Is This the Ferentz Era Low Point?

"It can be difficult to compare teams to past years, because of how much the game changes over the course of time. The game of college football is in the midst of a significant offensive transition, so to compare numbers from 2012 to 1999 doesn’t make a great deal of sense"

Realy? How much has the O really changed under KF.

Uh, you don't think the offense is different this year?

I am saying that luck isn't the only reason we lost those games.

The fact that the game against CMU was even a game, speaks volumes about other problems within the program. You obviously disagree, but "bad luck" shouldn't have had the opportunity to even play a role in that game.

Or the fact that our offense could only muster 6 points against ISU. Bad luck?

I agree with this and would add that "luck" didn't put Purdue in a position to attempt the last second field goal. The systemic problem of getting gashed up the middle on QB runs did (along with deciding to throw a 1 yard out to a slow TE on 4th and 3). Luck didn't put CMU in a position to recover the onside kick. Getting gashed in another 2 minute defense situation did. Knott's interception wasn't luck. It was a good play on an unnecessary forced throw. Indiana didn't get lucky when it won; it got the ball with 5 minutes left needing a couple of first downs and completely out-executed the defense. JVB's pick into the endzone against Indiana wasn't bad luck. It was a bad play. Bad luck is forcing a fumble and having the ball take a perfect bounce into the other team's hands allowing them to keep possession.

So when people say we are close to being 8-2, it's not a matter of luck. The better way to describe it in my opinion is that if we just improved our play a little bit we could be 8-2. The million dollar question is whether the players have the ability to play better, and whether the staff has the ability to get that out of the players.

I agree that in order for Iowa to have a special season (i.e. 9+ wins), it needs some luck and good breaks. Luck shouldn't be required to win 6 games against this schedule.

no its not bad luck, but Weisman dropping the go ahead TD pass against ISU
failing to recover a onside kick against CMU and their kicker kicking as career long is a factor
the Purdue kicker getting his longest fg kick aided by the wind
losing 4 games by 3 points or less,, sorry but its not like Iowa has been blown out
in 2008 5 games were decided by 4 points or less Iowa won 2 and lost 3
in 2010 5 games were decided by 4 points or less and 1 by 5 points losing 4 and winning 2 of those games
the margin between winning and losing is close

Actually - yes. The game against Arkansas St. shouldn't have been close, either. It beat actually losing that game, but still....

Comparing a low-scoring win in Happy Valley against Penn State compared to home games against CMU or Arkansas St.. apples & oranges.

That PSU team in 2004 was junk.

That's just it, other than 2002 and 1985, Iowa has never had an elite team in most of our lifetimes (and even those teams got crushed by Pac 10 teams in bowl games). We are now and have been for most of the past 30-ish years an average to slightly above average program. And Wisconsin has stolen our mojo and displaced us from that perch up near the big boys in the conference.

This.

Exactly. To be 4-6, with this schedule, is a complete coaching failure.

Exactly! Possibly the worst Big 10 conf. in history and one of the weakest schedules in history along with 4 home losses to poor teams (Except PSU) is inexcusable. There is not a coach in the country that could have not won 6 games.

I think this is the low point for a Ferentz coached team. What I'm basing this on is the fact that we are playing poorly but this is the first time that I'm not optimistic about next season. Every other year I could see bright spots and knew where to look for the improvement but this year Coach Ferentz seems to really believe that there is no hope and that does not make me comfortable.

That PSU team in 2004 was junk.

So it was. 4-7 (just looked it up). Didn't realize they were that bad that year.

But my point remains. Certain games should not have been close.. CMU, Arkansas St. UNI, etc. If anyone is going to tell me that we should not beat those teams by more than a Field Goal.. I mean common, REALLY?

I said after the Pedo St. game that Iowa would finish 4-8. This is a low point in KF era. It could get very ugly the next 2 weeks, sad to say.
I called 4-8 after the CMU game. You knew there were serious problems after losing that way to a team like that.

