Is there an above avg QB and defense ready for return to 8-4 to 10-2

uihawk82

Face it, after all the recruiting, where it looks like the hawks signed some good, talented players, the main thing that connects the best years of the KF era are a strong defense coupled with above avg to very good QB play.

2002 with Banks, 03 with Chandler, 04 with Tate (Tate played well his other years)
2008-10 with Stanzi
2011 - JVB

The hawks had the constant of very good to great defenses, special teams and decent running attacks these years but they had their best QB play.

If any QB can step up and deliver passes, read the dee, and play smart the hawks can surprise even in 2013.

Who will it be?

I honestly think the D is one year away, because more specific than a good D is a good DLine. When the hawks get that and hopefully have some linebackers in the wings that can be avg. or better that is when the D will be good. As far as QB goes, I have no idea. I'm hoping we don't have to wait until Scheel arrives to have a good QB.

I think to get to 8-4 the defense is going to have to make a huge jump. Especially on the defensive line. I think that the tackles are getting better but defensive end has to make an even bigger jump. There are no playmakers at defensive end right now. Dom Alvis is a good but he isn't explosive. Let's face it, if the d-line doesn't step up, it doesn't matter if Iowa starts all three returning linebackers with experience or not.

As for QB, I think Iowa has options but it only matters what happens when the ball is kicked off and they trot out onto that field. I don't think we can see any worse out of the QB position than we did last year. I just have to believe it will get better even with a QB with no experience at the division 1 level.

I concur, we got ZERO push upfront with 4 down linemen last year. Even if we had some decent DB's who could play man to man and free up some safeties or linebackers to blitz that would help. If didn't rush at least 5 last year the opposing QB's had time to read Moby Dick back there.

I concur, we got ZERO push upfront with 4 down linemen last year. Even if we had some decent DB's who could play man to man and free up some safeties or linebackers to blitz that would help. If didn't rush at least 5 last year the opposing QB's had time to read Moby Dick back there.

Yes, football is so interesting in that coaches can actually focus on the other teams weakness. A baseball team cant always hit the ball at the worst outfielder (even dave kingman).

Last year the hawks had too many parts not working together

But jeez if we have a qb who can just deliver the ball and some receivers who catch better then the running game will open up and vice versa. all of you know this.

But damn I want it to happen. And if the offense scores enough are defense should be good enough.

Face it, after all the recruiting, where it looks like the hawks signed some good, talented players, the main thing that connects the best years of the KF era are a strong defense coupled with above avg to very good QB play.

2002 with Banks, 03 with Chandler, 04 with Tate (Tate played well his other years)
2008-10 with Stanzi
2011 - JVB

The hawks had the constant of very good to great defenses, special teams and decent running attacks these years but they had their best QB play.

If any QB can step up and deliver passes, read the dee, and play smart the hawks can surprise even in 2013.

Who will it be?

I know it is tough for many of you bird brains to figure out, but I will try to explain this to you again. If GD implements the same offense as last year then you will see similar results. He couldn't do it anymore at Texas with 5 star players so what makes you kool-aid drinkers think that it will magically work with 2 and 3 star players. You fools will soon see than JVB wasn't the problem.

As for the defense, some of you seem to have a better understanding. Our defense is only effective when he get pressure with our front four. That didn't happen last year and we all know what happened. If we can't get better in that area than the defense will see the same results.

Get good everyone. :)

I know it is tough for many of you bird brains to figure out, but I will try to explain this to you again. If GD implements the same offense as last year then you will see similar results. He couldn't do it anymore at Texas with 5 star players so what makes you kool-aid drinkers think that it will magically work with 2 and 3 star players. You fools will soon see than JVB wasn't the problem.
:)

OK where is your evidence that GD's offenses were so bad and he couldnt get it done at Texas???

I want you to post a reply with texas's offensive numbers under GD.

I just looked at the texas 2000 offensive stats and they scored 38+ pts per game and had total offense of 440 yds per game.

I am hoping GD can get it done so the hawks get it done.

A gunslinging qb will help

The D line will be better this year, but the competition is a step up also. A lot is going to depend on how much the D line improves from last year. Linebackers should be very good. Secondary good. The O line should be stellar. They need to get going early to get the running game moving. Lots of potential at running back.
The negatives are the new QB, and the recievers.

Iowa could be(should be?) 4-0 going to Minnesota. The challenge in the first four games is ISU and they lost a bunch of their defense and key players on offense. After Minny, there's a lot of tough battles.

I am still waiting for this stellar OL play. We routinely finish near the bottom of the big10 in rushing, and some years we can't protect the passer very well. JVB didn't get sacked a lot last year (minus the opening game), but that was due to him checking down within 2 seconds of receiving the ball....hence a crap load of 2 yard outs.

