Is this the biggest Iowa game in our generation?

STLhawkeye20

Be kind to me. I'm probably on the younger side here so "generation" to me doesn't constitute as many years as it might for some of the big-dog posters on this board.

1) Chance to win an outright Big Ten Championship
2) Chance to make the College Football Playoff
3) Chance to make the Cotton/Orange bowl
4) Chance to complete a 13-0 season
5) Playing in our first "Big Ten Championship" game

We've been a fortunate fan base in that we've been witness to a lot of huge, important games. The 2002 Orange Bowl, 2009 Orange Bowl, Rose Bowls of the past era, etc...but there's just SO MUCH on the line here.

I would consider this Saturday to be the biggest Iowa game I can remember. What are the most important games you guys can remember?

Discuss.

I would personally say yes. And if we win this one then the next game would be the biggest. Being one win away from the college football playoff which is the 4 best teams in the country (in theory) is massively huge.

This certainly looks to be the biggest I can remember. The 1985 game against Michigan was pretty big in that Iowa was ranked #1 and Michigan was #2, and it was won at the end in dramatic fashion. Still, that was mid season.
The 1981 game against Michigan State was big as it put them in the Rose Bowl (with help from Ohio State, who beat Michigan that day.)
Still, nothing I can remember comes even close to this. I never thought I'd see the day.

Iowa has had some very big games before but I would say this is the biggest of all. Just 1 more win and onto the NC. That sounds awesome!

I was quite young in '58 so for me this is biggest for me. After that clinching the Rose Bowl berth in '81 would be next. The MSU game that year capped off years of frustration and disappointment. This next game with MSU is the opportunity to take all this program to a whole new level.

yes. Regardless of the amount of time you think a generation is I dare you to find a game more meaningful in the hawkeye archives.

Every game played prior to this one was the most important because they put us in this position. Don't let the pressure exceed the pleasure.

It's the biggest game in my 43 years. I'd say it will be a short lived biggest game in history as a playoff game will replace it. But yes, a historic season with the opportunity of a lifetime. My lifetime anyway. There have been some big games. But none like this. 12-0. Final four opportunity with ntnl championship on the horizon. This is it.

Well I have been nauseous all day and expect to continue to feel that way all week. If that's any indication, yes, it's the biggest game in our history.

As long as they continue to win, each game from here on out is the biggest in school history.

I'm 46 and IMO this is without question the biggest football game for any living Hawkeye Fan. I'm not overstating it either..if you think I am please tell me one bigger?

I would say yes. Can't even think of another that would make an argument against it. This is a season for all Hawkeye fans to remember. And this game will do nothing to diminish that if Iowa loses. Every game just adds more the great year. However, having said that, I would like to say that it would be great for Iowa to be the undisputed Big Ten Champion. Not shared. No asterisks.

This game without question, is the biggest game for the Hawkeyes, being a regional final with a chance to play in the final four, and win an outright Big Ten title for the first time since 1985.

I am so excited about this game, I have attended every Big Ten title game, and so excited to see the Hawks in the game this year. Hope to see lots of Black and Gold in Indy next weekend.

Forget recent history, this is the biggest game in
Iowa football history. Any game that you would compare it too in the 1930-50's is silly. This era of college sports is 1000x bigger with massive TV viewership and an all time popularity high for college football with the playoffs at stake? This game is number 1

No, I would rate 1985 Iowa vs. Michigan higher because it was #1 vs. #2. It was a big deal. Plus its remembered well because Iowa won in dramatic fashion, which helps.

The Rose Bowl following the 1985 season was a big deal because if Iowa had won that game, Iowa could have finished maybe #2

If iowa would have won the Orange bowl following the 2002 season, iowa maybe could have finished #3.

The Iowa-OSU game in 2009 was a defacto CCG. If Iowa wins that game it goes to the Rose Bowl.

It seems like when Iowa loses big games, they do not get remembered as well as the big games they win.

If Iowa wins the 1991 Holiday Bowl, Iowa could have finished 11-1.

Latest posts