Is there anyone who believes Lick will still be coach next year?

So then Stormin, I'm genuinely curious, with everything that is out there, what is convincing you that he is going to get another year?

BTW, this is me trying not to be snarky, despite that it may seem the opposite. So it is a serious question.

You watch!!

I don't think it is possible to get "a whole lot worse"

Oh, I expect it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

And to the OP, I think it is very possible Lick returns for another year.

I understand that Barta and Lick remained behind in Indianapolis after the loss. I can see two scenarios:

1) Barta is discussing with Lick the results of his discussions with the players/donors/others associated with the program and laying out a new set of goals and objectives for Lick to accomplish. This will include greater communication, a stronger public impression, more work to market the program, reorganizing the staff to include a recruiter and find more ways to tap into the AAU world. There will be probably additional oversight, feedback, month-by-month progress reports, etc. In effect, Lick is being put on probation to see how the next year goes. Lick can either sign on and agree to the new set of requirements, or he can pursue other opportunities, ala Steve Alford.

2) Barta is meeting with Lick to discuss his termination and negotiate his buyout.

Of these two scenarios, I am beginning to believe the first is the much stronger possibility.

So then Stormin, I'm genuinely curious, with everything that is out there, what is convincing you that he is going to get another year?

BTW, this is me trying not to be snarky, despite that it may seem the opposite. So it is a serious question.

Because the staff is going on like they have planned, Barta and Lickliter will have their end of the year meeting (think Alford's come to Jesus meeting) - and from there we will find out what's going to happen. Up until the past month, before sides were drawn, Lickliter was very much going to be the coach at Iowa for the forseeable future. We will see how much this past two weeks has affected his decisions. He's only had Lickliter for 3 of his 7 years - a 7 year contract he drew up for Lick.

I have absolutely no inside information, but I too think that Lickliter will be back. As said above, Barta hired this guy. I would forecast that the goal of improvement next year (with a post season tournament) be given to Lick, just like Barta did with Alford, before he decided to leave. He has this good recruiting class coming in, I am guessing he will have a chance to coach them for at least one season.

I understand that Barta and Lick remained behind in Indianapolis after the loss. I can see two scenarios:

1) Barta is discussing with Lick the results of his discussions with the players/donors/others associated with the program and laying out a new set of goals and objectives for Lick to accomplish. This will include greater communication, a stronger public impression, more work to market the program, reorganizing the staff to include a recruiter and find more ways to tap into the AAU world. There will be probably additional oversight, feedback, month-by-month progress reports, etc. In effect, Lick is being put on probation to see how the next year goes. Lick can either sign on and agree to the new set of requirements, or he can pursue other opportunities, ala Steve Alford.

2) Barta is meeting with Lick to discuss his termination and negotiate his buyout.

Of these two scenarios, I am beginning to believe the first is the much stronger possibility.
#1 is highly unlikely. The problem that has be created these last 2 days are recruiting for the future, IMO can't effectively be done...

Also, the question could be asked back to you.

Why are you 100% sure Lickliter is done?

For what its worth (probably not much), i heard the announcement that Lick will not come back will come on Tuesday. Timing makes sense if true

and if lick is back there WILL be more tranfers and he will be a fault again for them.

Lick was coming back next year until he parted company with Tucker. Ironically, many on here thought that was a good thing at the time. That's when Lick lost more players, and his job.

I have absolutely no inside information, but I too think that Lickliter will be back. As said above, Barta hired this guy. I would forecast that the goal of improvement next year (with a post season tournament) be given to Lick, just like Barta did with Alford, before he decided to leave. He has this good recruiting class coming in, I am guessing he will have a chance to coach them for at least one season.

Why would you put an unrealistic set of expectations on any coach? Its not fair to Lickliter to say, "you have to make the postseason next year or your out", knowing full well that is highly unlikely to happen. I don't see it going down like that...this team got beat by huge margins at the end of the year and is going nowhere fast under Lickliter. The die is cast and maybe it doesn't happen now, maybe it happens in the summer, but I have to believe its going to happen.

Stormin-

The only reason I think it is 100% is because Barta's silence speaks volumes.

He is letting Hawkeye Nation (the base not the site) rejoice in a new hire. If he wanted Lick back next year, he could have stated that in his statement. By not doing so, as Jon says, there is no bridge to cross back over.

I do think there was a time and a way to save Lick's job, but that time I believe has come and gone.

Latest posts