Is this the best Iowa can do?

longtimer

Maybe We haven't been really bad but also haven't been really good. I know that some think that a change would most likely take us in the wrong direction and they may be right. But nothing ventured nothing gained. I would like to think that when we recruit a kid we tell him we are striving to win championships and make tournament runs, not that we are just looking to be what we are.
Sharm Shuerman coached a mediocre Iowa team until 1964. Enter Ralph Miller. championships 100 point a game before the 3 point shot and a tip in away from a huge tournament run in 70. Enter Dick Shultz Nice guy Licklighter level teams and Iowa back to the cellar. Enter Lute Olsen and unknown from small college in California. Takes us to a final 4 and ends up being Hall of famer. Enter George Ravling recruits maybe best class ever and Davis uses them to make another tournament run. Davis in 8 or 9 first round tournament games never lost one

Bottom line Fran is not going to be fired. Fran is not going to retire. We will"most likely" be a very mediocre team next year And there is still hope that Iowa can reach a higher level at some point in the future.. Nothing ventured

this year was never going to be the best we can do....

Fran prob has another 4 year run then they will probably part ways would be my guess.

Under Fran....I believe yes. I think this is the best it is going to get under him. I don't know.....maybe another 5 years of kicking tires and he can finally squeeze out a Sweet 16. lol

Ugly 3 game stretch to end the season. I surely wouldn't want Kris Murray on my NBA team. He's not ready for this level of competition, no way.

Mediocre is what Fran is and what he can do. Like it or lump it. A rim protector and emphasize defense a little more would help.

this year was never going to be the best we can do....

Fran prob has another 4 year run then they will probably part ways would be my guess.
I see your point, but at the same time ask myself what is "the best we can do"? Based on the consistency I've seen and this being as some say "one of the best 5 year stretches in Hawkeye History" what do we have to show for it? As much as I bleed black and gold and want to be positive I'm starting to think that "the best we can do" is make it to an actual weekend game the first weekend of the tournament. And I'm torn because I want Fran to succeed and like the offensive style we play, but simply don't understand why we can't perform well on the defensive side of the ball as well. If we want to be a perimeter team that's fine, but we need to have a plan B and also need to really improve shot selection if it's going to come down to hitting 3s and not just throwing up shit early in the shot clock trying to make something happen.

To put things in local perspective, during mcfran’s tenure, here’s how many dance wins our peers have compared to his 4:

ISU: 6 and counting
UNI: 4
Drake: 1 and counting

Put this into perspective…

To put things in local perspective, during mcfran’s tenure, here’s how many dance wins our peers have compared to his 4:

and the D-Bag looking coach at ClownU...already has a Sweet 16.

Even Ben over at PantherU has a Sweet 16.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's been good enough overall.. because it hasn't been.

I'm referring to this year... this year was a win to me because our team was not very good.

Last year was bad bad.

Another issue is that college basketball success is measured on a fluky single elimination tournament.

I think Fran has one more rotation of recruits then he either retires or gets fired.

This is not accurate...

Uni has only 2 ncaa wins since Fran has been here.

Fran also has 7 NCAA appearances (would have been 8 if not for covid)... Uni has 2 appearances,,, UNI hasnt been in the NCAA tournament in 7 years...

We have not been getting it done for sure.. but UNI mostly has been horrible.

now sure Iowa state has been better.. but we all knew that.

I think the best Iowa can do is get a 2 seed in the tourney. That's how I measure success. How often they get in and which seeds they get. Other that how bad it sucks to lose, I don't put any stock on tournament wins and losses. I put my stock on how well positioned we get for the tournament over the course of an entire season. Fran has done pretty good there and has only gotten better.

This is not accurate...

Uni has only 2 ncaa wins since Fran has been here.

Fran also has 7 NCAA appearances (would have been 8 if not for covid)... Uni has 2 appearances,,, UNI hasnt been in the NCAA tournament in 7 years...

We have not been getting it done for sure.. but UNI mostly has been horrible.

now sure Iowa state has been better.. but we all knew that.
False. Mcfran came in 2010. UNI had two wins that year, and one each in 15 & 16. What i said was fact. I didn’t say who has the better program between Iowa and isu, who has the best future. I simply stated fact.

I think the best Iowa can do is get a 2 seed in the tourney. That's how I measure success. How often they get in and which seeds they get. Other that how bad it sucks to lose, I don't put any stock on tournament wins and losses. I put my stock on how well positioned we get for the tournament over the course of an entire season. Fran has done pretty good there and has only gotten better.

Fair or unfair what you do in the tournament matters. Matt Painter is arguably the best coach in the B1G and people always mention his lack of success in the tournament. You may not put stock in wins and losses in the tournament, but many more people do.

Fair or unfair what you do in the tournament matters. Matt Painter is arguably the best coach in the B1G and people always mention his lack of success in the tournament. You may not put stock in wins and losses in the tournament, but many more people do.
doesn't mean it makes sense...

I don't like our tournament success... but the NCAA tournament is the biggest joke of a system for crowning a "champion"...

It's good drama though.

Latest posts