We have two guys coming back from injuries, and you just never know how they will recover. Some guys recover quickly, others seem to take a long time to get back to playing shape or form.

OL is a huge question mark, along with nearly every other position minus LB as we should all know what we're getting out of that group.

I am still waiting for this stellar OL play. We routinely finish near the bottom of the big10 in rushing, and some years we can't protect the passer very well. JVB didn't get sacked a lot last year (minus the opening game), but that was due to him checking down within 2 seconds of receiving the ball....hence a crap load of 2 yard outs.

We have two guys coming back from injuries, and you just never know how they will recover. Some guys recover quickly, others seem to take a long time to get back to playing shape or form.

OL is a huge question mark, along with nearly every other position minus LB as we should all know what we're getting out of that group.

I just love this argument. Do people not understand KF's style of play. It isn't to churn out a ton of yards/points. It is to control the clock and slow it way down. Keep the ball in the offenses hands. Now I understand it doesn't look that way because the staff can't seem to find a way to get it done but that is the philosophy behind it. I don't like it because it isn't working, if it were we would all consider KF a genius.

TX is still in the crapper after firing GD. Our OL does need to show up better, and earn the right to be called bullies. The reason our DE's are not looking as good as years past is we had two young DT's that did not ever command a double team. Our D gave up just a smidge over what OSU gave up, and we played a ton of younger guys.
I am just glad somebody got the r/o figured out.

I do not have high hopes for our defense as we failed to address our pressing need at DE. If we can't get pressure from our front four we struggle, that will be a weakness for a couple seasons.

I think we have some QB talent on the roster, Im positive that JD can start teaching them his system and well get better results.

I think a question is how quickly can Jaleel and Faith develop, how far have they come, and how strong and confident can they get? They're, on paper, a year away. They could develop quicker, could be slower. If the D Line can make big strides this offseason, this defense can be good, as our linebackers are good, and we return experience at all other positions. (Yes we lost Hyde, but Draper played some, and in addition, Lile should be healthy and King in the mix.

As for the defense, some of you seem to have a better understanding. Our defense is only effective when he get pressure with our front four. That didn't happen last year and we all know what happened. If we can't get better in that area than the defense will see the same results.

Get good everyone. :)
That was Kirk's offense, not Davis'.

Total O stats at Texas over last several years

2004- 11th
2005- 2nd
2006- 26th
2007- 13th
2008- 11th
2009- 11th
2010- 74th GD fired
2011- 50th
2012- 37th

Derp. Yep sure looks like GD was the problem.

Don't know what a derp is, but I suppose you are trying to degrade me. And it just breaks my heart. How can you do that to people??????????????????????????????

There is something that you aren't realizing, or you do realize it and are purposefully leaving it out. That is - Texas has the biggest athletic department budget in America. And I think OSU is second, but I don't think it's close. Point is that Texas should always have the best skill players. There were at least two years when ISU had a better running back than Texas. That should never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read that again.

Also Texas should never have a drop off like they did under Davis. Probably don't have to tell you that ISU beat Texas one year. That should also never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, the biggest athletic dpt budget in America, drop off in talent at both running back & qb, and big drop off in offensive performance numbers - wonder if that's why he got fired????????????????

Speaking of big drop off, kinda sounds like his current boss.

FreedComanche

Don't know what a derp is, but I suppose you are trying to degrade me. And it just breaks my heart. How can you do that to people??????????????????????????????

There is something that you aren't realizing, or you do realize it and are purposefully leaving it out. That is - Texas has the biggest athletic department budget in America. And I think OSU is second, but I don't think it's close. Point is that Texas should always have the best skill players. There were at least two years when ISU had a better running back than Texas. That should never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Read that again.

Also Texas should never have a drop off like they did under Davis. Probably don't have to tell you that ISU beat Texas one year. That should also never happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gee, the biggest athletic dpt budget in America, drop off in talent at both running back & qb, and big drop off in offensive performance numbers - wonder if that's why he got fired????????????????

Speaking of big drop off, kinda sounds like his current boss.

FreedComanche

So what on Gods green earth makes you think Iowa should EVER beat OSU? You need to re-read what you wrote!
You know that there are a ton of "misses" when it comes to 5star players right? So Davis had one bad year and got canned, where is TX now? Still canning people (or letting coaches sleep with co workers) and looking for the problem. Maybe there was no problem and a couple of coaches misread or did not get what they thought they would out of some recruits, ON ONE year or maybe two. One bad year is not going to happen in TX, somebody has to be to blame. Now they are on what number of bad years? Anything tell you they have it turned around?

Latest posts