Is there cause for concern?

I retract my previous optimism for Nate.
Question now is - what will it take for KF to bench him?

I'm going to wait for at least one game of poor performance before I start pondering what it would take to bench him.

I think people are being a little unfair to NS. His first year...protection was awful...he got sacked often...and even when he didn't he was constantly harassed. Last year...he just didn't play make the plays in big moments or people would be thinking much differently. It was one or two plays in each of those losses.

I'm hoping he's improved accuracy in big moments...because if he has...we have a shot to make a run.

Yes. There is a cause for concern. The cause for concern is your support of Iowa football. It manifests itself in many ways, every year, and every year it's different. There is only one cure for concern, stop supporting the team. You'll no longer be concerned.

Tate
Stanzi
CJB
Rudock
Dandy Vandy

Of those 5 QBs, how many of them won fewer games in their final Hawkeye-year versus the year prior???

ALL OF THEM
Let me expand on that. EVERY QB during the KF era has won his most games in the year he earned the starting position outright. Some only started their senior year, some were passed on the depth chart, some battled injuries. There were a variety of reasons but that is what happened. Until last year. Stanley won one more game in his second year as the Hawkeye starting QB. I expect to see him add one or two more wins this season. Of course I would take more.

Let me expand on that. EVERY QB during the KF era has won his most games in the year he earned the starting position outright. Some only started their senior year, some were passed on the depth chart, some battled injuries. There were a variety of reasons but that is what happened. Until last year. Stanley won one more game in his second year as the Hawkeye starting QB. I expect to see him add one or two more wins this season. Of course I would take more.

So Stanzi didn't win the position outright in 2008? I think that can be debated. I would agree with the idea that QB starters seem to be at their best early in their career. The more they get "coached up" the more they seem to be playing not-to-lose. Considering the "style" of the HC, that wouldn't surprise many people.
As to what you said about Stanley, he may indeed buck that trend. If so, I'll be prepared to give BF 51% of the credit as I believe BF isn't as sold on playing-not-to-lose as his father.

So Stanzi didn't win the position outright in 2008? I think that can be debated. I would agree with the idea that QB starters seem to be at their best early in their career. The more they get "coached up" the more they seem to be playing not-to-lose. Considering the "style" of the HC, that wouldn't surprise many people.
As to what you said about Stanley, he may indeed buck that trend. If so, I'll be prepared to give BF 51% of the credit as I believe BF isn't as sold on playing-not-to-lose as his father.
Thanks for explaining that part about getting coached up. I have always wondered about it and never could quite put my finger on it. This in depth stuff and learning experiences are what make this place such a treasure trove.

While I have you on the line, I want to ask your opinion on the whole placement of the exercise bikes on the sidelines thing. I mean, to me, how the staff puts them between the 15 and 20 yard line on the north end is just fricking brilliant. Like, it totally makes strategic sense and I would never have thought of that. But—they just DON’T get used to their full potential during games and I can’t figure out why. I remember back in ‘15...I was down in row 2 and saw Tevaun Smith go hop on one of them and...well, he got this disgusted look on his face, and shook his head and jumped back off of it right away. He got MAYBE five or six pedals out of the thing and never even touched the handle bars. Like there was just something not right about it and I never have been able to figure it out—always kind of bugged me.

I was hoping maybe you could give some insight on the whole thing. Like do they need to have three instead of just the two, or do they need to move the kicking net down a little bit more out of the way?? Thanks for your time (and just the all around effort you put in around here), I’ll hang up and listen. I’m sure it’s something simple you’ve already noticed that I’m just not seeing.

Last edited:

Latest posts