may come against such a vastly out-manned team as Missouri State. Frankly, a game-like intrasquad scrimmage would mean more....but Barta wouldn't be able to collect $60 a ticket... No, try to spin it any way you wish, but as an Iowa player, I wouldn't feel like I had accomplished anything no matter what happens on Saturday. But then, I do have some pride. I don't know how much of that there is in Iowa's football program right now.

If I were Ferentz, I'd be a rich man... Oh, sorry, got sidetracked. If I were Ferentz, I'd refuse to count this in the won-loss record. It would be an exhibition only, like when the Iowa basketball team plays Augustana in November. We know our head coach is a man of great character, so this would seem the right thing to do. In fact, some might say to count this game would be something a bully might do.

The "W," if Iowa can manage it, will mean less than nothing to any fair-minded human being. Or do you think Indiana's 73 points against hapless Indiana State means something?

Last edited:
No its not. You score 70 on them and blow last years season away in one win. That sounds pretty win win win to me.

All I can say is, in my experience as a player -- Little League, high school, in a D-1 conference, and as a long-time coach at various levels, beating a weak team meant squat. I hated to play or coach against a team that I knew had no business on the same field with us. Michigan plays Notre Dame Saturday night. Iowa plays Missouri State. If I'm an Iowa player or coach, I see no way I can take any joy, any solace of any kind, from whatever success may come against such a vastly out-manned team as Missouri State. Frankly, a game-like intrasquad scrimmage would mean more....but Barta wouldn't be able to collect $60 a ticket... No, try to spin it any way you wish, but as an Iowa player, I wouldn't feel like I had accomplished anything no matter what happens on Saturday. But then, I do have some pride. I don't know how much of that there is in Iowa's football program right now.

If I were Ferentz, I'd be a rich man... Oh, sorry, got sidetracked. If I were Ferentz, I'd refuse to count this in the won-loss record. It would be an exhibition only, like when the Iowa basketball team plays Augustana in November. We know our head coach is a man of great character, so this would seem the right thing to do. In fact, some might say to count this game would be something a bully might do.

The "W," if Iowa can manage it, will mean less than nothing to any fair-minded human being. Or do you think Indiana's 73 points against hapless Indiana State means something?

Indiana barely beat Indiana St 24-17 in 2012. Hanging 73 fairly easy on them this year definitely means something for that program.

Wow. Could not disagree more. Missouri State is playing in a conference that has already defeated Kansas State and Iowa State. They will have plenty of good athletes on their side of the ball. Iowa is playing numerous first year players.

A win would be very meaningful for Iowa's players; and an impressive win would be doubly so.

There are no "lay downs" at this level of football.

Good point by the OP.

Game really has no upside...practicing against your own 2nd string gives you more competition than these guys will.

Iowa's season hangs in the balance against ISU.

And don't worry, once the playoffs come into play (finally!), and SoS means something, these patsy games will quickly go away.

I'm actually optimistic about this season. But I can tell you of a few scenarios that would change my tune in a heartbeat, and lead me to getting banned from kinnick..

1) a loss

2) a game where we are up 24-0, and they make it close enough to where we cannot play our 2nd string, bringing it to 24-20 after the 2nd half.

3). KF getting a 30 pt lead, then not putting in his 2nd stringers. Vandenburg was the worse QB I can remember in my 27 years of being a hawkeye fan. To leave him in for every snap of every game was inexcusable.

I've started this season with a clean slate for the coaching staff, naively thinking maybe they would "listen" to the overbearing critics from all across the nation... But the one thing that brought me down last week (it wasn't the loss, I realize NIU is actually a good team), it was seeing how the coaching put us in the position to lose, instead of win. Which goes directly into the last 11 years with KF.

Latest posts