Is this our year to win the West?

On Petras, during the KF era we have had quite a few sophomore starting QBs. It seems like the general pattern has been that they have a good to great sophomore campaign, but then regress or plateau the next two seasons. I have yet to see a multiple year starters that took an appreciably positive jump between his first and second season as a full time starter. Am I wrong? If not, let's hope Petras breaks the pattern.
This has been de-bunked numerous times on HN forums with clear data. No, I won’t repeat.

The question usually hinges on whether Wisconsin’s QB
The question usually hinges on whether Wisconsin’s QB is just bad or historically bad, just bad they tend to win the West.
Wonder what both NW and Wisc lost/have returning this year. Don't think Nebby is in the running & Minn. lost alot [I think!]

With a full spring practice, all summer to be coached up, and real non-conf games, I can see it.
Just my opinion but I think that was a convenient excuse for how much Petras struggled. I just don't think he's good. I'd be shocked if he looks much better, if at all, even with spring practice and summer.

Just my opinion but I think that was a convenient excuse for how much Petras struggled. I just don't think he's good. I'd be shocked if he looks much better, if at all, even with spring practice and summer.
I think he'll pretty much dominate the non-conf. Remember, we won our last 6 in a row against some good teams [and some not so good]. Our new offensive line will have a lot to say in the matter, If they can keep Petras upright, I think we'll be ok. I'm hoping you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nope, we will piss down our leg and loose to someone we shouldn't have. It has happened every year except one.

Winning the west ain't a lot to get worked up about when the result of it for the foreseeable future is getting your nuts kicked in by OSU 65-3 the following week.

Our division is trash. It's like a contest to see who can whisper the loudest.

Give Maryland and Buttgers the boot, Add Pitt in the east and give them Purdue, and add Notre Dame to the west.
I mean, you can say the same of the other the division, the only reason they aren’t trash by this logic is because they have Ohio State. In terms of removals and expansion, totally agree, I just don’t think it will happen.

You can say this of every QB we’ve seen the last ten or so years, excluding CJB. I think they all go from average (If even that) to what you saw from Petras given the same offseason (or lack thereof) and distractions.

I think this is a year with home vs Indiana, and then at Iowa State we have a decent chance of starting 0-2. We dont have a warm up game vs midmajor this year. I feel like we need that warm up game more than most. Who knows but maybe 0-2 will prompt a change at QB. Im more excited about Duce Hogan than Padilla but nobody is more popular when your losing than the backup QB.

its sad but just hard for me to get excited about Petras. Throw to TE and give 25-30 carries to Goodson. Not sure how helpful our WR will be, I think we are gonna miss the ISM and Smith.

I think this is a year with home vs Indiana, and then at Iowa State we have a decent chance of starting 0-2. We dont have a warm up game vs midmajor this year. I feel like we need that warm up game more than most. Who knows but maybe 0-2 will prompt a change at QB. Im more excited about Duce Hogan than Padilla but nobody is more popular when your losing than the backup QB.

its sad but just hard for me to get excited about Petras. Throw to TE and give 25-30 carries to Goodson. Not sure how helpful our WR will be, I think we are gonna miss the ISM and Smith.
Actually, Petras had FAR MORE receptions by our WR corps than TE's last year and there is a lot of talent returning! The addition of our freshmen wideouts (and slot receivers) will give us (potentially), I believe, the best receiving group IN THE HISTORY OF IOWA FOOTBALL. It will be up to the offensive line to give Petras time to throw. Get excited!

Latest posts