Is there cause for concern?

Ironic coming from me, I realize, but Iowa under ferentz is hardly qb u. Kirks philosophy is to run 60% of the time. He wins by stopping the other team. Playing field position. Playing conservative. Running the ball. Short passes, keeping the clock moving, no turnovers or penalties. Never in his gameplan do you see play action passes and gadget plays and keeping the other team guessing. Staying aggressive offensively. Playing wide open, etc. So, with that...shy of the b10 commissioner or gary barta changing scheduling philosophies or the big Iowa donors waking up someday, you have little to worry about assuming you are satisfied with the way things have been going because I don’t foresee them being much different this year. That’s how kf and gb roll

An awful lot of what you just said is true - that is Kirk's philosophy and it has served him and the U of I very well but to be honest, I am not satisfied either..... But I also realize that it's not exactly like there would be any reason what so ever for big donors to "wake up". 3 of the last 4 starting QB's have been drafted to the NFL, Stanley likely makes it 4 of their last 5. The program is 37-16 since 2015 with a division title, 1 top ten finish, a Rose Bowl and 1 top 25 finish. The other 2 seasons they won 8 games both years. That's an envious 4 year stretch for just about any school that's not a blue blood.

So, while I am not satisfied and I want more, I also feel like I might expect too much from a program that historically hasn't shown the ability to play at much higher heights.

Kirk Ferentz went for it on 4th down 25 times in 2018...good for 19th most in the country. No play action passes...pretty much all our stuff is play action...unless we are in the gun...and we still fake run action half the time. Please go back and do some homework...we went for a fake field goal against Nebraska...did the same and scored against Minnesota. Our special teams play has some gadgets.

every school has the over the shoulder throw to a lineman for a TD in the playbook.

Aaron White - doesn't have a jump shot
Uthoff doesn't have killer instinct
Tyler Cook isn't that good
Nate Stanley is the reason Iowa hasn't won more...oh me oh my the over throws
Jok doesn't play D
Noah Fant takes plays off

all of those aren't necessarily false or completely true - but they are things that just get driven in to the ground and I dunno if it's just habit stance that posters just repeat every thing they read or if they form opinions for themselves, but it's every season in every sport with every fan base and we aren't unique. As an Iowa fan and a fan of sports in general, it's very en vogue to always dump on your best players.

Luckily, I think social media has been around enough that maybe the young individuals/players are kind of tone deaf to it now and learned to live with it. Hopefully people roll with the evolution of it and not take too seriously. We as individuals have to learn to live with it and evolve with it, so hopefully that has gotten better and will continue to get better over the years.

Stanley and players like him have to remember that 98% of the posters never had the skill to even wear a jok strap for a Div 1 team or program. So, sit back in your chair and chuckle while preparing to play Div 1 football while we all wish we could have.

I think I am one of the only posters on here not that concerned about our QB. He's had some bad games in his career, but overwhelmingly has been a positive asset for this program the last 2 seasons. I don't think Stanley get's benched for any reason whatsoever this season unless Iowa is up so big that they are getting other QB's work.

No, you are not the only one.

An awful lot of what you just said is true - that is Kirk's philosophy and it has served him and the U of I very well but to be honest, I am not satisfied either..... But I also realize that it's not exactly like there would be any reason what so ever for big donors to "wake up". 3 of the last 4 starting QB's have been drafted to the NFL, Stanley likely makes it 4 of their last 5. The program is 37-16 since 2015 with a division title, 1 top ten finish, a Rose Bowl and 1 top 25 finish. The other 2 seasons they won 8 games both years. That's an envious 4 year stretch for just about any school that's not a blue blood.

So, while I am not satisfied and I want more, I also feel like I might expect too much from a program that historically hasn't shown the ability to play at much higher heights.
Not getting into this again. Happy “Fry” - day. Lol

Side note. Nothing like shittin' on the senior QB a week before the first game. That's gotta help his confidence.

I'm sure any starting D1 athlete doesn't care what anyone sitting behind a keyboard on message board of a fan site think. Honestly, if my ability to play a sport ever got to the point where it was being criticized routinely on a message board then I've got the biggest grin on my face because chances are I accomplished something athletically that not a single one of them did.

We can criticize all we want. He's doing what most of us dreamed about doing on Saturday's so while it may get deep from time to time, and deservedly so. I'd bet there isn't a person on this board that wouldn't like to be doing what he's doing on Saturday's.

Ironic coming from me, I realize, but Iowa under ferentz is hardly qb u. Kirks philosophy is to run 60% of the time. He wins by stopping the other team. Playing field position. Playing conservative. Running the ball. Short passes, keeping the clock moving, no turnovers or penalties. Never in his gameplan do you see play action passes and gadget plays and keeping the other team guessing. Staying aggressive offensively. Playing wide open, etc. So, with that...shy of the b10 commissioner or gary barta changing scheduling philosophies or the big Iowa donors waking up someday, you have little to worry about assuming you are satisfied with the way things have been going because I don’t foresee them being much different this year. That’s how kf and gb roll
Not that ironic, this post missed the mark as much as your other ones do

In 2 open, public practices Nate has been, at best, below average. In Wednesday's camp pictures, it showed Oj with at least 2 interceptions, which would have been against Nate since KF always goes 1's v 1's. There haven't really been any positive comments on Nate's performance during camp.....KF even went so far as to say that Nate needs to learn to settle down and smile some.

