Is This Week's Game A No-Win Situation?

I absolutely agree. But if we squeak out a 7 point victory, will it really be seen as a win or will it serve as more fodder for the message boards (of course people will always find something to gripe about)?

I don't care if we win 3-2. That 6-4 win in Happy Valley felt just as good as the 34-9 win in Ann Arbor in 2002 or the 33-7 win over the Buckeyes in 2004. A win is a win, buddy. Every streak begins at one and this is the one that starts the next street. Get on the band wagon or get the hell off this board. No room for Negative Nancies in this place, pal.

I've started this season with a clean slate for the coaching staff, naively thinking maybe they would "listen" to the overbearing critics from all across the nation...

They did listen. And instead of executing a punch 'em in the mouth game plan, they tried to get fancy and we saw how that worked out.

All I can say is, in my experience as a player -- Little League, high school, in a D-1 conference, and as a long-time coach at various levels, beating a weak team meant squat. I hated to play or coach against a team that I knew had no business on the same field with us. Michigan plays Notre Dame Saturday night. Iowa plays Missouri State. If I'm an Iowa player or coach, I see no way I can take any joy, any solace of any kind, from whatever success may come against such a vastly out-manned team as Missouri State. Frankly, a game-like intrasquad scrimmage would mean more....but Barta wouldn't be able to collect $60 a ticket... No, try to spin it any way you wish, but as an Iowa player, I wouldn't feel like I had accomplished anything no matter what happens on Saturday. But then, I do have some pride. I don't know how much of that there is in Iowa's football program right now.

If I were Ferentz, I'd be a rich man... Oh, sorry, got sidetracked. If I were Ferentz, I'd refuse to count this in the won-loss record. It would be an exhibition only, like when the Iowa basketball team plays Augustana in November. We know our head coach is a man of great character, so this would seem the right thing to do. In fact, some might say to count this game would be something a bully might do.

The "W," if Iowa can manage it, will mean less than nothing to any fair-minded human being. Or do you think Indiana's 73 points against hapless Indiana State means something?

Wow. I can't even imagine how bad you must have been at sports. A win is a win in an athletes mind and any win feels good. Do you know what happens when someone gets their first win after their team has lost 7 in a row?

Wow. I can't even imagine how bad you must have been at sports. A win is a win in an athletes mind and any win feels good. Do you know what happens when someone gets their first win after their team has lost 7 in a row?

My teams never lost 7 in a row, brah, so I don't.

Get on the band wagon or get the hell off this board. No room for Negative Nancies in this place, pal.

No, not a Negative Nancy. Re-read my OP, it's Debbie Downer.

And we'll have to disagree, but in my opinion, a 6-4 win at Penn State a few days after KF's dad died and a 33-7 victory over a team that was ranked as high as 9th in the 2004 polls is not the same thing as beating a bottom tier Missouri Valley Conference Team.

No. A win is a win and this year we need all we can get, while we can get them.

Nobody wants to hear it, but there's about 5-6 elite programs in this country, and the parity for everyone else is increasing. MAC, SWAC, WAC, CRACKELAC, and all the other "lower tier" conferences and programs have closed the gap on the power conferences, and the middle to lower tier teams in the power conferences are more regularly be pushed to the end by teams they used to beat by 30+ and have backups playing by the 3rd quarter.

It's cyclical, but the Parity will increase except for a cycling few elite programs.

Latest posts