Is this the quietest it's been before a season?

DBAHawkFan

There seems to be very little excitement, minus the HawkNick posts/threads. I remember after the 2012 season things were bad, but it seemed like there was more optimism than this year.

Guess there's just so many unknowns, and the one known factor is our schemes and game day coaching being frustrating. We don't have the talent to overcome that (like 2009), so we can be anywhere from a 5 win team, to a 9 win with the schedule we have.

I'm a bit nervous about the first game. We typically come out extremely flat, nervous, etc....and we're going to be playing a very solid FCS school....which normally shouldn't bother any Div1 school 9 times out of 10 (there's always an upset once and a while)....but why does it feel like we're almost a underdog, at home...to a lower level school?

My thought is there's just too many connections with this team. Roberson (that's a great last name ;) ), has played in Kinnick and did OK as a true freshman. He's a dangerous player. They have CJB's uncle (or some family member) as their OC, so you have to think he'll know very well what Iowa does on defense. And on defense they have Spearman, who can obviously share some of the schemes Iowa does on both sides of the ball.

Anyway, off of that rant.....Just seems to be very little in info, excitement....threads

giphy.gif

This is about as excited as I get regarding Iowa football at this time of year...........Now wait for a few more weeks and you'll see a completely different me......:p

giphy.gif

This is about as excited as I get regarding Iowa football at this time of year...........Now wait for a few more weeks and you'll see a completely different me......:p

Well, this is the first time I've bounced back to HN in months because is was getting so acidic and unbearable. Plenty of chatter, and do I dare say excitement in other forums. But, you're right, this place is dead. Perhaps the fanatical fringe lost their energy while also shooing away all others. Anyway. Go Hawks.

Look at it this way........."Win the crowd and you shall one day have your freedom."

hqdefault.jpg

Like Jon has said in his podcasts, the "trust bank is just not there right now." They have to win the crowd back before fans start believing again. They could start doing that if they can actually start unbeaten in the out-conference portion of the schedule for a change. Don't come out like the guy ******* down his leg before going into the arena in the movie.

-Big Ten teams really should never lose to the UNI's of the world on their own turf. I don't care how good of a sub division team they are. Take care of the first ISU.
-Iowa should not be losing to the clowns as frequently as they have. One of the worse division one programs there is out there.
-A night game against Pitt at Kinnick. This is not Alabama coming in here.
-North Texas should be a reserves play at the start of the 3rd quarter despite Daddy Mac coming back to Kinnick.

That said, we will find a way to lose one of these at the very least. Likely within the first 2 games.

Last edited:
Yes it has but that's not all bad. Let's give this team some time to jell and hopefully they will win the fans back that have nothing good to say. I realize we have a lot of questions at a lot of different positions hopefully the team comes together and we have a good season. I guess I'm just a optimistic kind of guy and want the team to show everyone that we can get back to the top.Go Hawks

looking back to my mindset after 2012 before 2013, the thinking was that Iowa had bottomed out in 2012 and 2013 was going to be a bounce back year, a lot of 6-6 predictions for 2013. Then 2014 was going to be the big test, but many were predicting Iowa would be back to 8-4 by 2014. So there was reason to believe Iowa was gradually going to get better. Instead Iowa surprised with 8-4 in 2013 many fans were expecting 9-3 or 10-2 in 2014. Then they had that dud at the end of 2014 and there is no hope anymore Iowa will get back to elite status. There just is not that hope that Iowa has a 10-2 season in its future. Just a bunch of 7-6 seasons forever. I hope I am wrong and Iowa's defense steps up and Iowa finally wins that division by beating Wisc, Neb, and Minn.

There seems to be very little excitement, minus the HawkNick posts/threads. I remember after the 2012 season things were bad, but it seemed like there was more optimism than this year.

Guess there's just so many unknowns, and the one known factor is our schemes and game day coaching being frustrating. We don't have the talent to overcome that (like 2009), so we can be anywhere from a 5 win team, to a 9 win with the schedule we have.

I'm a bit nervous about the first game. We typically come out extremely flat, nervous, etc....and we're going to be playing a very solid FCS school....which normally shouldn't bother any Div1 school 9 times out of 10 (there's always an upset once and a while)....but why does it feel like we're almost a underdog, at home...to a lower level school?

My thought is there's just too many connections with this team. Roberson (that's a great last name ;) ), has played in Kinnick and did OK as a true freshman. He's a dangerous player. They have CJB's uncle (or some family member) as their OC, so you have to think he'll know very well what Iowa does on defense. And on defense they have Spearman, who can obviously share some of the schemes Iowa does on both sides of the ball.

Anyway, off of that rant.....Just seems to be very little in info, excitement....threads

It's the most quiet it's been since the 70s anyway. It was like a morgue then.

Come on people let's make some noise! Do we need to get a squad of virtual cheerleaders in here or something?

I used to think it was crazy to spend the $10 or whatever it is for other sites... but I'm starting to ponder the idea as there really isn't much to view here on a daily basis. I'm hoping if I hold out for a couple weeks once the season starts, we'll see some more activity.

Yes it has but that's not all bad. Let's give this team some time to jell and hopefully they will win the fans back that have nothing good to say. I realize we have a lot of questions at a lot of different positions hopefully the team comes together and we have a good season. I guess I'm just a optimistic kind of guy and want the team to show everyone that we can get back to the top.Go Hawks

I want to be optimistic also, I try to be optimistic but I am also a grandpa and I just see the same thing every year where it is mostly coaching and philosophy that gives the hawks 1-3 extra losses each season.

Year in and year out, take a 10-2 team and they become 8-4, 9-3 becomes 7-5, whether it is poor personnel mgmt like in 2007 and 2008, and many times just not going for the kill shot or whatever you want to call it, to being woefully unprepared against fake punts, onside kicks, etc.

I still luv to watch the hawks, get pretty excited when games start, but the lack of strategic excitement and certain losses can bring a fan down.

I just loved watching PParker mold that 2013 defense, mid-2008 to mid-2010 was a great run, then some exciting games we lost, then the two losses to Minny in 2010-11 just about did it for me and KF's way of playing it close to the vest.

I am optimistic CJB on offense and Ott and King on defense will rise above it all this year.

Latest posts