Is there cause for concern?

SpiderRico

In 2 open, public practices Nate has been, at best, below average. In Wednesday's camp pictures, it showed Oj with at least 2 interceptions, which would have been against Nate since KF always goes 1's v 1's. There haven't really been any positive comments on Nate's performance during camp.....KF even went so far as to say that Nate needs to learn to settle down and smile some.

With our WR room finally at full capacity, with at least 5 receivers with Power 5 ability, we can't afford to have a shitty year at QB.

So I'm interested to see how he comes out and plays in Game 1 vs Miami OH, since my understanding is that they have their entire secondary back. If he sucks ass, I have a feeling it's gonna be a long year....

I’ll just copy and paste from a recent post on another thread;

Yep, and as was stated on BTN that Iowa had TWO tight ends go to the NFL in the same year which is a first for any school. Also, in most cases what you see in a quarterback’s junior year is what you get in their senior year. In fact more pressure will be on him because of the above mentioned players being in the NFL, and Stanley knowing that he choked in pressure and game changing situations. Stanley knew the cameras were there for the big show and he wanted to press to put on a good display and get the fan base excited. So you go back to what KF said in that he needs to relax and enjoy being out there. When he gets uptight things don’t usually work out. Some players are gamers and some are not. I hope Stanley is up to the task but I have serious doubts.

If there is one trend under Ferentz that can calm you down, it should be that the team always has its best records when multiyear starting QBs come back for their senior years.

Nate Stanley was behind me this morning at stoplight on a scooter, I was sweating it until he went around me, I did not want to be responsible for ending his career. Yes it really happened.

Glad to see he showed good mobility there. :D

You know what we could really use on this board?

Another Nate Stanley thread.

The season really needs to start.

giphy.gif

You know what we could really use on this board?

Another Nate Stanley thread.

The season really needs to start.

giphy.gif

Lol, this could have easily been posted under one of those threads. The video reminds me of my regular reaction to watching a Greg Davis offense.

She had GDS. Greg Davis Syndrome.

Last edited:
Nate Stanley was behind me this morning at stoplight on a scooter, I was sweating it until he went around me, I did not want to be responsible for ending his career. Yes it really happened.

I had a moped hit the back of my car yesterday while I was stopped at a stoplight. All of a sudden my car shook, looked in my review mirror and saw a guy. Hopefully he didn't spill his coffee. He was holding a covered mug in his L hand which I'm sure is the hand he tried to brake with. When pulled over he said he had some sand in his brakes. I'm thinking BS, it's trying to drive with a freaking coffee mug. The guy was like deer in headlights, but it wasn't Stanley. Ya gotta be kind of a moron to kid a parked car with a moped. It seriously happened. Downtown IC .

I think I am one of the only posters on here not that concerned about our QB. He's had some bad games in his career, but overwhelmingly has been a positive asset for this program the last 2 seasons. I don't think Stanley get's benched for any reason whatsoever this season unless Iowa is up so big that they are getting other QB's work.

Side note. Nothing like shittin' on the senior QB a week before the first game. That's gotta help his confidence.

Aaron White - doesn't have a jump shot
Uthoff doesn't have killer instinct
Tyler Cook isn't that good
Nate Stanley is the reason Iowa hasn't won more...oh me oh my the over throws
Jok doesn't play D
Noah Fant takes plays off

all of those aren't necessarily false or completely true - but they are things that just get driven in to the ground and I dunno if it's just habit stance that posters just repeat every thing they read or if they form opinions for themselves, but it's every season in every sport with every fan base and we aren't unique. As an Iowa fan and a fan of sports in general, it's very en vogue to always dump on your best players.

I think I am one of the only posters on here not that concerned about our QB. He's had some bad games in his career, but overwhelmingly has been a positive asset for this program the last 2 seasons. I don't think Stanley get's benched for any reason whatsoever this season unless Iowa is up so big that they are getting other QB's work.

I don't care if the kid goes 0-12 this year. I was at the 55-24 drubbing of OSU and that kid will always be a legend to me.

In 2 open, public practices Nate has been, at best, below average. In Wednesday's camp pictures, it showed Oj with at least 2 interceptions, which would have been against Nate since KF always goes 1's v 1's. There haven't really been any positive comments on Nate's performance during camp.....KF even went so far as to say that Nate needs to learn to settle down and smile some.

With our WR room finally at full capacity, with at least 5 receivers with Power 5 ability, we can't afford to have a shitty year at QB.

So I'm interested to see how he comes out and plays in Game 1 vs Miami OH, since my understanding is that they have their entire secondary back. If he sucks ass, I have a feeling it's gonna be a long year....
Ironic coming from me, I realize, but Iowa under ferentz is hardly qb u. Kirks philosophy is to run 60% of the time. He wins by stopping the other team. Playing field position. Playing conservative. Running the ball. Short passes, keeping the clock moving, no turnovers or penalties. Never in his gameplan do you see play action passes and gadget plays and keeping the other team guessing. Staying aggressive offensively. Playing wide open, etc. So, with that...shy of the b10 commissioner or gary barta changing scheduling philosophies or the big Iowa donors waking up someday, you have little to worry about assuming you are satisfied with the way things have been going because I don’t foresee them being much different this year. That’s how kf and gb roll

Ironic coming from me, I realize, but Iowa under ferentz is hardly qb u. Kirks philosophy is to run 60% of the time. He wins by stopping the other team. Playing field position. Playing conservative. Running the ball. Short passes, keeping the clock moving, no turnovers or penalties. Never in his gameplan do you see play action passes and gadget plays and keeping the other team guessing. Staying aggressive offensively. Playing wide open, etc. So, with that...shy of the b10 commissioner or gary barta changing scheduling philosophies or the big Iowa donors waking up someday, you have little to worry about assuming you are satisfied with the way things have been going because I don’t foresee them being much different this year. That’s how kf and gb roll

Kirk Ferentz went for it on 4th down 25 times in 2018...good for 19th most in the country. No play action passes...pretty much all our stuff is play action...unless we are in the gun...and we still fake run action half the time. Please go back and do some homework...we went for a fake field goal against Nebraska...did the same and scored against Minnesota. Our special teams play has some gadgets.

Latest posts