Is this Iowa's year to go to the BCS National Championship?

I0WA

I got to thinking, wow Iowa has a lot of hype this preseason, but is this our year? I was thinking beyond the Rose Bowl, I was thinking National Championship. But then I thought to myself I almost was expecting to see Iowa in the National Championship game and was constantly thinking who they would play. With all this hype would even a Capital One Bowl be a appointment to Iowa fans?After all the thinking I went thru I thought yea it kinda would be. anything under a BCS game is a disappointment and I didnt know why. I guess as an Iowa fan that wasn't around in '58 I wanted to know what Florida, LSU, Alabama, and Texas felt as they were crowned champions. So I ask this question. Do you honestly believe Iowa will go to the National Championship game? I want to sooo bad and I know if they do lose a game(hope not) that the season would be a disappointment to me. I would be forever grateful to see the Hawks play for a National Championship.

no i don't think its going to happen. could it? sure. But i wouldn't bet on it.

I do agree though that I will be a little let down if we don't make a BCS game.

I don't see National Champs.......Honestly B10 champs is a bit of a long shot......I do see a solid season with 8-10 wins and a nice bowl. I am happy with that

I think the team and we as fans need to stay humble and understand that is what gets a team to a great season.....Not being like Oklahoma last year.....Huge expectations, a couple injuries, and a pretty poor showing for a very talented team.

Like the other post said........I'm going to "enjoy the ride" and just have some fun watchin my Hawks to their thing

The chances of that happening this year, or any other, are very slim. Not just for Iowa, but every team. Iowa is in a better position this year because of their starting position in the early polls, but they still most likely would need to win out. When was the last time Iowa did that? 30's?

Its fun talk now. Just enjoy the ride and dont get too down when they drop a game or two.

Would be great, but most likely not going to happen. I'm guessing 9-3, with a bowl win. Anything below 8 wins woud be a disappointment, anything above 9 is outstanding.

Stop this BS. If we win 9 games? Seriously? A team that returns 16 starters from an 11 win team, that was an injured ankle and a qb kneel at the horse shoe away from an undefeated season?

Here is the deal... if we stay healthy, anything less than 11 regular season wins is a MAJOR disappointment. Injuries = all bets off. But if we are healthy, there is absolutely no reason to be happy with anything less.

I'm in the "9 wins would be a disappointment" camp. We have a good team this year and a lot of the wins last year should have been by a bigger margin. If there was ever a year that screamed 10 regular season wins, it's this one.

Lightning doesn't strike the same place twice.

Iowa will most likely need for that to happen this year. There were a lot of good breaks that went Iowa's way last season. I think anyone will be hard pressed to say that Iowa won't need a lot of "luck" again this year.

Iowa is solid in every phase, but the Hawks play some really good teams. As we have already seen in the last 2 days, it only takes a couple incidents to shake up the depth chart.

Everything depends on the O-line. Survive September with noticeable improvement as the month goes on and we might be playing for it all in October/November.

Likely? No
Possible? Oh yeah

If we are going to do it...why not now?

We are explosive as we have been on offense and defense taht I can remember in the KF era. We obviously have to come out and fight like hell but we have the potential.

Healthy we COULD, doesnt mean we will. I will be happy with a Rose or BCS game. Disappointed with less.

The possibilities are endless but these two strike me as the most interesting. Say Iowa does go undefeated and faces up with Boise St for the NCG. Not far fetched to think the Pac 10, B12 and SEC could all turn out 1-loss conference champions. That game would spark alot of talk.

OR Iowa wins the B10 with 1 loss to go to the Rose and faces a rematch with Pac 10 conference champion Arizona.

BUT the best scenario out there has got to be Nebby and Iowa meeting up in the NCG. Great kick off to what will be one of colleges best annual rivalries.

I love the team as much as any of you guys and yes they have the ability to win it at some point before I die...but even though I am only 28, I seriously doubt that I will live long enough to see a Hawkeye championship. I hope for it but I will never expect it even though they could realistically do it any given year. I would glady admit that I was wrong though if they did. It would probably be the happiest day of my life until I have a kid. As far as the B10 championship is concerned...I think they will def. win at least a few more of those before I am gone.

There are about six teams with enough talent to win it all. It all comes down to the bounce of an oblong ball or if some one's girl friend is giving him @!$%. I think Iowa is in that list and have as good of chance as any to win it all. Also they have the same chance to go 7-5. What ever their record is, it will be fun to watch. If I can watch them play in the 1970's I can watch them play now, even with an average season.

Iowa has been about 6 plays away from 2 perfect seasons in a row (6 losses by a total of 22 points since '08 I believe) but we were also a handful of plays away from being a .500 ballclub last year. There is a lot of parity. Sure, we're pretty good, but I think we're looking at an 8-4 or 9-3 season at best. The law of averages says Stanzi's gotta lose a game eventually, he hasn't lost a game he's played the whole time since 2008 at Memorial Stadium in Champaign. It's just like when a guy bats .400 for a month in baseball, unless he's Ted Williams he'll have another month where he bats .200 that balances him out to the average. Stanzi ain't Ted Williams. This year just feels so much like 2005 all over again. I think we're net even with the football gods, which means they owe us a loss to a bad call (Arizona game will probably have a Sunbelt crew full of Arizona alums or something crazy like that), a loss to a strange bounce (like NU's onside kick recovery in 2005) and two losses to teams we shouldn't beat anyway (OSU and MSU or Wisky).

Plus, the media wonks are almost always wrong about the teams at the top of the conference. OSU is a lock for first or second, which means either Iowa or Wisky doesn't belong in the top 3. I think Sparty finally turns the corner and Iowa finishes around 4th in the conference and lands in a decent January 1 bowl game. I ain't buying my National Title Game tickets just yet, but I plan on crushing a helluva lot of non-union Coors Lights in the parking lot no matter what our record is.

We roll the dice usually in almost half our games. Last year we won more than our fair share of those close games and the year before we lost a few more. The difference in talent level between the 2009 and 2008 teams was minuscule at best. The ball just bounced a bit differently in each of those years. We won the Orange Bowl last year, and at the same token almost lost to UNI... should have lost to UNI.

We have borderline talent to win it all this year, but we are up against the wall starting out ranked 10th. A school like Iowa absolutely as to run the table or the media will shut us out.

Oddly enough, 3 of the last 4 teams who have won the BCS had a loss on their record. So you can see how hard it is, even for the champions to run the table. But all of these teams started the season ranked higher than 10th, and they are big name programs. As much as we like to think we are a big name program, we aren't in the nation's eyes.

For use to win it all we need some extreme luck on all fronts. We can't have two other big name schools ranked ahead of us run the table, we need to stay healthy, we need to have the ball bounce our way or at least not bounce against us in about 5-6 games.

Latest posts