With our WR room finally at full capacity, with at least 5 receivers with Power 5 ability, we can't afford to have a shitty year at QB.

So I'm interested to see how he comes out and plays in Game 1 vs Miami OH, since my understanding is that they have their entire secondary back. If he sucks ass, I have a feeling it's gonna be a long year....

Tate
Stanzi
CJB
Rudock
Dandy Vandy

Of those 5 QBs, how many of them won fewer games in their final Hawkeye-year versus the year prior???

ALL OF THEM

In 2 open, public practices Nate has been, at best, below average. In Wednesday's camp pictures, it showed Oj with at least 2 interceptions, which would have been against Nate since KF always goes 1's v 1's. There haven't really been any positive comments on Nate's performance during camp.....KF even went so far as to say that Nate needs to learn to settle down and smile some.

With our WR room finally at full capacity, with at least 5 receivers with Power 5 ability, we can't afford to have a shitty year at QB.

So I'm interested to see how he comes out and plays in Game 1 vs Miami OH, since my understanding is that they have their entire secondary back. If he sucks ass, I have a feeling it's gonna be a long year....

I am right there with you. I sold my two season tickets and the one's for all of Iowa's away games on ebay.

Yup. That would be the statistically drive NFL brand of football. I am ok with that. But, of course, I want another undefeated regular season, like the one we just recently enjoyed. Or, even a 9 win, like 2018.

Luckily, I think social media has been around enough that maybe the young individuals/players are kind of tone deaf to it now and learned to live with it. Hopefully people roll with the evolution of it and not take too seriously. We as individuals have to learn to live with it and evolve with it, so hopefully that has gotten better and will continue to get better over the years.

Stanley and players like him have to remember that 98% of the posters never had the skill to even wear a jok strap for a Div 1 team or program. So, sit back in your chair and chuckle while preparing to play Div 1 football while we all wish we could have.

I would seriously conclude, that given the quality of the football knowledge on this site (including me), Iowa players laugh at us more than worry about what we say.

If he does suck in the first two games I hope Ferentz has a quick trigger and pulls him out.
He will take every snap this season no matter how bad he is. He was awful at times last season and took every snap. He is what he is. He's not all of a sudden going to snap out of it and become much better than what he has been. At this point in his career his accuracy issues, and confidence issues should be solved. This is practice we are talking about. If he looks this bad in practice, then what do you think the games are going to be like? More pressure, sub par receivers again, and 2 first round draft picks aren't here to bail him out anymore. Everyone knows to stack everyone within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, stop the run, and make Stanley and our receivers beat you. Until they burn people consistently, which I don't see happening, then its going to be rough going for this offense.

Last edited:

If I was Stanley, I'd be hacking HN website for find out who some of you motherf%$&ers are. I'd be paying you a visit.

God...I hope to hell these guys don't pay attention to some of the morons in here. It's fine to express your opinions...but do so in a respectful way.

He will take every snap this season no matter how bad he is. He was awful at times last season and took every snap. He is what he is. He's not all of a sudden going to snap out of it and become much better than what he has been. At this point in his career his accuracy issues, and confidence issues should be solved. This is practice we are talking about. If he looks this bad in practice, then what do you think the games are going to be like? More pressure, sub par receivers again, and 2 first round draft picks aren't here to bail him out anymore. Everyone knows to stack everyone within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage, stop the run, and make Stanley and our receivers beat you. Until they burn people consistently, which I don't see happening, then its going to be rough going for this offense.

Man, you fucked up that long-ass post in just the second sentence. WTG.

Of course. Although, if he is the best QB on the roster, that would factor into the decision, I suppose.

"Best" meaning most experienced and familiar with the system...not necessarily most talented. I'd love to see Nate have his best season yet...and I think that's in the cards. On the other hand...the loss of 2 NFL-ready tight ends as his safety blanket could have significant implications. We'll know in a couple of months.

My first question on Stanley this year is, "How healthy is he going to be?" In these days of HIPAA, we just aren't ever going to be told the extent of someone's injuries. But I have a pretty good idea that he had far more issues last year than anyone would let on, starting with that thumb. And what is bothersome is that, apparently a Stanley with a (possibly REALLY) bad thumb was still better than either of his back-ups healthy.

One more thing. If we are going to re-hash criticism let's get it right. Aaron White disappeared in both key situations and key games (on a key, potential game-winning end-of-game possession, if four Hawkeye players touched the ball, the one who didn't was named White); Tyler Cook was FAR better than he often showed, and everyone knew it, which was the rub; Noah Fant gave the coaches way too many reasons to play him fewer and fewer plays as last season went on - penalties, mental lapses, wrong routes, and ostensibly, eventually tipping plays to the other team.

Latest posts