The more I think about it, the more I think the fake punt in the 2010 Wisconsin game was the low point. Hear me out. I expected this team to be pretty bad, so when we lose, it's kind of like "meh." But when you lose a game like that one where the Rose Bowl is riding on the game and then the team totally folded from that moment on (save for the bowl game), it feels 1000x worse as a fan than watching this current team struggle. At least now there is some hope for the future, but that 2010 team was the end of a narrow window in which Iowa had a shot at being near the top of the conference.

It was just a moment where KF was completely outcoached and he totally whiffed on an obvious fake punt. It was as if that singular play drained the swagger out of this program. To me that feeling was worse than 10 losses to each of Northwestern, ISU and Indiana.

The more I think about it, the more I think the fake punt in the 2010 Wisconsin game was the low point. Hear me out. I expected this team to be pretty bad, so when we lose, it's kind of like "meh." But when you lose a game like that one where the Rose Bowl is riding on the game and then the team totally folded from that moment on (save for the bowl game), it feels 1000x worse as a fan than watching this current team struggle. At least now there is some hope for the future, but that 2010 team was the end of a narrow window in which Iowa had a shot at being near the top of the conference.

It was just a moment where KF was completely outcoached and he totally whiffed on an obvious fake punt. It was as if that singular play drained the swagger out of this program. To me that feeling was worse than 10 losses to each of Northwestern, ISU and Indiana.

I'm not so sure about that okeefe.. The following week after the Wisconsin game, Iowa hammered #5 Michigan St. 37-6. So they still had life. Then, inexplicably, it struggled to win 18-13 @Indiana, which was the infamous "dropped TD pass" game that preserved the win.

Iowa coughed up that game @NW, but then showed up pretty strong for the OSU game. Had them on the ropes, but couldn't hold on a 4th and 10 late.

The following week, it didn't show up against Minnesota.

I guess I'm yet to figure that team out. The only pattern I can see is that the team didn't show up in road games against weaker opponents. Ditto for the 2011 game @Minnesota as well. Playing to the level of the competition has seemed to have been a theme lately.. It was like that in 2009 quite a bit as well, although it didn't really bite us (UNI, Arkansas State, and a 3-win Michigan team that pushed us to the brink in Kinnick).

Although I do agree that 2010 was a pretty low point from the perspective you pointed out.

Here's the schedule from 2010:
Iowa 2010 Schedule - Hawkeyes Home and Away - ESPN

This is the worst team in KF era!! The 99 and 00 teams were not his players or his program yet. Coming out of the most successful decade in Iowa football history, and we have not built on it!! Our recruiting has really fallen off and we are at least 2 seasons aways from being a contender again.

The past 3 years have progressively gotten worse. Next year will be the low point people will transfer leaving the cupboard even emptier next year. I say a year from now will be the lowest point.

I expect next year will be lower Than this year. Tougher schedule. New QB. Same lack of talent returning, which means they will start. Everyone knows that upperclassmen start for KF. Here is my starting line up predictions for next season:
Alvis SR............. Sokol JR
Davis JR................... Rogers SR
Trinca-Pasat JR............ Bullock JR
McMinn SO ..................Martin-Manley JR
Kirksey SR..................... Shumpert SR
Morris SR ........................CJF SR
Hitchens SR ...................Sherff JR
Lowery SR................... Donell JR
Miller SR................... Bofelli SR
Law JR.................... Blythe SO
Duford SO ....................Van Sloten SR

Not impressed by those line ups. At all.

I expect next year will be lower Than this year. Tougher schedule. New QB. Same lack of talent returning, which means they will start. Everyone knows that upperclassmen start for KF. Here is my starting line up predictions for next season:
Alvis SR............. Sokol JR
Davis JR................... Rogers SR
Trinca-Pasat JR............ Bullock JR
McMinn SO ..................Martin-Manley JR
Kirksey SR..................... Shumpert SR
Morris SR ........................CJF SR
Hitchens SR ...................Sherff JR
Lowery SR................... Donell JR
Miller SR................... Bofelli SR
Law JR.................... Blythe SO
Duford SO ....................Van Sloten SR

Not impressed by those line ups. At all.

At least get your stuff straight Cooper will be DL and so will Davis...with Ekakitie and Johnson playing tons.

Latest posts