Is this the biggest Iowa game in our generation?

No doubt guffus those were all huge games, they pale in comparison to this one. the team has accomplished something very few have ever done and are now looking to go to 13-0 which is rare enough in ALL of college football. I have been a fan since 1981 and there has never been a bigger game. This one trumps them all just because of where we are and where we could still go.

No, I would rate 1985 Iowa vs. Michigan higher because it was #1 vs. #2. It was a big deal. Plus its remembered well because Iowa won in dramatic fashion, which helps.

The Rose Bowl following the 1985 season was a big deal because if Iowa had won that game, Iowa could have finished maybe #2

If iowa would have won the Orange bowl following the 2002 season, iowa maybe could have finished #3.

The Iowa-OSU game in 2009 was a defacto CCG. If Iowa wins that game it goes to the Rose Bowl.

It seems like when Iowa loses big games, they do not get remembered as well as the big games they win.

If Iowa wins the 1991 Holiday Bowl, Iowa could have finished 11-1.

thanks, Debbie

Depends on the philosophy of Iowa's coaching. If coaching has changed as I've thought it changed, this kind of thing could be happening quite regularly. A win in playoffs could help recruiting.

First time for Iowa, though. B1G championship less than 10 years old. Playoffs less than 2 years old.

1985 Iowa vs Mich, #1 vs #2, both undefeated was huge...

but this is huger (forgive the made up word) in the new era of Big 10 divisional play as it is the very last game of the regular season with an amazing 12-0 Iowa having a chance to be perfect and win the Big 10 title outright.

I again agree it is the biggest game in history for its position in the schedule and what is at stake, go hawks

This sure feels like its the biggest since I have been going starting in 66-67 but I think History will be the better judge of such things.

I was at the game in 85 also and at that time it was huge 1vs2, but times change and our Hawkeyes are doing something that's never been done before were 12-0 going for 13-0 and into the playoffs to see who's National Champs.Yes this is Huge.Go Hawks 13-0 sounds real good.

Well I have been nauseous all day and expect to continue to feel that way all week. If that's any indication, yes, it's the biggest game in our history.

I've been nauseous since the beginning of last week prior to the Nebraska game. This week will be no different. I can't keep my mind off of the upcoming game. I'm going to be worthless at work this week. Good thing my boss is a Hawkeye fan as well. Since it's a night game Saturday will be the longest day in history. I'm actually hoping my wife has some honey-do's ready for me. Might as well stay busy or I'll just be pacing around the house aimlessly driving her nuts.

This certainly looks to be the biggest I can remember. The 1985 game against Michigan was pretty big in that Iowa was ranked #1 and Michigan was #2, and it was won at the end in dramatic fashion. Still, that was mid season.
The 1981 game against Michigan State was big as it put them in the Rose Bowl (with help from Ohio State, who beat Michigan that day.)
Still, nothing I can remember comes even close to this. I never thought I'd see the day.

To me here is the thing I have seen some "big games" for the Hawkeyes, but like you mention it required another team help them out. This is different because this teams control their own destiny.

The hay isn't in the barn, they just need to go 3-0 now!

This is the biggest game in the history of the program. It has very little to do with winning the B1G outright. That is great certainly this game has a Final 4 spot at stake. As long as the CFP stays at 4 teams any program with an invite will be in an elite club.

Going forward this is what programs and coaches will be judged on. How many Final 4s did you make and how you did when you got there.

Iowa has never played in a game where so much was at stake. Never. This game is easily the biggest game for this generation of Hawk fans.

Win this game, and each game that comes after it becomes the biggest game for this generation.

We may never see Iowa in this position ever again. It's exciting beyond words, and I think I want to throw up. Hope the players aren't as nervous as I am!

Iowa has never played in a game where so much was at stake. Never. This game is easily the biggest game for this generation of Hawk fans.Win this game, and each game that comes after it becomes the biggest game for this generation.We may never see Iowa in this position ever again. It's exciting beyond words, and I think I want to throw up. Hope the players aren't as nervous as I am!

Iowa has never played in a game where so much was at stake. Never. This game is easily the biggest game for this generation of Hawk fans.

Win this game, and each game that comes after it becomes the biggest game for this generation.

We may never see Iowa in this position ever again. It's exciting beyond words, and I think I want to throw up. Hope the players aren't as nervous as I am!

All I know is it's time to Gary Barta to earn his keep in the event that we lose. We deserve better than to have to play in the Chik Fil A Peach Bowl so Barta better be working his connections to get us into the Fiesta or somewhere better than the peach basket.

I've been nauseous since the beginning of last week prior to the Nebraska game. This week will be no different. I can't keep my mind off of the upcoming game. I'm going to be worthless at work this week. Good thing my boss is a Hawkeye fan as well. Since it's a night game Saturday will be the longest day in history. I'm actually hoping my wife has some honey-do's ready for me. Might as well stay busy or I'll just be pacing around the house aimlessly driving her nuts.

Settle down DP5555. Be confident. I used to get very nervous before most games but I was confident last week. I am confident the players and coaches can get it done and I know they have the wherewithall. I am confident therefore I am not nervous and my nervousness would be wasted prior to the game.

have some fun things ready to do on Saturday prior to the game.

As long as they continue to win, each game from here on out is the biggest in school history.

This is true. In my mid-40s now, and it's the biggest in my lifetime. The 1985 Iowa-Michigan (No. 1 vs. No. 2) was previous biggest in my mind. But every win from here on out the stakes are raised. Can't take it for granted that Iowa will be in this position again soon, so enjoy it while it's here.

All I know is it's time to Gary Barta to earn his keep in the event that we lose. We deserve better than to have to play in the Chik Fil A Peach Bowl so Barta better be working his connections to get us into the Fiesta or somewhere better than the peach basket.

Barta has zip, zero to do with Iowa's bowl destination if Iowa loses. The CFP committee slots the New Year's Six bowls. The Peach Bowl is not the Peach Bowl of the 1980s, it's one of the big boys in today's college football landscape.

1985 Michigan was obviously big given that it was 1 vs 2. College football is now bigger than anything besides the NFL. Given the exposure that is given for every game from here on out, the B1G Championship is the biggest game in Hawkeye history. Win on Saturday and the next game is even bigger. Thoughts of a National Championship start to become realistic if we reach the playoff. Bowl games are fun and all but Iowa has never been on this stage with this much at stake. I , for one, can not wait to be in Lucas Oil on Saturday screaming my lungs out with 40,000 members of Hawkeye Nation!!

We are playing for 2 more trophys including the most prestigious in the history of college football. We are playing to take 1 step closer to the first ever 15-0.

And, a shot at a Dr Pepper commercial next year where Larry Culprpper tells a sideline "It doesn't matter what happened the last 25 years, last years National champs weren't even ranked when the season started."

Latest posts