Is there another "all-time" Iowa WR on this team known to KF but deployed elsewhere?

desihawk

KF's remarks from his latest press conference: "I think to this day if Micah had played offense, he would have been our all-time leading receiver. I believe that. I don't think he'd be playing in the NFL right now. Maybe he would. It wouldn't surprise me."

Hypothetical scenario: Assume that King is the best WR on the Iowa team and is guaranteed to go for 100+ yards on 7 or so catches every game. Do your own math to assess the drop-off at CB if Jackson/Rugamba takeover King's spot for 15 snaps. Should KF keep King at CB or use him at WR also?

Ferentz is known to make strange comments from time to time. This is another example of that IMO. He should have known that this comment who get under the skin of Iowa fans. Maybe he did know and said it anyway???

The real question is why would it get under anyone's skin? That is their problem not Kirk's.

Let me start by saying I think Ferentz is a good coach and I've never been part of the crowd that wants him fired. But if he has a player, not to mention two players, that could have been all-time WR and he played them at CB, he is officially the dumbest human being that has ever walked a sideline and he does deserve to be fired.

I thought there was a general rule that the best athletes play defense. Offense is for guys with specific sets of skills, catching or throwing the ball, blocking guys. While the freaks of nature become defensive linemen, and the absolute most athletic or fastest and agile guys play cornerback.

Let me start by saying I think Ferentz is a good coach and I've never been part of the crowd that wants him fired. But if he has a player, not to mention two players, that could have been all-time WR and he played them at CB, he is officially the dumbest human being that has ever walked a sideline and he does deserve to be fired.

Deon Sanders probably could have been an all-time great receiver at Florida State. Does that make Bobby Bowden the dumbest human being to ever walk a sideline. Coaches make decisions on where a player will best help a team. Micah was recruited as a DB and that is where he played. Ferentz is just saying what a great athlete Micah is.

It kinda shows his mindset tho and maybe shows why wide receiver has always been such a problem. Our best players get put on defense because defense is so much more important to him.

Yeah he is dumb for playing one of the best corners to ever play at Iowa at corner.... Man, that is really stupid to play a guy who is having a successful career in the NFL at defensive back at that same position. They sure wasted his talent.
God, he was complementing Hyde on the great athlete that he is. People just like to find reasons to bitch about something.

This would be a rare topic I'd agree with Kurt on. He's starting in the NFL as a d-back, and he was outstanding at Iowa. He wasn't mismanaged, now Desmond king running some plays? Iowa is desperate for the offensive contribution that hyde's teams didn't need.

I'm not bitching about a thing. I'm simply stating that Ferentz is an idiot if if he truly believes what he said about Hyde & didn't play him at WR. Same with King. I don't believe he meant what he said. I think its just his nonsensical stuff that comes out here & there.

Iowa's biggest weakness over the last 20 years has been at WR. The last Iowa WR to play in an actual NFL game is Kasper. If you have players that can address and improve your biggest weakness and don't put them there, then yes you are flat out dumb.

As for the Bowden comparison, he already had great athletes at WR. There wasn't a big need to move Deon there. For Iowa, they've desperately needed WRs for years.

For the benefit of Iowa and the player, I think KF and staff put the players in positions that give them the best shot of getting drafted. He did go on to say that he didn't think Hyde would make an NFL receiver. That kind of tells me they try to get them into positions that would give them the best chance in the NFL.

This benefits Iowa because a large recruiting selling point for Iowa is getting players drafted in the NFL. So, there is an interest in Iowa sake at putting players in those positions even thought they could have excelled at a WR at Iowa.

I see it a little differently, but I understand what youre saying. I think what KF might be saying is that while MH and DK might have been great receivers, they are even more important at the CB position.

That said, while I understand it maybe not be a great idea to try and go full "ironman" mode with DK, not getting your best athlete at least few snaps, even if to nothing more than give the defense something to think about....seems...well...weird.

Do Micah and Des magically grow a couple of inches when they play offense and turn into the next incarnations of Randy Moss?

I think he is just saying that if somebody like KMM can end up being Iowa's all time receptions leader, then Hyde could easily have ended up the top receptions guy if he would have been a reciever.

But that's not the same thing as saying Hyde could have been the next Randy Moss.

It does say a lot that likely the most prolific wr in the last 20+ years was recruited to be a QB. I'm not sure exactly what that says, but it says a lot.

Latest posts